PDA

View Full Version : questions on neonates.

jasuncle1972
07-25-2007, 09:56 AM
hello everyone one of my female gaters is hopefully goiing to have babies soon, she's gotten really fat in the last few months. Anyhow, I'm considering releasing some of the babies back where she was caught. Any thoughts??

GarterGuy
07-25-2007, 10:04 AM
I think that's a really good idea. Make sure that the ones you release are good, strong and healthy so they can make it and also make sure that you release them somewhere that they'll have plenty of cover. Little baby snakes are VERY low on the food chain and a place that was safe for their mother, may not be as safe for them.

Roy

Serpentine99
07-25-2007, 10:04 AM
As long as the male you bred with is found in your area I don't see why not

KITKAT
07-25-2007, 10:51 AM
hello everyone one of my female gaters is hopefully goiing to have babies soon, she's gotten really fat in the last few months. Anyhow, I'm considering releasing some of the babies back where she was caught. Any thoughts??

Illegal in some states... not sure about Michigan.

The reasoning behind this law, when it exists, is that captive snakes may have been exposed to diseases that are not native to your area, and when released, your young snakes may carry that disease to the wild population.

I am not sure I agree with this, but that is the reasoning.:confused:

Lulu Bennett
07-25-2007, 12:41 PM
i think its a great idea. the best you can do is just get the vet to check them over. and check the laws obviously lol and as Roy said just make sure it has cover to give them the best chance of survival. but other than that i am really pleased you have decided to do this :D

jasuncle1972
07-26-2007, 07:08 AM
hello all. the neonate garters I was waiting on arrived 7/25, plus my brown snake had babies also. The garter mom was /is wild caught,I've had her for approx. 3-4 months. I'm not sure how many she had, too happy & didn't count. What should I start garters on and what about brown snake babies? Thanks in advance for all advice.:D

CrazyHedgehog
07-26-2007, 05:33 PM
The reasoning behind this law, when it exists, is that captive snakes may have been exposed to diseases that are not native to your area, and when released, your young snakes may carry that disease to the wild population.

Best and most reasoned explanation that I have seen, I can see why the law exists now.. thanks for clearing it up!

joeysgreen
08-02-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm uncertain if brown snakes are any different, but the neonate garter's I've fed in the past all did really well on worm peices and guppies. Just watch for accidental cannabilism. They can get a little crazy when there is the scent of food in the air.

The disease reason for the laws are quite a valid reason IMO and is based on the common mix of people keeping many snakes from a diverse geoscope and not having the know-how or facilities for quarantine. Any snakes that are to be release into the wild (or parents thereof) need to be kept in strict quarantine for the aforementioned reason. This can be as simple when there are no other herpetiles in the household. Many pathogens do not necessarily always present as disease, therefore even with a veterinary exam you very well could be sending an ecological timebomb out the door.

Now that I've shared my vantage point, if done responsibly, your idea is a very good one at that :)

Ian