PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Snakes!!!

enigma200316
12-03-2007, 07:09 PM
I would like advise from everyone who has shipped snakes before on how to do so in the colder weather? it would be great to know......:)

EdgyExoticReptiles
12-03-2007, 07:18 PM
well currently ive been trying to ship two snakes to lori but its been to cold, i suggest never shipping when its under freezing
1. i would get two boxes (one larger) i would put one or two hot packs in the first box with the snakes, never let it directly touch them though i would then wrap it up and put it in the bigger box and then wrap it up again and you should probably increase the thickness of the foam thats lining the inside of both boxes(also stuff paper or some type of insulation into all the nooks and crannys. And of course this will cost more but it helps ensure the warmth of your little critter

Ameivaboy
12-03-2007, 07:30 PM
here's a thread my freinds at dirtystinkystuff.com (http://dirtystinkystuff.com) made on shipping reptiles
Enjoy!

Your one stop reptile community - How to ship live reptiles (http://redtailboa.net/forums/how-tos-tutorials/35142-how-ship-live-reptiles.html)

drache
12-04-2007, 04:35 AM
thanks for those links, Kevin

Lori P
12-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Yeah, we had a sudden cold front yesterday and I neglected to inform Reed that the temps were dropping below freezing... thank goodness he asked!!!! I'm extra nervous about shipping them now but we're supposed to get pretty warm temps (60's) next week... hey Reed, why don't you just drive them to me?? That's probably the safest... :D

salzar
12-04-2007, 09:14 AM
I will pay close attention to this thread, because I am going to get one this spring, although my hubby was asking how big garters get he might be just a little woried!! heeeeee heee , but not my kids , ohhhh a big snake!!! ye mom we want one too!!!
to funny!!!
take after me !!! so cute!!!
bye
michelle

adamanteus
12-04-2007, 09:21 AM
I've considered taking a package holiday to Mexico, then flying home with my boxer shorts full of Garter Snakes. Any advice on that?;)

enigma200316
12-04-2007, 10:03 AM
I've considered taking a package holiday to Mexico, then flying home with my boxer shorts full of Garter Snakes. Any advice on that?;)

I don't know if all the snakes would get along with each other.........:rolleyes:;)

Lori P
12-04-2007, 10:16 AM

Aaaaaaaah MENTAL PICTURE-- aaahhhhhhh my eyes are burning, someone help, I do NOT want the image of James's bum a-swarm with garter snakes in my mind!!!!! :D

Lulu Bennett
12-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Any advice on that?;)

feed them before puting them in your boxers lol don't want any feeding accidents james :o

anji1971
12-04-2007, 11:11 AM
OHHH, but I just read on another thread that garters in your shorts heal ear infections quickly!!! Hurry and get to Mexico James!!;)

Lori P
12-04-2007, 03:59 PM
And look how quick he healed Anji! It's a miracle, a miracle I say-- garters in your shorts are a proven cure!!!!! We should patent it!!! James, you can send your payment directly to me.... :D

adamanteus
12-04-2007, 04:01 PM
What d'ya know.... I've gone deaf again!;):D

Zephyr
12-04-2007, 06:59 PM
K, for those in the US, what's the exact process for asking Fedex or etc to ship a snake? D:

EdgyExoticReptiles
12-04-2007, 07:29 PM
not all small fedex places will take them you will have to call around and it usually costs $50

K, for those in the US, what's the exact process for asking Fedex or etc to ship a snake? D:

Zephyr
12-04-2007, 07:31 PM
How about USPS?

drache
12-05-2007, 07:55 AM
it's illegal to ship snakes (or any other live animals except apparently feeders) via USPS
in my experience FedEx is the most reliable
UPS second
Fedex even sent their truck back once when our builing intercom was broken without my knowing and I found out on the internet that they had attempted delivery
I called them, told them that there was a live animal on their truck and that I had been in fact home all morning, and so on
they responded well to pleading and crying and the truck came back with my beardie all well and me all relieved

Zephyr
12-05-2007, 02:16 PM
So you call a fedex location and just ask where the nearest depo is?

