PDA

View Full Version : Black lights??

Edcase
11-04-2007, 08:28 AM
I was thinking about putting a regular black light in my viv with my 2 Garters. The light would be at the top of the viv much like a fish tank light.

Was just wondeing if this would harm the snakes in any way. I was not planning on leaving it on all night etc but rather in the evening and then turn it of when i go to bed and during the day. It would probably be used more for decoration of the tank etc but i wouldnt want to bother if i knew the snakes would be effected.

Thanks

Bay_area
11-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Black lights have too much UV lighting. It could possibly cause the snake to go blind. I know someone that used them on leapard geckos & it blinded all of them. I use plant grow lights myself for lighting

Edcase
11-04-2007, 09:04 AM
That sux. Is there any type of protection that could be put over the light to reduce UV levels...or does it not work that way?? Or is there some other light that is ok to use which also makes things glow??

drache
11-04-2007, 09:05 AM
there are white black lights and black black lights
I know that when I was doing non-silver photographic processes that require "sunlight" for exposure, I had to use the white ones, so perhaps the black ones don't have as much UV?

Elliot
11-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Black lights have too much UV lighting. It could possibly cause the snake to go blind. I know someone that used them on leapard geckos & it blinded all of them. I use plant grow lights myself for lighting

How are you sure that they have too much UV lighting? I'm not saying that you're wrong, I've just never heard of any kind of lightbulbs causing blindness in any reptiles. I've used one of mine some, and I haven't seen any problems from it. Of course, it is designed to be used with reptiles.

adamanteus
11-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Your Garters certainly don't require the UV. So maybe it's not worth taking any risks. That said, I don't think limited exposure to this kind of light would cause any harm...they have hides, right? As I say, they don't need it, so why bother?

Elliot
11-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Your Garters certainly don't require the UV. So maybe it's not worth taking any risks. That said, I don't think limited exposure to this kind of light would cause any harm...they have hides, right? As I say, they don't need it, so why bother?

That's a good point too.:)

EdgyExoticReptiles
11-04-2007, 09:16 AM
i use a regular during the day and a pet store black light at night and i was thinking of switching to red day and night is that ok?

Elliot
11-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Well you don't really need one at night unless your house gets really cold for some reason.

Bay_area
11-04-2007, 10:18 AM
How are you sure that they have too much UV lighting? I'm not saying that you're wrong, I've just never heard of any kind of lightbulbs causing blindness in any reptiles. I've used one of mine some, and I haven't seen any problems from it. Of course, it is designed to be used with reptiles.

There were test done before. The UVA rays from black lights are very high. There was a good article on reptile lights in the "Vivarium magazine" before. There are UV indicators available. I would never use it with a nocturnal reptile & limited use with diurnal reptiles
here is a chart, if I remember right; the UVB is what is needed in lizard & turtles for absorbing vitamin D3

Bulb
Manufacturer

UVA
UVB
Illuminance (lux)
Reptisun UVB 310
Zoo Med1

Reptile D-Light 8%
National Biolological Corp.
no longer made

Reptile D-Light 3%
National Biolological Corp.
no longer made

Reptile Daylight
Energy Savers Unlimited (ESU)

Sylvania 350 Blacklight
Sylvania

Metal Halide, 100w, 5500K
Energy Savers Unlimited (ESU)

Vita-Lite
Duro-Test

VLX Full Spectrum
Verilux

ReptaSun
Fluker

Chroma 50
General Electric

Colortone 50
Philips Lighting Co.

Lumichrome Full Spectrum2
Lumiram

Ott-Lite
Environmental Lighting Concepts

Repti-Glo
Rolf C. Hagen Corp.

Cool White
Sylvania Lighting

Edcase
11-04-2007, 10:28 AM

They have a number of hides throughout the viv. I was more thinkin about the fact that the black light causes things to glow rather then the heat that amits from it. Obviously i think this would have made the viv a little more interesting to look at if it had a number of glow things around the viv etc.

It was just an idea i had today though after seeing the black light at work in a hobby shop, but of coures i wouldnt want to upset Hades and Fat boy lol. If it would harm them then i wont bother.

adamanteus
11-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Obviously i think this would have made the viv a little more interesting to look at if it had a number of glow things around the viv etc.

Oh right. So it's just a visual thing? I can't see any harm in that. I'm sure you can find bulbs with a low UV intensity. Anyway, however strong the bulb, it won't be close to the strength of sunlight, and the don't go blind in the wild! I would say try it out, as long as the snakes can hide away from it if they want to.

Edcase
11-04-2007, 11:36 AM
I think i will have a look around and see what i can find. I may post on here again if i find anything.

adamanteus
11-04-2007, 11:39 AM
You should be able to find a low intensity bulb, specifically designed for reptiles, in a pet shop, Joe. Do you have a decent reptile shop in Portsmouth?

Edcase
11-04-2007, 02:26 PM
There is a shop called Emsworth Aquaria and reptile store. It is very very good and has well knowledge staff. Its where i get all my reptile stuff, i plan on going there next weekend to see what i can find.