PDA

View Full Version : help on the way

drache
05-29-2007, 05:03 PM
wow
i can hardly believe it
Mikhaila fed most of the snakes today
she fed the garter girls, and the babies, two of the kings, and the hognose
okay, so most of them are easy, but still . . .
she's doing it with chopsticks
next expo I'm definitely getting some tongs

Snaky
05-31-2007, 03:31 PM
Well, I won't even try it, I wouldn't even reach the cage if it was only 10 cm:D

I don't think it can harm with the chopsticks, the snake's don't really miss that much. But it will be easier with the tongs. I just use a long pair of tweezers for the feeding, works great.

Elliot
05-31-2007, 03:47 PM
I just use my hand lol

adamanteus
05-31-2007, 03:48 PM
I just use my hand lol

I often feed by hand too. It's as easy as anything else.:)

drache
05-31-2007, 08:25 PM
my kings still startle me when they strike at food
and I don't like getting mouse smell on my fingers
I've only gotten bit by accident by one of the smaller kings and a couple of garters
i'd frankly prefer not to have it happen with the big king, because he already packs quite a punch
not that I think it would be a big , but it's not necessary
I've held off on tongs because I happen to be good with chopsticks - almost ambidextrous too

Elliot
05-31-2007, 08:35 PM
Well I only have a ribbon snake so obviously it doesn't pack much punch, if I had kings I'd probably do the same thing.

duh duh duh
05-31-2007, 10:25 PM
I still bear the scar from my ribbon snake bite as a kid.

I was hand feeding a fish and turned away for a second and he latched onto my thumb. It took me a second to realized what happened and I yanked and I got cut. I didn't tell my teacher or my parents because I was afraid they would make me get rid of the snake. It got infected and scarred.

Neat story though.

GarterGuy
06-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Yeh I have always used a pair of 12in. forceps to feed all my snakes. I prefer not to be accidentally bitten by any of my snakes. Not that I fear it, I've been bitten probably over 200 times now (used to run a pet store, snakes usually aren't real happy after they've been shipped...LOL), but it can injure the snakes mouth, especially if you "jerk" away from the bite.
Roy

drache
06-02-2007, 11:58 AM
. . . but it can injure the snakes mouth, especially if you "jerk" away from the bite.
Roy
I'd not even considered that
it's true that when getting bitten even by a small snake, my impulse is to jerk awy or try to shake the snake off

I also like not having to wash my hands anywhere near as often when I use implements