Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: T.s.parietalis temps

"Third shed, A Success" aquamentus_11's Avatar

T.s.parietalis temps

I've got a little female red-sided who only comes out after the heat lamp has shut off and temps are down to about 69-71F. I'm experimenting today with using a CHE for heat to see if maybe it's the light she dislikes. However, as has been pointed out to me, this subspecies ranges pretty far north and I have to consider if maybe she just likes cooler temps like this. I find it hard to believe that they would like things that cold, but crazier things have happened. Any other red-sided keepers out there that have found that their snakes like it cooler/darker?

Re: T.s.parietalis temps

Quote Originally Posted by aquamentus_11 View Post
    I've got a little female red-sided who only comes out after the heat lamp has shut off and temps are down to about 69-71F. I'm experimenting today with using a CHE for heat to see if maybe it's the light she dislikes. However, as has been pointed out to me, this subspecies ranges pretty far north and I have to consider if maybe she just likes cooler temps like this. I find it hard to believe that they would like things that cold, but crazier things have happened. Any other red-sided keepers out there that have found that their snakes like it cooler/darker?
    If she is WC you can expect her to want it cooler at this time of year. My CB red-sideds are quite happy to 'bask' (I provide belly heat) in full view under the lighting (although you're more likely to see the male, I have found the female to be more inclined to stay under cover). Is your light on a thermostat - and what heat gradient do you have in the enclosure when the light is on?
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

She's CB and I keep a gradient of low 80F's to low 70's during the day with a basking spot at around 85 or so. The light isn't on a thermostat, but is on a timer. I have a thermostat, but have a heat mat running through it.

"Preparing For Third shed"

I have a 7 month red sided CB , She spends time on both sides but I feel as if she really likes the dark since she is always in her hide and on the cooler side of the tank. It just depends what you snake likes.
    John !
    " A snake is only as calm as its handler "

0.1 - T.s.parietalis

The temps sound fine - as long as she's still eating then it just sounds like she's shy of the light. I find females a little more secretive than males in general though.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

getting rid of the glaring light worked like a charm: she was out groovin around all day. i guess i'll have to get a dual timer to set up a UVB and my heat. i'll probably just have the UVB run from noon - 5pm or so.

Okay...so I'm confused...what kind of light did you have before and what kind of light do you have now? Because my UVB flourescent light is much brighter than my basking light. My snakes also dislike the bright light...but they dislike the UVB light and prefer the basking light...which is either a 40 or 60 watt light bulb in a dome light fixture. Glad to hear she was out and about all day btw...great news!! I just ordered a blue moonlight bulb for my albino...I'm wondering if maybe the red light he has now is too much light for him...albinos don't like much light at all.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    albinos don't like much light at all.
    They also should never be exposed to UV .... a point to remember.
    EasternGirl likes this.

my basking bulb was a uvb emitter as well, though in low levels. the care sheet suggested 8-10h of exposure/day, but i think that's too much in her case. i am now using a 60w che and have ordered a compact 5.0 reptisun.

Okay...well just to let you know...I have a 5.0 reptisun...now mine is not compact, but my snakes seem to think it is a bit bright for them...that is the UVB bulb that I am referring to that they don't like so much...but maybe the compact one isn't as bright. You may want to try just using 40 or 60 watt light bulb...even a soft white perhaps...for basking. I just use regular light bulbs...many other members do as well, for basking...saves money....when you aren't using the UVB. They aren't as bright as UVB bulbs, generally. My snakes like them for basking.

And Greg...only red, black or blue night heat bulbs for my albino...never any UV bulbs . Thanks!
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast