PDA

View Full Version : New Feeding Technique

Serpentine99
09-15-2007, 05:27 PM
I was feeding one of my stubborn easterns yesterday, which I've already had to force feed once, when I accidentally came upon a new feeding technique. I was holding the snake about an inch or two from it's head and was about to force feed him again, but knowing that it has a pretty low tolerence for handling I started lightly tapping the peice of food on the snakes head. after a few tries he striked at the meat and then proceeded to swallow it. I did this four times before he was done. I like this better a whole lot better than force feeding. and I think it's better on the snake because instead of throwing food down his throat I'm just getting him a little pi**ed off.:D

ssssnakeluvr
09-15-2007, 09:13 PM
good idea...I do something similar....when getting mybabies started on pinkie parts, I tap them with the legs I cut off for feeding, they strike at them and end up grabbing them and eating them....

Stefan-A
09-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Hasn't worked for me, but I've also done something similar, tapping them on the corner of their mouth. Has worked a few times, they just turn their head and bite.

adamanteus
09-16-2007, 12:29 AM
I have often used similar 'tease-feeding' methods. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

zooplan
09-16-2007, 02:10 AM
I´ve tried thoise annimations with different success too.
Juvenile snakes feed better in a group sometimes.
They are so grudging and snoopy what the others got that they will feed only to grab a piece from her neighbour.

Elliot
09-16-2007, 09:09 AM
I might try that when I start my babies on mice and mice parts.

enigma200316
09-16-2007, 10:17 AM
I should try that with kids and there veggies................:D

infernalis
12-09-2008, 02:44 PM
I´ve tried thoise annimations with different success too.
Juvenile snakes feed better in a group sometimes.
They are so grudging and snoopy what the others got that they will feed only to grab a piece from her neighbour.

I too have found this method effective.

guidofatherof5
12-09-2008, 02:56 PM
I would think with the more shy genus, that might not work. On the more aggressive, it's a great idea. Thanks

jitami
12-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Didn't work on my little busy body yesterday :(

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-09-2008, 05:41 PM
this technique is called "tease feeding"

it works very well on snakes that are tempermental and will repeatedly strike!

like my similis! the only way I can get him to eat is through tease feeding. I open the tub... I shake the pinky at him... he gets mad and BITES it and then realizes it tastes soooo good.... :D

brain
12-09-2008, 05:53 PM
A trick I have used with success is to place the little guy in one of those sealable paper cups with the pinky cover and place it back in the habitat (for safety).
This creates a secure place so he can eat.
it also starts them off on the idea of being takin out of their habitiat for feeding.

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-09-2008, 07:49 PM
I allow my snakes to eat while still in their habitat :D