PDA

View Full Version : what type of garter

abcat1993
10-09-2006, 04:06 PM
here it is. I was wondering if it was a butlers in which case i would let go.

Thamnophis
10-09-2006, 11:32 PM
It is impossible to determine if this is a T. butleri drom this picture.
Where (Country & County) did you find it?

abcat1993
10-10-2006, 06:51 AM
I found it in southeastern wisconsin in the US where it is a threatened species

abcat1993
10-10-2006, 09:13 PM
I need to know soon so HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boots
10-10-2006, 10:26 PM
It is hard to tell from the picture, but if you even think it might be a protected species, I would not even think twice. If it is listed as a threatened species, but not protected, I would still release it since I would rather leave the wild garter in the wild. There are more then enough captive breed garter now a days, and more are relatively inexpensive. If you have only had it a couple of days, it would be better to release it and purchase a captive breed garter, then risk keeping one that is threatened or protected. Just my two cents! :)

Jason

Thamnophis
10-11-2006, 02:10 AM
Thamnophis butleri does appear in South-East Wisconsin and as far as I know it is a protected/threatened species overthere.

My advice: release it on the same spot where you found it. Just to be sure it can prepare for hibernation.

abcat1993
10-11-2006, 07:04 AM
wil it be okay to release it after a week or two?

Thamnophis
10-11-2006, 11:34 AM
I do not know what the weather is in your neighbourhood. When it is getting cold it already is too late. When the sun still shines every day, you can release it.
Personally I wouldn't wait another two weeks. Why should you do that?

abcat1993
10-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Well i live about 2 hours from where i caught it and I probably won't go back to my grandparents house (where I caught it) until then. So unless you think that I should let it go in my local forest preserve (I live in Winnetka IL, which is a small suburb of Chicago on Lake michigan), I will wait.

PS: If you don't know where that is just go to Mapquest

abcat1993
10-11-2006, 03:01 PM
here are some more pictures of it and it's current tank.

ssssnakeluvr
10-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Not a good idea to release it where you are if it's a butler's...there are no butlers in that area. I'm leaning a little towards eastern garter from what I can see on the pic. Butler's are smaller garters. I used to catch them in Michigan a lot on the base I was stationed at. From my experience, looking at the size of the snake, size of the eyes on the head, it looks like a juvenile. Butler's are around 15-20 inches full grown. It looks like that one is half that size....its hard to tell actual length in the pic....The eyes are still pretty large in comparison to the head size so it still has a lot of growing to do... also that one looks like it has a more pronounced checker pattern than I have seen on butlers.... That's my guess on this cute little snake.

abcat1993
10-12-2006, 06:20 PM
thanks. any tips on getting it to eat though? I have had it for 2 days in it's current 15 gallon tank with a live fish for 2 days and a few waxworms for 1 day. If it is going into brumation, what should I do?

ssssnakeluvr
10-12-2006, 08:16 PM
they won't eat waxworms, they are unable to digest insects. Just leave the ish in the bowl for a few days. If the snakes refuses food for a week or 2 that's ok. Try putting 2 or 3 more little fish in the bowl, make sure to change the water every day so the fish stay alive. If the snake doesn't eat after 2 weeks, his digestive system will also be cleared so he can be brumated. Put him in a cool place...garage or basement where the temps stay in the 40's or low 50's. Place a water bowl in the cage also. They will drink and move around while hibernating. Since this is a young snake, you can leave him in hibernation for about 2 months. Make sure you check on him at least twice a week. If he starts getting thin, then warm him up and bring him out of hibernation. I do this when I have snakes that go off feed. Wild caught snakes often don't eat for several weeks when adjusting to captivity. Hope this helps!

abcat1993
10-12-2006, 08:53 PM
The stupid guy at my local pet store who was supposedly an "expert on garter snakes" said that they eat waxworms. But I shouldn't have trusted him anyways if he said that they eat red wrigglers which are toxic. should I also put a worm or two in there instead of the waxworms? I had tons baby toads hatch from my pond, but they are probably hibernating and too big

ssssnakeluvr
10-12-2006, 09:01 PM
worms are good, not the red wrigglers.... I feed worms a lot, however they aren't a complete diet for them. If they eat the worms, you can scent frozen/thawed pinkie mice with them and get them on pinks, a much more complete diet. If they eat just worms, be prepared to clean a lot!! Worms are mostly water and pass thru fast! You can use vitamin powder on a worm or two every copple weeks if thats all he eats. In the long run, rodents are probably th e best for them, you can feed them less often and they do real well on them.

herpinator
10-26-2006, 09:24 PM
It is a little hard to tell from the pictures but I would put my bet on eastern garter. Do you remember what county of Wisconsin you captured it in? I live in Racine county of Wisconsin and this year I have caught several butlers but all of them have been in Milwaukee. I've never seen a butler in Racine or Kenosha.

Also most snakes I have caught in the fall don't eat as hardy as ones caught in spring/summer. You may have to brumate it for a few months.

abcat1993
10-27-2006, 06:57 AM
I caught it on a lake called koshkonong, in Fort Atkinson. It seems to be eating fine for me, just had some trouble at first. Also, it is beginning to develope a faint checkered pattern on it's back. It shows up better after he ate or when you're holding him

Tori
10-31-2006, 09:15 AM
That is an Eastern garter, not a bulter, so relax. A butler garter has no "neck". It's head is the same size as it's body so it appears to not have a neck like most garters. And easterns are not a protected species. You can feed it small live tropical fish like guppies or rosey reds, or you can feed cut up frozen fish like trout (thaw it out first of course). Easterns will eat most anything: pinkies (you might have to scent them at first), fish, worms (not red wigglers, they are toxic). Mine will even eat chicken livers. Good luck!