PDA

View Full Version : Hey, my names Carl and i know nothing about snakes

knowsnothing
10-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Hey guys, my names Carl and I'm in Maryland. Just outside of Washington DC.
Well like i said in my general thread I'm just starting off with snakes after i actually found a checkered Garter in my room, no idea what the species name is. Well i've already learned a lot from these forums and look forward to talking to all of you more. and if you have any suggestions on my other topic please dont hesistate to post it, i could use all the help i can get:D

Thamnophis
10-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Hi Carl, welcome on this forum.

A checkered garter snake would be Thamnophis marcianus, but this species does not live in Maryland or Washington DC.
It could be a Eastern Garter snake, Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis.
Take a look here http://images.google.nl/images?q=thamnophis+sirtalis+sirtalis&hl=nl&btnG=Afbeeldingen+zoeken if your snake looks like this species.
Maybe you can post a picture.

knowsnothing
10-06-2006, 06:40 AM
sure, ill snap some photos when i get home.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/42/Thamnophis_marcianus.jpg/240px-Thamnophis_marcianus.jpg

thats out of wiki and pretty much exactly what he looks like. if i run to petsmart today what should i buy? heating lamp, woodchips and... anything else please let me know. also what should i feed a tiny little snake like this?

Thamnophis
10-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Maryland is on the east-side of the USA?

In that part of the USA T. marcianus is not native.
Maybe it is an escaped specimen.

In the shop they can advice you what terrarium you need.
Smelt (small ones) or worms are the food you must try.

knowsnothing
10-06-2006, 11:26 AM
yeah im on the east coast of the us and it is odd, normally when ive seen garters they're black, like i said though this one looks like a baby and is definately checkered. and its really weird how she? managed to get inside my house, ive never heard of a snake sneaking in before! well anyways let me get it a nice setup and feed it and ill be sure to post pics

Thamnophis
10-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Let's wait for the pictures before we start determinating the snake.

Escaped snakes form another snakekeeper can be found everywhere, so also in a house.
You know nobody in your neighbourhood that keeps snakes?

knowsnothing
10-07-2006, 11:41 AM
you know i dont really know anyone here thats ever kept a snake, but like i said before this ones super small im wondering how young it is.

ssssnakeluvr
10-07-2006, 04:35 PM
sounds like a newborn from late this summer. from that area, could be an eastern. most garters have a checker pattern. easterns can be light colored also..but lets see a pic so we can be sure what species it is....