PDA

View Full Version : anyone heard of .......

flakgunner
09-10-2007, 04:38 AM
hey,
Saturday morning,the wife and I ,went to a nearby swap meet,needing alot of food ,for my growing collection,ended up buying another stunning Yellow Ratsnake ,about three ft.,it was a little underfeed,but all of this sellers snakes seamed to be,he also had a real nice White Oak Gray Ratsnake,four ft.,but I asked for a package deal,and told us ,he couldn't,so I got the Yellow Ratsnake for $25.00,Sunday I feed it four med. mice,it took them right from my finger tips.
The dealer that I purchased all of our mice/crickets from had a Ratsnake for sale,it was a little guy,around 20 in.,he had it listed as a Dexter's Ratsnake,never heard if it,and Ive had Ratsnakes for many years!!
Anyone of Heard of a Dexter's Ratsnake???the snakes overall color was a muddy red/brown,and you know with Red Rats,they've got the saddles/blotches running down their length,dk.red bordered with black outline.this snake had faint black bordered outlines,but the saddles/blotches where the same muddy red/brown of the snakes base color,I asked him about this snake,and he couldn't give me any info on it,he had just acquired it,I asked if it was a designer color,i asked if it was a crossbreed.I did a quik search on the net,and found nothing.

Joe

P.S. not one Gartersnake was to be found at this meet.mainly those dam designer Python's ,Ratsnakes and alot of weird Gecko's

enigma200316
09-10-2007, 06:28 AM
sorry Joe I was unable to find any thing regaurding a Dexters' Rat either......:(

ssssnakeluvr
09-10-2007, 07:07 AM
thats a new one to me also... I ran intoa guy that had an "african water lizard"...i took one look and said baloney, you got a baby alligator (they aren't legal here in Utah)

ssssnakeluvr
09-10-2007, 07:08 AM
.....maybe it belonged to a guy named Dexter.....:D

adamanteus
09-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Can you post a picture of the mystery beast?

flakgunner
09-10-2007, 02:09 PM
hey,
No chance on the pics,we didn't even think about bring the cam,and for some odd reason theirs no show scheldued for Oct.,so it'll be Nov. and I can't see him hang'in on that long,I'am baffled on the Ratsnakes title,I'am think someone came out with sometype of odd designer RedRat,and their trying to name it after themselves.

Joe

CrazyHedgehog
09-10-2007, 02:11 PM
not a Deckert's rat snake, Elaphe obsoleta deckerti,
????
I think Chloe has one, colour sounds right

adamanteus
09-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Ahh...The Keys Rat Snake E. o. deckerti.....I never thought of that!

GarterGuy
09-10-2007, 11:58 PM
not a Deckert's rat snake, Elaphe obsoleta deckerti,
????
I think Chloe has one, colour sounds right

Eh, beat me too it!!!!

I've got a buddy who breeds them, I'll see if he'll take a pic of his so you can see if it's the same as you saw at the show.

Roy

flakgunner
09-11-2007, 03:22 AM
hey,
Thanks for the leads guys!Keys Ratsnake,I'd heard of them,but have never seen them,let alone referred to as Deckert's;with this info I found alittle info and some pics on the net,this pic is fairly close,the one we saw ,was a little more reddish/brown.Odd,the one reference book I've got on Rat snakes,shows a Key Rat looking more like a dirty Yellow/Everglades

Photoalbum: Colubridae 1 (http://vipersgarden.at/album/colub-1/page/image6.html)

Specie (http://www.elaphe.it/specie.htm)

Joe

(now I'am kicking myself in the ......)