PDA

View Full Version : Question about Nile Monitor??

Lori P
10-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Hey guys, anyone have experience with these?? Someone contacted me about a 2 ft monitor that got dumped on them and they want gone asap. Everything I've read on them scares me, LOL. I know it's not something I could handle long term but wondering if I could find a sactuary or hobbyist to take it eventually... any thoughts?? THANKS!

RZL36
10-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Act as conduit to get that thing to someone (or zoological entity) fast. They are not iguanas. I don't really know lizards, but I just read this quotation on Wikipedia:

"There are few lizards less suited to life in captivity than the Nile monitor. Buffrenil (1992) considered that, when fighting for its life, a Nile monitor was a more dangerous adversary than a crocodile of a similar size. Their care presents particular problems on account of the lizards' enormous size and lively dispositions. Very few of the people who buy brightly-coloured baby Nile monitors can be aware that, within a couple of years, their purchase will have turned into an enormous, ferocious carnivore, quite capable of breaking the family cat's neck with a single snap and swallowing it whole."

Maybe contact area zoos or people who can keep them. I wouldn't want anything to do with it either. I would seriously keep hots before those.

Ameivaboy
10-02-2007, 10:46 AM
I have worked with several decent sized niles and frankly it's nothing you want to hold on too and try to find a home for. It will be nearly impossible.
NO Zoo will take them. Threy are in the same "pet trade left overs"
category that other undesirable animals are in such as burmese pythons and green iguanas. if you were to find it a home it would take a very long time and by that time (if properly cared for) the animal would be a lot bigger. Not to mention it will put a serious hurt on your wallet in food costs.

adamanteus
10-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Sure, Nile Monitors are demanding, and their captive requirements are hard to meet in terms of space, but I think they're getting a bit of bad press here...."enormous, ferocious carnivore" is pushing the boundary a bit. I have kept a few monitors over the years, including Niles, and they do settle down.

As I say, the only real problem is meeting their spacial requirements, that aside I think they're pretty easy for any relatively experienced keeper to care for. Try looking at Spracklands book "Giant Lizards" for a more balanced view of these larger herps.

Lori P
10-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Yeeeaaahhhh.... that's what I read on them too. It's very unfortunate. I feel sorry for the poor thing but I'm not sure this is something I can help. I could euthanise him, to keep him from falling into more bad homes. Which may be the kindest thing long term anyway...

Lori P
10-02-2007, 11:58 AM
James, thanks-- I'll keep doing some research and see if I can find a sanctuary type place...

adamanteus
10-02-2007, 12:03 PM
To be honest, Lori, if I was on the other side of the water I'd take it from you myself rather than see it euthanised. Kevin is right in what he says about Niles, Iguanas and Burmese being viewed as 'pet trade left overs'. It's such a shame, the majority of these animals are bought by people who have no idea of how to keep them, but there are people out there who have the knowledge, capability and resources to care for such animals long term. At least give him a chance.

Snaky
10-02-2007, 12:10 PM
In Europe there are some serious keepers for them, so I would imagine that there should also be some serious keepers in the US. It's not an animal that I would take care of without having experience with some other big ones.

It would be a shame though in my eyes to euthanise it on the spot, they are gorgeous animals. I would always try everything else first, you never know.

RZL36
10-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah, have them throw it on the kingsnake.com classifieds. There are serious keepers of anything in this country, and at that size, he is still relatively shippable. I don't know much about lizards (as they are usually an occasional treat for the kings), I just didn't want you (Lori) to get into something you couldn't handle (not poking fun, or attacking, or, questioning your dedication or skill). Try the kingsnake.com classifieds.

enigma200316
10-02-2007, 12:42 PM
I've had a few monitors before, and they are demanding, but I don't think there that bad, it all depends on the animal and how its cared for, I'm sure if you really try you'll find someone.................:)

Charlet_2007
10-02-2007, 01:25 PM
we have a nile right now i'd take it if no one wants it.. pm me with the info..

Lori P
10-02-2007, 02:27 PM
I think the little guy is really cute... I don't know why I'm drawn to him, but I am. But I am also looking at the fact that he won't stay 2 ft for long and soon he'll be eating all my doggies... LOL!!

Charlet_2007
10-02-2007, 02:33 PM
yeah we have ours in 125g tank right now.. hes about 2 1/2 to 3 right now and puppy dog tame..

Ameivaboy
10-02-2007, 05:13 PM
I too dont think they are "bad,mean,evil or aggrressive" like mnay people seem to think, they are just defensive, they view you as a threat plain and simple.
The hardest part with housing varanids is the cage size.
the biggest problem people have with them (from the aniamls standpoint) is using screen tops (losing all heat and humidity) which leads to many varying issues and having a basking spot that is not warm enough. Just a few things to think about if considering "adopting" this niloticus

drache
10-03-2007, 05:35 AM
I know my local reptile rescue will take monitors
John, the guy I sold two of my babies to, has been keeping monitors for a long time, so I emailed him a link to this thread
hopefully he can help with some expert advice
good luck

Thamnophis
10-07-2007, 11:39 AM
The Nile monitor is not suited for a vivarium. They mostly stay very wild and agressive.