PDA

View Full Version : liability issues?

drache
06-29-2007, 09:51 PM
of all the problems I've encountered in our house purchase odyssee this last one took me by surprise:
they wanted to charge us a whopping $500.- more annually because I have snakes
Jeff did all the phone calls up to that point, but when he told me about this I had to step in
I told that woman that, if I was keeping anything more dangerous than a gerbil, I certainly wouldn't have told her because I'd already be breaking the law
in the end I kept insisting that they check NYC laws and finally they backed off on the snake issue

Stefan-A
06-30-2007, 12:56 AM
Anybody in the position to demand money will try to screw you over. Nice to see that you didn't just accept the extra charge.

I'll be moving back again in two months and I know I'm going to have a hell of a time finding an apartment where I can keep snakes. The old campus, where I could keep them, is going to be torn down and probably be rebuilt and the new one, which I've applied for, forbids pets. I'm hoping to be able to negotiate that part, using reason (no risks of damage to the apartment or other inhabitants).

Plan B is to break the rules and hope nobody notices. Plan C Is to look for an apartment in the private sector.

Boots
06-30-2007, 01:12 AM
I never ran into that problem when I used to live in an apartment. I was alway up front about what I was keeping and would usually get a simple yes or no, but never asked for more money. It's not like snakes are a pet that will destroy the carpet.

Jason

Stefan-A
06-30-2007, 01:27 AM
It's not like snakes are a pet that will destroy the carpet.

Jason

- Kept in a terrarium
- Won't chew on or scratch the furniture
- Won't go #1 or #2 on the carpet
- Unlike an aquarium, it can't cause any water damage if the tank breaks
- No fur
- Won't cause any allergy problems for the next inhabitant
- No smell
- No noise

Did I forget anything?

Ameivaboy
06-30-2007, 04:44 AM
I never mention any reptile species i keep for an apartment
it's the same thing as having a zillion fish tanks, if they are enclosed and pose no threat I dont see any reason to even bring it up

Stefan-A
06-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Neither would I, unless it's specifically mentioned in the contract. Then you pretty much have to negotiate or find another apartment.

adamanteus
06-30-2007, 06:54 AM
Stefan, surely your snakes are not pets, but objects of study?:rolleyes:

Stefan-A
06-30-2007, 06:56 AM
To quote 'viperkeeper' on YouTube, they're not pets, they're zoological specimen. ;)

Lulu Bennett
06-30-2007, 11:15 AM
i totally agree with adamanteus. and if they dont buy that then sneak them in in a box they wont know unless you have a noesy landlord lol:rolleyes:

Stefan-A
06-30-2007, 11:59 AM
What should I tell them about the terrariums? :D "No, no pets here. Just using these terrariums to.. grow, um, fake plants.. That's right." Not a chance that I could keep it secret, most people probably know that I keep snakes.

Actually, it might not turn out to be such a problem, if the female doesn't give birth. Last semester, I mostly kept them at my parents' house with the rest of my stuff. They took care of them ( = they made sure the snakes hadn't escaped) for 3-4 days of the week. I only took snakes with me when there was something special going on (once because the female swallowed substrate and the male once for a presentation). But babies need a lot more attention than that, so they would have to come along for sure.

I suppose she should be showing already if she was gravid, it's been exactly 56 days since they mated, and I still can't tell. Fat as always, I guess. 34 - 64 days left.

edit: Sorry Rhea for hijacking your thread. :o

Snaky
07-02-2007, 02:11 AM
I can't keep snakes where I live... Nobody, except my friends know I have them. But, everybody in the block must think I'm pretty rude. Nobody may enter my room:rolleyes:

drache
07-02-2007, 03:53 AM
edit: Sorry Rhea for hijacking your thread. :o

I never noticed
did you really?

Stefan-A
07-02-2007, 03:57 AM
That's what it looks like from my perspective. About half the posts are mine, which definitely wasn't my intention when I wrote my reply, which was just meant as a side note on basically the same issue, how owning snakes can affect things like getting a new apartment or house.

drache
07-02-2007, 03:58 AM
I just remembered something from possibly a couple of decades ago
something about an escaped python that had gotten itself wrapped around a faucet and set the house under water while the owner was on vacation, causing massive water damage
not sure whether the insurance paid
but I also don't think that's why they wanted to up my premium