Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: diet

Re: diet

Yeah, mine has D3 in it...it's repcal...should be fine. What is the brand?
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Tetrafauna reptocal from petsmart.
    mike

It's calcium and D3? Should be good. Just dust a little on the food every 3-4 feedings...that's what I have heard is best. If you give a varied diet you shouldn't need supplements, but if you are not feeding pinkies, worms and fish...it helps to supplement. My vet said you have to be careful with multivitamins because you can give too much, but that calcium supplements are safe because you can't really overdose on calcium.
    Marnie
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Never shed

thank you for answering me!!!!I came from Napoli,Italy.Ok than I can catch worms from my garden It's very large and we never use any kind of chemical substances .But I don't know wich species of worms I can give,maybe some of them are not edible,I don't know...
    However here it's simple to get fresh salmon and sometimes trouts too,than it's all right.So I'll give Salmon,trouts,worms,chicken,turkey supplementing with calcium powder plus D3.
    I'm feeding my thamnophis every 3 days...It's good or I should give more or less often?the vendor told me 1 time at week but I thought It was too little.

You were right. One time a week isn't enough under most circumstances.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

A friend pointed out to me politely that I really shouldn't speak in absolutes...so let me correct what I said earlier about the calcium supplements. You can give too much calcium...any vitamin can be dangerous if you give too much. You must be very careful with supplements. The best way to ensure that your snake gets the vitamins and nutrients that it needs is to feed a varied diet. If you feed a varied diet, you should not need supplements. My vet told me that he recommends giving a varied diet and not using supplements. You should only use supplements if you cannot provide the necessary diet. If you must give calcium and D3, it is best to only dust a little on the food every 3 or 4 feedings. However, if you are feeding fish and worms and chicken and turkey, I do not think you need to use the supplements. I'm not sure what other members think about that.

Depending on the size of the snake...I feed my adult snake every 4 or 5 days and my young snake every 2 or 3 days. I feed the snake until the snake looks fat.

Can you take a picture of the worms in your garden and post the picture for us?

Do we have any other members from Italy on the forum?
    Marnie

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

In genaral, garden worms, dug from the dirt in a chemical free garden are good- my snakes go crazy over freshly dug worms.
    Beware of the red worms used for composting. These are often sold as fishing bait- 'redworms' 'leafworms' or "Pan fish worms'. If you are buying from a bait store or mass market sporting goods store look for Night Crawlers. In my area they are often sold in different sizes, but always as crawlers.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes...I buy my nightcrawlers from a marine store near my house in the cold months, but when it is warm in the spring and summer I get them out of my backyard. We have many nightcrawlers all over my back yard and we do not use any chemicals on our lawn. My snakes love fresh worms too!
    Marnie

I was just at the grocery store and checking the frozen tilapia fillets. The packaging says that carbon monoxide is used to preserve color. Would those be safe to use? It didn't say anything about sodium polytriphosphate.
    mike

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast