PDA

View Full Version : Names/anonymity

CrazyHedgehog
11-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Hi Robert, and welcome to the forum.:)

If people have not put thier names on their public profile do you think they might like to be kept anonymous? :eek: isn't that why we have forum names? I always thought that people would put their names in their sig if they wanted everyone to know it?
Just a thought James, ....

Stefan-A
11-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Nobody is truly anonymous. :) Besides, who can guarantee that the name somebody has given really is the person's real name. I could be Turd Ferguson from Orlando, Florida for all you know. ;)

Besides, I'm certain it prevents a lot of conflicts if people are known by their real names.

And speaking of sigs, I think people should put their first name in their sig if they don't use it in their nick. I'm terrible with names and that way I won't have to remember them. ;)

adamanteus
11-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Hi Ermintrude. Robert's name is there, in his profile. When their name isn't there, I don't use it.:D

adamanteus
11-19-2007, 04:48 PM
I think people should put their first name in their sig if they don't use it in their nick. I'm terrible with names and that way I won't have to remember them. ;)

Even if the name is clearly visible, some people still get it wrong anyway...
Have you noticed that, Stephan?:rolleyes::D:D

CrazyHedgehog
11-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Hi Ermintrude. Robert's name is there, in his profile. When their name isn't there, I don't use it.:D

Have to argue with you there, it is not visible to me in his public profile, ..

I don't mind really, just thought that some might..

adamanteus
11-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Have to argue with you there, it is not visible to me in his public profile, ....

Really? Looks like you've flagged up a problem there Inge... I only checked his public profile, I haven't used my special Moderator super-powers! I guess 'the software' should be telling me if a new member has withheld their name from public view.

Lulu Bennett
11-19-2007, 05:02 PM
same here james. i cannot see his name either. also next to his post it says that he has no posts but as you can see he has at least the one on this thread.

adamanteus
11-19-2007, 05:07 PM
his post it says that he has no posts but as you can see he has at least the one on this thread.

His post count won't start until he has cleared the Moderation process.... (3 or 4 posts accepted by the Moderators).:)
The name thing is a problem though, I should know if someone wants to withold their name, but to me Roberts profile appears the same as mine.... on full view. I'll get it sorted.

Lulu Bennett
11-19-2007, 05:15 PM
His post count won't start until he has cleared the Moderation process.... (3 or 4 posts accepted by the Moderators).:)

Ahhhhhhhhhhh

CrazyHedgehog
11-19-2007, 05:36 PM
It actually states when you set your profile...

Your first name.
Will not be visible to other forum members except modorators and Admin.

Ooooohh James....you broke the rules! slap slap:p

adamanteus
11-19-2007, 05:37 PM
So you can't see my name?

Cazador
11-19-2007, 05:38 PM
I'll admit to using my super-hero moderator powers for no good. A long time ago, I didn't know that only moderators could see people's first name, and I used them freely (never last names, though). I soon realized that this type of disclosure had a positive effect on our sense of community, and nobody had ever brought up the issue of disclosing first names before. Perhaps I innocently started a trend, but I intentionally continued that trend after visiting the forum without logging on and learning that not everybody can see first names. Once or twice, I've even sent friendly PMs to people that haven't disclosed their first names, hoping to learn their first names. Yah, I'm rotten like that, but I also think that's the way friendships are born. I'm glad to have many friendships with people on this forum who I've never met, and that would be difficult to achieve if I didn't know their first name.

Now that Ermingtrude Doodlebah (oops... used her last name) has pointed it out... I have to make a decision. Ceasing to greet people by their first name won't atone for disclosing the names of those who've already been greeted. I fear it will only change the level of civility that we enjoy on this forum. If Ermingtrude, or anyone else, is truely bothered... not just joking around, then send me a PM, and I'll stop using first names to greet new members. Moreover, I'll GUARANTEE the confidentiality of your request!

Personally, I wouldn't want anything to change on this forum (except perhaps the line stating that names won't be shared), but I can't speak for anyone who might have been offended.

Sincerely,
Rick Looselips

CrazyHedgehog
11-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Only as your signature, that shows in your public profile hang on, I will take a screen shot of your public profile and send it to you..

Lulu Bennett
11-19-2007, 05:40 PM
this is all you can see:
Date of Birth: December 5, 1960 Age: 46 Biography: 40 years of reptile keeping experience, amateur and (occasionally) professional. Location: Cheshire. (Near Manchester). Home Country: United Kingdom Interests: Reptiles, wildlife/ecology, drawing/painting, reading, cycle touring, travel, martial arts. Occupation: Construction management. we can only see your name in your sig lol
Tut tut tut James lol

CrazyHedgehog
11-19-2007, 05:41 PM
How about just changing the wording of the profile entry screen...
Your first name will be used to politely befreind you!!

adamanteus
11-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Well, once again my naivity shines through! I didn't realise it was just we 'chosen few' that could see the names! I must agree with Rick though, the use of first names does create a more friendly atmosphere, and I'm pleased that he started that trend. I will continue the trend until someone shoots me!:D

adamanteus
11-19-2007, 05:45 PM
martial arts.

That should read 'marital'!:cool:

CrazyHedgehog
11-19-2007, 05:46 PM
I think its ok, but maybe change the wording....

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/adam.jpg

oh...you can't see it too well

CrazyHedgehog
11-19-2007, 06:11 PM
I was just changing my name sig... thought I would add my animals like some have done, but it said there were tooooooo many!!!
:p Inge :p
1.3.0 Florida Blue Garters
2.2.10 common red sided
1.1.0 Oregon red spotted
1.1.0 Chequered garter
1.1.0 Albino Chequered Garter
2.1.1 San Francisco Garters
1.1.0 Pickeringi Garters
0.1.0 Eastern Blacknecked Garter
1.0.0 Eastern Blackneck cyrtopsis cross
0.1.0 Anuristic Canadian Plains Garter
1.1.5 Canadian Plains (babies het..)
1.1.0 Santa Cruz Garters
1.1.0 Californian Red Sided Garters
1.1.0 Flame Garters
2.1.0 melanistic Garters
0.1.0 Pariatelis true red garter
0.1.0 Common Boa pastel phase
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos
1.3.0 Yemens Chameleons
1.0.0 Panther Chameleon
0.1.0 Chinese Water dragon
0.2.0 Italian Crested Newts
26.100.40 Mice !!
0.0.1 Koi mix colour
0.0.2 Ghost koi
0.0.27 Gold fish
1.0.0 monkey - well teenage son!
Do I now include stickleback..crickets, grass carp, pond frogs?

I nearly bought a rabbit the other day too, just soooo cute.. maf just looked at me in dismay..I took the hint...lol

adamanteus
11-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Inge, you have 50 Garters now!:eek:

CrazyHedgehog
11-19-2007, 06:17 PM
James, we had 107 at one time after everything kept giving birth..., But i have sold quite a few of the babies now, and i have sold my red striped ribbon snake at last show and my penninsula ribbons on sunday too (hope they are ok Claire!)

ScimitarX
11-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Yes they are all doing fine. The ribbons are a little shy, but the little red-sided is always exploring his home when he isnt sleeping.

Bay_area
11-19-2007, 07:22 PM
If people have not put thier names on their public profile do you think they might like to be kept anonymous? :eek: isn't that why we have forum names? I always thought that people would put their names in their sig if they wanted everyone to know it?
Just a thought James, ....

sounds like AA or something...LOL!

Lori P
11-19-2007, 08:09 PM
I really like using first names, and I always wait until James has welcomed someone new so I can welcome them by name too. LOL I agree that it keeps things more friendly... just my 2 cents. :-)

Stefan-A
11-20-2007, 04:19 AM
Even if the name is clearly visible, some people still get it wrong anyway...
Have you noticed that, Stephan?:rolleyes::D:D
Yeah, but at least it's phonetically correct. ;) :D

anji1971
11-20-2007, 08:34 AM
sounds like AA or something...LOL!

Yeah, kind of like, "Umm....I keep garter snakes.......not sure I want to go public about it...... so just call me "Mr. X till I'm ready to deal with my addiction..":rolleyes:

Seriously, it's such a friendly forum, and I think the fact that we can call each other by our first names makes it more so! This is the last place I'd worry about people knowing my name!