stonyloam
12-05-2007, 03:07 PM
feed them before puting them in your boxers lol don't want any feeding accidents james :o
Lets just hope they are not alredy started on pinkies!:eek:

Lulu Bennett
12-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Lets just hope they are not alredy started on pinkies!:eek:

It might be worse if they have started on worms :eek::p

drache
12-05-2007, 03:16 PM
I think the shorts are a bad idea
what if you accidentally sit on them on the plane
or the flight attendant dumps hot coffee on your lap
is there no legal way to get garters out of Mexico?
because if there isn't, I'm sure we could come up with a better way to smuggle them out than James' shorts

Lulu Bennett
12-05-2007, 03:21 PM
I think the shorts are a bad idea
what if you accidentally sit on them on the plane
or the flight attendant dumps hot coffee on your lap
is there no legal way to get garters out of Mexico?
because if there isn't, I'm sure we could come up with a better way to smuggle them out than James' shorts

I am sure your right rhea, we don't want them squishing or gassed to death on the way home lol

adamanteus
12-05-2007, 03:26 PM
You guys are really giving this some thought, aren't you?!!:D

Lulu Bennett
12-05-2007, 03:29 PM
You guys are really giving this some thought, aren't you?!!:D
lol yup! :D

stonyloam
12-05-2007, 04:41 PM
That reminds me of an old, old joke…. Something about a guy smuggling a duck into the movie theater in his pants. Can’t remember it all, but the punch line is, the woman says “yeah, but this one is eating my popcorn”.:D

Just to show that you can find anything on the internet here it is.... This one's eating my popcorn@Everything2.com (http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=663577)
Sorry guess it was a chicken

anji1971
12-05-2007, 07:03 PM
... I'm sure we could come up with a better way to smuggle them out than James' shorts

Better, maybe.
But more fun??? Doubt it!!!:D

Lori P
12-06-2007, 07:07 AM
I'm sitting here giggling so hard I just choked on my coffee... oh you guys are too much fun... LOLOL

drache
12-06-2007, 09:03 AM
now be serious, guys
if we have to go with shorts, I'd vote for James' (he's willing - you're willing, right James?)
I still don't think shorts would be our best option
if we're going with lover extremities, how about some modified harem pants with snake baggies poofing out the calf and ankle area? Then we might have to find another carrier though (or are you still willing, James?)
or James, you could just wear them on your head
sort of like the pic in the nature photography thread that I'm not managing to get into this post

anji1971
12-06-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm trying to picture James in harem pants............I think we did just find something more funny than the shorts!:D

Lulu Bennett
12-08-2007, 07:35 PM
ave you ever seen the Granny bloomers? they are tight with elastic and the bottom of the legs and atleast they wont be too close to his bum lol
oh and he would look absolutly stunning.
https://www.bloomers4u.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/kneesm.jpg And only $50 lol

stonyloam
12-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Hmmmm... Granny never looked like THAT!:rolleyes:

enigma200316
12-09-2007, 07:56 AM
Hmmmm... Granny never looked like THAT!:rolleyes:

WOW!!!......that Granny always did like to keep in shape..........:rolleyes:

Lori P
12-09-2007, 08:30 AM
OOOOH THAT is THE look for James!!! James, please please try some of these on and let us see... LOL

adamanteus
12-09-2007, 08:50 AM
OOOOH THAT is THE look for James!!! James, please please try some of these on and let us see... LOL

I think I might have a pair in my wardrobe.... let me just go see.:rolleyes:

Lori P
12-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Ok. If you do, we PROMISE not to post the pics all over the internet. Really. Promise. Yup. :D

Lulu Bennett
12-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Ok. If you do, we PROMISE not to post the pics all over the internet. Really. Promise. Yup. :D

yup james we promie! i am sure we will mis a few sites so technically it won't be all over the internet :rolleyes:

Zephyr
12-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Guys, got a problem.
I went to a Fedex depot and found that I cannot ship with them. I also checked the UPS site, and it says I cannot ship live snakes. What do I do? D:

Stefan-A
12-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Will they ship live lizards? Will they check the contents of the package? ;)

Zephyr
12-12-2007, 04:49 PM
They DO ship lizards, but I'd HATE to have a 250,000 dollar fine looming on my shoulders for the rest of my life for shipping a snake. >>

Stefan-A
12-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Right. :) :D Seems a bit extreme, though.

