PDA

View Full Version : greetings

i of the storm
09-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi, I've signed up for my daughter & I. I found this site while searching for garter snake care. My daughter wants a snake, and since I kept a pair of garters (which seems that they were ribbon snakes) I knew they make great pets. also I wanted to stay away from feeding a snake rodents (her last pet was a rat that died of old age). Are certain garters more apt to a fish diet than others? I now know to stay away from goldfish. How about strips of tuna etc.? We want to get a pair and we're looking at the Oregon red sided (if drache still has any) and a Puget Sound (if someine would ship to VA). And these can be kept together, correct? Thanks.

adamanteus
09-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum.:) Great choice of snake for your daughter!

enigma200316
09-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Hello and welcome to the site..........:)

they should be able to be kept together as long as there near the same size and the same sex, I'm not 100% sure thats right, but someone else will make sure it is.....James,Stephan, anyone else want to make sure I have it right??

adamanteus
09-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Same size is right, Justin. Or similar anyway...unless you can keep a close eye on them at feeding time, that's when accidents can happen! Same sex? Well, I guess that depends on whether or not you want to breed them. But I wouldn't recommend cross breeding between two sub-species. Just my thoughts.

Oh, and most Garters will do well on a varied fish diet, with the occassional nightcrawler thrown in. No need for rodents, if you don't want to use them. Although they do make offering a good, balanced diet a whole lot easier!

Snaky
09-12-2007, 03:10 PM
I agree with James. Want to stress out the fact that it wouldn't help the community if you cross-breed between species, so if you decide to put some species together, make them of the same gender ;)

Enjoy it here, take a look around and fire away if you have some questions. Have fun :)

edit: The articles section is also a fun place to start and this article: http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Main_Page might help you with which fish you can give and which you can't. Whole fish is easier, because they contain also the bones.

drache
09-12-2007, 05:37 PM
hi and welcome to this forum
I agree with all of the above
can't think of anything to add at the moment

Garter_man9986
09-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Hi and Welcome to this forum

Sid
09-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Welcome to the forum. I also agree that you've received sound advice.

Lori P
09-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Hello, and welcome!! I am also in Va, and I just found some Puget Sounds in NYC... and he is shipping them here. Unfortunately, he does not have any more now, but if I hear of any more I'll post here. :-)

i of the storm
09-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the great inside and warm welcome. Are the differences in the species just markings or are there broad differeces in disposition? When choosing a garter species, can it just be a vanity thing or are there other things to consider?

drache- we noticed your classified is no longer there for the red-sided.:(

GarterGuy
09-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've gotten some good advice alreay. Feel free to ask any and all questions you might have.:)

Roy

drache
09-13-2007, 07:26 AM
there are personality differences and we did have a thread about that which I cannot find
I believe the consensus was that plains and wandering garters had the easiest personalities

I've suddenly had an influx of queries about my babies and ended up feeling a bit overwhelmed
I'm pretty sure they're all spoken for now

Stefan-A
09-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Welcome aboard. :)

i of the storm
09-16-2007, 12:19 AM
I've suddenly had an influx of queries about my babies and ended up feeling a bit overwhelmed
I'm pretty sure they're all spoken for now

if not, let me know.

zooplan
09-16-2007, 02:47 AM
welcome to the forum, i of the storm
nice avatar!
I´m a little late so your questions seem to be answered?

Thamnophis
09-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Welcome here the both of you... :cool:

Odie
09-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Hi, from Oregon, I of the storm :)