PDA

View Full Version : Translating app.?

Invisible Snake
09-07-2012, 12:01 AM
It would be great if an app. can be added/incorporated to the forum that translated posts to different languages.

I've noticed we have forum members from different parts of the world and can't help but feel they may be reluctant to post because they are not fluent in English. While the majority of them know basic English, I feel they would contribute a lot more if they read posts in their native language and were able to post in the same manner.

katach
09-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Good idea.

Stefan-A
09-07-2012, 01:31 AM
Google Translate is available for Chrome as an app.

infernalis
09-07-2012, 05:32 AM
I have found that most translating software is inaccurate and sometimes too literal, meaning that in many languages, nouns, verbs and adjectives are located in different parts of the sentence, so the software will produce translations that may not make sense to one person or the other.

snake man
09-07-2012, 05:33 AM
There are also smart phone apps but they have problems, as stated above.

infernalis
09-07-2012, 05:45 AM
even the difference between UK and USA English dialects can create confusion with many people.

South American Spanish is not the same as the dialect spoken in Spain, Portuguese differs between Brasil and Portugal, and South African (Boer) Dutch is different than dialects spoken in the Netherlands. The list goes on.

Stefan-A
09-07-2012, 05:48 AM
I have found that most translating software is inaccurate and sometimes too literal, meaning that in many languages, nouns, verbs and adjectives are located in different parts of the sentence, so the software will produce translations that may not make sense to one person or the other.
Most of the time you still get a pretty good idea.

Stefan-A
09-07-2012, 05:53 AM
South African (Boer) Dutch is different than dialects spoken in the Netherlands. The list goes on.
Afrikaans? A mix of over half a dozen languages but 9/10 Dutch.

infernalis
09-07-2012, 05:55 AM
Most of the time you still get a pretty good idea.

Yes, a lot better of an idea than trying to decipher an unknown language all by yourself.

infernalis
09-07-2012, 06:00 AM
Afrikaans? A mix of over half a dozen languages but 9/10 Dutch.

Yes, Afrikaans. quite disturbing what is happening to those people.

EasternGirl
09-07-2012, 08:41 AM
It's true...the Spanish I learned in school is quite different than the Spanish that my Mexican side of the family speaks. I basically had to learn Mexican Spanish in order to speak correctly to them. However, if I speak the more formal Spanish that I learned in school...which is more like Spanish spoken in Spain...my family does understand what I am saying...they just laugh at me a lot. :D

-MARWOLAETH-
09-07-2012, 04:45 PM
I've noticed huge differences between American and Uk English.Some words have different meanings for example "fanny pack" has a VERY different meaning to people from the UK.lol

Invisible Snake
09-07-2012, 05:46 PM
I've noticed huge differences between American and Uk English.Some words have different meanings for example "fanny pack" has a VERY different meaning to people from the UK.lol

Yeah I've noticed that too, lol. Like most ppl in the UK refer to cigarettes as a... well in America it is considered a derogatory term.

-MARWOLAETH-
09-08-2012, 06:59 AM
Yeah I've noticed that too, lol. Like most ppl in the UK refer to cigarettes as a... well in America it is considered a derogatory term.English in Britain varies also often dialects change within a matter of miles it's quit remarkable for such a small country.Also Welsh varies a lot.People from North Wales speak a very different Welsh to that which I speak.Those who aren't familiar with Welsh think it's a completely different language and I can't understand a bloody word their saying most of the time lol