PDA

View Full Version : water basins

drache
06-11-2007, 04:26 AM
since our move is imminent, I've been leaving my enclosures alone, although changes are on my mind
this is one of the issues I've been puzzling over:
I want to give many of my animals bigger water basins - most urgently the indo garters and the plated lizards
ever since my awful water bowl incident a few months back, changing water has become even more cumbersome than it was previously, so I'm looking for solutions
two ideas I already know I will be incorporating are: cementing in a barrier to prevent the substrate from getting into the space where the water sits, and to put enclosures with a lot of water higher up, so I can siphon out the water prior to removing the basin for cleaning
any additional ideas?

GarterGuy
06-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Those are both good ideas, but the only problem is that by putting a permanent water basin in the tank, it makes it a lot harder to disinfect it. I've give that a go myself once and went back to individual water dishes. Just an opinion though.:)
Roy

adamanteus
06-11-2007, 01:18 PM
I use ceramic bowls cemented in place. Dead easy to clean and disinfect.

Stefan-A
06-11-2007, 01:26 PM
The only thing that matters to me is how easy the bowl is to (re)move and clean. I personally wouldn't want any permanent solutions.

drache
06-11-2007, 02:20 PM
no
I wasn't going to cement the basins themselves in - just a barrier to keep substrate from getting under the basin
the basin itself will come out for cleaning
the reason I want to be able to siphon them out first, is because it's difficult to maneuver a large basin of poopy water without spilling
since I have several tanks that qualify, and strictly speaking most of them ought to have fresh water every day, it seems expedient to set it up so that I can just siphon all of them out, collect the basins, clean them, put them back, and refill them
also I want there to be nothing in those designated tub places that a snake can hide under
still working on the details

Snaky
06-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Gijs & Sabine use a solution that you can compare with that. They have a ceramic bowl that is placed on the ground. In that bowl they have a plastic, removable bowl. So the ceramic bowl can be surrounded by substrate, no problem there. Yet it can also easily be taken out to clean it, together with the cleaning of the whole cage. The plastic bowl fits nicely in the ceramic one and is taken out for the daily water changes.

But maybe they see this try of an explanation of me and can post a picture of it;)