PDA

View Full Version : mouth rot

gweasner
11-06-2007, 10:20 PM
I think my garter's might have mouth rot.

So sad.. I don't know how to get the swab in their mouth. One of them had blood on itself and bled in the cage. It keeps making a cheee noises every now and then and completely lost its appetite.

Does anyone know how to administer the betadine?

How to hold the snake and all that stuff?

gweasner
11-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Does anyone know how to administer and actually handle the snake to put the betadine?

I don't know how to get it into my garter snake's mouth. I don't know how to hold it or open its mouth?

The mouth looks swollen and its not eating anymore. There was also some blood, and it seemed like there was some dried blood so I washed the snake and it keeps rubbing its face on sticks in the cage, and I saw a little blood, but not much, like I did Sunday night.

The snake is kinda mellow, and the other one who is smaller and I think is getting it too, is exactly the opposite. The larger snake I'm really worried about keeps making a cheee noise every now and then.

drache
11-07-2007, 09:17 AM
you need to get the snakes to a vet
it may be more than mouth rot
the sound you're describing may indicate an upper respiratory infection as well
opening a snake's mouth may at this point cause damage since there's apparently already tissue damage
good luck and welcome to this forum

Gijs & Sabine
11-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Rhea is very right about the fact you should go to a vet to make sure what it is. And after you know the problem THEN you can start a treatment.
When it is mouth rot you need to clean the mouth with hydrogen peroxide (10%) on a cotton woolthing and use antibiotics.
But....go the vet first!! Good luck :)

adamanteus
11-07-2007, 03:50 PM
I agree with the other advice... Get to the vet first, especially as you're not sure even how to hold the snake. Experienced hands will be needed to help this situation.

Lulu Bennett
11-08-2007, 04:13 PM
welcome to the forum, it is unfortunate it is under such terrible circumstances.
Rhea, Gijs, Sabine and James have all given spot on advice. Get straight to the vet! i hope it works out for you xxx

gweasner
11-08-2007, 08:09 PM
thank you all for the suggestions. I'm going to take the snake to the herb vet tomorrow. I feel so terrible about it, because I caught them for my daughter and now one of them really isn't doing well. I think if I left it in the wild it would be fine because this snake has lived at least a full year in the wild.

Lori P
11-09-2007, 07:43 AM
Good luck, and keep us posted!! We'd love to know what the vet says...

anji1971
11-09-2007, 07:47 AM
Welcome to the forum,and best of luck with your snake. Don't feel guilty about not leaving it in the wild, it may have already been sick, and if you take it to a vet and something can be done for it, then you've actually done it a favour!
Think positive!!:):)

Cazador
11-12-2007, 10:58 PM
There are some pictures of snakes with mouth rot (AKA Infectious somatitis) on this forum. Use the search function to see them.

It sure sounds like a case of mouth rot, and it is highly contagious. As cases of mouth rot progress, they often lead to respiratory infections and bleeding gums. The "lips" (labial scales) fail to close properly, and they become discolored. Then a caseous, or cheesy, substance forms along the gums. At this point, it is very difficult to treat at home. Your vet will administer antibiotics, and instruct you about how to clean the gums and administer the betadine. It's a bit tricky if you choose to use a cotton swab because the cotton can easily get stuck in the teeth, which can be difficult to remove without loosening the teeth. Therefore, one-on-one instruction from a vet is the best course of action.

Rick