PDA

View Full Version : Just a couple questions

Jigsaw
07-29-2007, 09:14 PM
first of all id like to ask, it is ok to have more than one snake in a cage if one is a bit bigger than the other? a couple minuites ago i just caught another garter and added it to my collection, they smelt eachother and then went there seprate ways. id just like to make sure they wont fight.

Lee
07-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Yes its really not a problem, just watch during feed time to make sure one isn't getting all the food and one doesn't try to steal from the other snakes and swallow the other... I have a pair together.

Jigsaw
07-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Oh yes and id also like to say that when i first saw the snake, i noticed it was a bit deformed, i grabbed it and noticed one side of its mouth was hanging down. the snake was fine nothing is wrong but im just not sure what i should do.
Thanx

Thamnophis
07-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Donīt think you can do much about the mouthproblem.
When the snake eats and does well there is no problem.
Otherwise you can visit a vet.

garterking
07-30-2007, 08:08 AM
first of all id like to ask, it is ok to have more than one snake in a cage if one is a bit bigger than the other? a couple minuites ago i just caught another garter and added it to my collection, they smelt eachother and then went there seprate ways. id just like to make sure they wont fight.

Just a word of caution and it might be a bit late already but you should always quarantine all new snakes for 4 to 6 weeks. Check a new snake regularly for mites and have a look at their stool for worms, etc. If you bring in a new snake that is infested with something, it's more than likely you will be treating them all. It can get expensive and time consuming.
As Lee said, watch them during feedings. They can get competitive over food.
Mike

hissy100
07-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Your probably fine i kepp both of mine in the same cage one's a little bigger. Though i feed them in seperate containers

adamanteus
07-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Jordan, it worries me slightly that you're collecting more snakes already, while in another thread you're asking us what Garter snakes eat. My advice would be to take it slowly and learn as you go.:)

Elliot
07-30-2007, 12:39 PM
I have to agree with James here.

Stefan-A
07-30-2007, 12:41 PM
I have to agree, too. It may be best to get that first one working before getting a second one.

Lulu Bennett
07-30-2007, 12:48 PM
you are best getting the basic knowlege before hand. i started with one then got the 2nd within 2 weeks but i hyad already asked alot of question at the pet store. you need to be aware that although it is brill owning snakes it also means that their life is in your hands. you should have known the basics first.

Stefan-A
07-30-2007, 12:56 PM
My first two acquisitions were over one year apart and I gathered information for a loooong time before I had the confidence to get that first one.

adamanteus
07-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Stefan, your patience and self restraint is a lesson for us all!:rolleyes:

Elliot
07-30-2007, 01:02 PM
I did the same thing. :D

Stefan-A
07-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Stefan, your patience and self restraint is a lesson for us all!:rolleyes:
Aah, sarcasm.. :D No false modesty this time, you're damn right it's a lesson for all of you. ;)

How many new snakes will you have by the end of this year, James? :D

Snaky
07-30-2007, 03:27 PM
I must say I agree with the rest. With a bit till your snakes settle down and eat. And normally a quarantine period is the best thing to do, you will be certain that no sick snake can infect your collection.

On a side note. I bought my first snake (lampro) than waited 3 years and bouth my first thamnophis ( a young couple ) and than waiting another 4 year till I bought the next one's... but it went very fast after that, could it be that I'm working and living alone now?? Naaa:p

adamanteus
07-30-2007, 03:30 PM
How many new snakes will you have by the end of this year, James? :D

I will have 14 new additions this year....but then there is the dreaded Hamm show!!:eek: Anything could happen!:D

drache
07-30-2007, 05:06 PM
I will have 14 new additions this year....but then there is the dreaded Hamm show!!:eek: Anything could happen!:D

whoosh
all my guilt feelings over my lack of self restraint this year were just blown out into the ozone

I did go a lot more slowly in the beginning
it's a lot more enjoyable to have one's critters set up and thriving before adding something new, because it so thoroughly sucks when things go wrong with several animals all at once