PDA

View Full Version : Does this happen to you/ your garter?

abcat1993
10-27-2006, 04:09 PM
When I just fed my snake a worm, it grabbed it without hesitation, but, even in a seperate tank, got bedding on him. So after getting it off he was more hesitant to eat, but ate nevertheless (is that one word?). After he ate the struggling worm which kept crawling away, he started rubbing his head on the ground and "yawning". Then the lump in his body started moving back and forth. Was the worm trying to crawl out of his stomach?:eek: I have heard of this happening with big nightcrawlers, but never simple earthworms.

kingcaliwolf
10-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Sounds like quite a battle! Never the less are three words, I think you are using a colloquialism that is usually hyphenated never-the-less style.

I think your garter may have been contracting muscles to further swallow his prey- its rough when your barely big enough to take on a worm. Hopefully he will grow quickly this winter. Keep him warm!

Stefan-A
10-28-2006, 01:52 AM
I actually had one medium-sized worm crawl back up and escape from the corner of the snake's mouth while he was feeding on worm #2, but in your case, I'd say that it was just contracting muscles and the snake was just forcing the worm further dow.

Nevertheless, as one word, is also correct.

ssssnakeluvr
10-28-2006, 08:25 PM
I have had them struggle to keep some worms down...they don't really want to be eaten and a good strong worm on a small snake can put up a good fight!! It might take a little time until the worm dies until the struggle is over.

Thamnophis
10-29-2006, 09:09 AM
What would you do when you were a worm that just was eaten alive ;)

What you saw was indeed the struggle from the worm to find the way out.

Life is hard! :o

abcat1993
10-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Also, does your garter attempt to climb up the walls? On my hot side of the tank, it climbs up the walls towards the light. I doubt that it is cold because the thermometer says 90 F directly under the light.

ssssnakeluvr
10-30-2006, 08:26 PM
mine are always climbing the sides of the cages. i have had baby garters actually escape after crawling thru the water dish and sticking the the side of the aquarium.

abcat1993
10-30-2006, 08:35 PM
I have had baby garters actually escape after crawling thru the water dish and sticking the the side of the aquarium.
How do you have your water dish set up so that they can get out? And is 90F okay for the hot side? Also, do you know why they climb up the sides?:confused: :p ;) :cool:

ssssnakeluvr
10-30-2006, 08:50 PM
no, small water dishes are kept generally in the center of the cages. 90 should be ok on one end of the cage, make sure the other end of the tank is cooler. Garters are very active inquisitive snakes, always looking for a way out.

abcat1993
10-30-2006, 09:08 PM
no, small water dishes are kept generally in the center of the cages. .

Sorry but it still makes no sense to me how a water dish sitting in the middle of the cage would let it out. Anyways, it seems like she/he (I think she) always wants a way out whenever I'M around. I'll sneak into my room and see her sitting there, but when I walk in she goes crazy. But then she settles down until I make a sudden move.

ssssnakeluvr
10-30-2006, 09:19 PM
after a baby garter crawls thru water, it can stick to the glass.

abcat1993
10-30-2006, 09:25 PM
Now I understand

Cazador
10-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Matt,
Try washing your hands before you handle your garter every time, and handle "her" frequently, but for short intervals. Washing your hands gets reduces the predator smell on your hands (from the Jack Russell terrier). Handling her frequently conditions her to the fact that no harm will come when you handle her.

If she's really skittish, you can put her in a bathtub with about 2" of luke warm water (about 80-90F). Be certain the water isn't too warm! You're 98.6 F, so it should feel slightly cool. Let her swim around until she gets tired. Then offer her your hand. She'll look for high ground to get out of the water. If she doesn't come to you, then slowly and gently hold her, so she can relax with most of her body still in the water. Let her crawl out onto you if she wants. After she has rested, let her go back into the water and repeat the cycle. Stop after three or four rounds. If she's not coming to you by then, put her back in her cage and try it again in a few days. Eventually, she'll associate you with safety and won't be as skittish when you come around.

Be cautious, though. The warm water will stimulate her to defecate. Also, instead of putting her right back into her cage, you may choose to let her relax in your hands, near your body. Hold her as long as she remains calm (or until you're ready to do something else). This has worked for me with many snakes. Have fun,
Rick

CrazyHedgehog
10-31-2006, 05:39 PM
Abcat..they don't use the water dish to climb out.. but when they get wet in the water dish, they can then 'stick' to the glass and push themselves up it...