PDA

View Full Version : vacation coverage

drache
08-24-2007, 04:36 AM
we're going away next week and since neither James, Inge or Lulu live close enough, I haven't found pet-sitting
we'll only be gone three whole days - leaving Monday mid-day and coming back Thursday night
at this point I think the babies could last that long, since they're eating pinkie strips
if I feed them Monday morning, they should last 'til Thursday night
any thoughts on that?
fresh water is an issue though
and lizard veggies
it just never occurred to me I'd ever get anything like a vacation

Lulu Bennett
08-24-2007, 04:54 AM
as much as i wiuld love to go over to new york to meet you guys and pet-sit your beautiful animals unfortunatly i dont think it will happen i defo think for food your snakes will be fine but i am a bit unsure on the water or your lizzards im afraid. i am guessing there is no family members or close trusting friends near by. i know a couple of people have befriended the local pet store owners here and when they go away the animals get looked after at the store but im sure that it is for a price. but it might be worth looking into if just for the lizzards.
let us know if you get something sorted and enjoy your holiday hun xxx

flakgunner
08-24-2007, 05:03 AM
hey,
should be no problem at all,large bowl of water,that they can't tip over,I feed my snakes once a week,Saturday ,afternoons.,it's not uncommon,for one of mine to go multi weeks with out eating(at their choosing),this weekend ,i'am also going to try and take pics of some of the other snakes,my OuterBanks Kingsnake,is a pig!bought at a swap meet,14" long,in June 06,she's feed once a week,she sheds every three weeks,she's now 39" long, 1 1/2" thick,and can easliy handle small rats that the Bull snake(what a pain in the a@#,this one is)won't take.

Joe

enigma200316
08-24-2007, 07:29 AM
I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem, in the wild theres snakes that go longer than that without eating, and three days isn't that long not even to a very young snake......I don't think in my opinoin.......have fun on your vacation and no worries.....:D

GarterGuy
08-24-2007, 07:51 AM
Have to agree, even though they seem very active, herps have slow metabolisms (compared to us and other warm bloods) and a few days with out will do them no harm. They'll probably be mighty hungry by then but will be just fine. Have fun on vacation and don't worry about them.

Roy

Elliot
08-24-2007, 08:01 AM
I've had to leave my snakes for 2 weeks before without any one to care for them. The day before I left I cleaned their cage completely, and I made sure they had a full bowl of water. I got back and they were just fine, no changes at all. Of course these were adults, but 3 days shouldn't hurt them at all. :)

drache
08-24-2007, 08:59 AM
at this point I'm not that worried about the snakes, although the ones with the mites will back-slide a bit
the lizards I'm more worried about, but I imagine they'll do okay for three days
the plated lizards have been pooping in their water much less since I switched them to care fresh
I guess it'll be okay
but I'll still worry a little

Lulu Bennett
08-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Don't worry!!! just go have fun! and take lots of pics:D

adamanteus
08-24-2007, 11:25 AM
I must agree with everyone else, Rhea. Three days isn't going to be a problem for any of your animals, not even the veggie lizards. Plenty of fresh water just before you go, then relax and enjoy your well-earned break.:D

drache
08-24-2007, 04:27 PM
whew!
I'm glad you're all saying that
it makes a difference
I can be such a worrier

we'll get to meet Terry and see The actual sun room that is host to so many lovely snakes

adamanteus
08-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Rhea, be sure to take a picture of Terry! We haven't seen him yet. Better still, have someone take a picture of yourself, Mikhaila and Terry. I'm sure we'd all love to see that photo. I love meeting fellow members, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

drache
08-24-2007, 07:49 PM
I'll have to teach Jeff to use that camera . . .