PDA

View Full Version : Dinky escaped.... well not really

Morph
06-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Had a MAJOR panic earlier today. I opened up the viv to change the water and was surprised to see no signs of him anywhere. i lifted the hides, nothing. I lifted the water bowl, nothing. I raked through the substrate and yet again nothing.
So i started pulling out the furniture to see if i could find him, thinking that he'd found a way to escape. After about an hour of looking i went back to the viv and saw about 5mm of his tail poking out from behind the background!!!

Needless to say i was extremely relieved and immediately took out the background to save me having yet another heart attack :rolleyes:

Not great news but thought i would share my latest in a long string of animal oriented entertainment :)

drache
06-09-2007, 05:55 PM
I've had that happen
they hang out in the darnedest placed

Morph
06-09-2007, 05:57 PM
it made me laugh cos he's got so many hideing places and yet prefers hiding behind a piece of paper. i'm sure i have many more similar events to come :)

adamanteus
06-10-2007, 03:04 AM
I've had them get inside the strip light fittings sometimes!

Morph
06-10-2007, 03:44 AM
I've had them get inside the strip light fittings sometimes!

Haha that made me giggle. I can just immagine that!

Stefan-A
06-10-2007, 07:56 AM
Oh I've been there. :) Lost a 95cm female in the substrate on Thursday. Took me 20+ minutes to find her.

And then there's the reason why I named her after Patricia Tallman.. ;)

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/stunts1.jpg

Who wants to guess how long it took before it occurred to me to look in that spot? :D Above the swinging door, picture taken from below.

drache
06-10-2007, 08:21 AM
my xenochrophis seem to love those spots along the top of the tank frame

Snaky
06-10-2007, 12:45 PM
I think everybody of us already experienced this:D
They are a mast at 'disappearing' and yet still being in their enclosure.

Lee
06-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Lol I've done this, its especially easy to lose them in an enclosure thats as big as mine. I lost some as a kid. I kept them outside in big industrial buckets, I left a few outside one day, some babies and an adult next to the shed, so the could sun themselves. Neighbor kids let them loose, found the adult though, was such a releif hehe.

Seere121
06-11-2007, 08:55 PM
When I lived with my room-mates in Massachusetts, we had a communal garter snake tank, with 5 garters in it, the smallest garter snake, despite our best efforts of placing heavy objects on the lid, would manage to escape through the lid, we would nearly always find him across the kitchen, down the stairs, and down the hall in his owners room, patiently waiting to be found. Once we had to dig to the bottom of our 30 gallon trash bin because he thought he smelled food in there.

ssssnakeluvr
06-13-2007, 09:20 PM
I have had newborns crawl out of the water dish and stick to the glass of aquariums, climbed right up to the top!!!!!!

Snaky
06-14-2007, 03:33 AM
I have had newborns crawl out of the water dish and stick to the glass of aquariums, climbed right up to the top!!!!!!It's known that they can do that. So whenever someone builds an outdoor enclosure, it's best to take that into account.;)

Morph
06-14-2007, 05:17 AM
he DID escape this morning!!! found him curled up on the window ledge behing his tank, basking in the sun... i realised i forgot to put all the screws back into the vent when i was installing the light.

I'll never make that mistake again!

Snaky
06-14-2007, 08:30 AM
They are real escape artists, the smallest whole is enough for them to squeeze through. Good thing you found him this quickly.

Stefan-A
06-14-2007, 08:47 AM
I'll never make that mistake again!
And thanks to this little reminder, I'll never make that mistake. ;)