Zephyr
12-12-2007, 05:37 PM
So, who should I use? D:

drache
12-12-2007, 06:52 PM
is it just your local FedEx that's the problem?

Zephyr
12-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Well, I went to what was supposedly a "depot," which looked more like a standard office. I talked to a woman who was less than friendly, *probably because most people don't have much respect for a 15 year old* and told me that they only ship fish, and that the reptiles would die of cold and whatnot in the airplane. I tried to explain insulation and heating pads, but my mother stopped me. D:

drache
12-12-2007, 08:30 PM
it doesn't sound like they don't allow it
perhaps it's better not to be too specific
but you're probably right about that bit of age discrimination as well
does she work there all the time?

Zephyr
12-12-2007, 08:47 PM
This I do not know. I was directed to the place by a Fedex assistant on the phone, and had to travel a 30 minute trip to get there. D:

EdgyExoticReptiles
12-13-2007, 12:48 AM
it is now legal too ship live snakes via fedex, probably because the number of snaked breeders asking, most people/fedex places are not informed of it , you have to be certified though its sort of a annoying process
here you go:
Steps To Become Fedex Certified!!! - Shipping (http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33533&perpage=5&pagenumber=1)
i haven't tried it yet but i have to before baby season

Lori P
12-13-2007, 07:35 AM
Reed just shipped me his snakes and he wrote PERISHABLE and THIS END UP all over the box. I don't think he gave specifics about what was in the box, right? I need to get pics of his packaging, it was AWESOME!!!!!!! Great job Reed!!! Curious and Reed II (to avoid confusion, lol) were bright, active, and showed no lingering signs of stress!

enigma200316
12-13-2007, 11:21 AM
thats great Reed, really informable, is that what you did Reed????
I'm going to try it, and I'll let ya all know how it went.......:)

EdgyExoticReptiles
12-13-2007, 11:25 AM
no i havent tried the certified thing yet but i know people who have and im going to soon, when they asked what was inside i said i was shipping perishable cakes that had to be this side up, i thought that was the closest thing to a live snake because cakes are very fragile, they have to be this side up, and they cant be in extreme temps, i better get certified or come this spring im going to be sending lots of little cupcakes

thats great Reed, really informable, is that what you did Reed????
I'm going to try it, and I'll let ya all know how it went.......:)

Charlet_2007
12-13-2007, 11:52 AM
unless they put them in the fridge...:eek:

EdgyExoticReptiles
12-13-2007, 12:30 PM
nooooooo, lol they just put stickers all over the box

unless they put them in the fridge...:eek:

Charlet_2007
12-13-2007, 12:45 PM
i know i was kidding.. you said you were shipping cakes i hope they don't take that as a clue in needs to be in the fridge.. I always put my cakes in the fridge to keep them moist and soft and they last longer...

EdgyExoticReptiles
12-13-2007, 12:54 PM
lol they wouldve asked and im sure it wouldve costed more

i know i was kidding.. you said you were shipping cakes i hope they don't take that as a clue in needs to be in the fridge.. I always put my cakes in the fridge to keep them moist and soft and they last longer...

Charlet_2007
12-13-2007, 01:35 PM
well thats good i am a worrie wort went u here people shipping snakes belaive me im worst when i get mine own..

Lori P
12-13-2007, 02:13 PM
OMG shipping cakes... I remember you said that but I didn't get it the other day... oh too funny Reed!!!! Hey... it rhymes with what was really in the box, right?!!

EdgyExoticReptiles
12-13-2007, 02:44 PM
snake cakes ahahah yaah :)

OMG shipping cakes... I remember you said that but I didn't get it the other day... oh too funny Reed!!!! Hey... it rhymes with what was really in the box, right?!!

Zephyr
12-13-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm going to ship UPS Monday. I'm going to tell them I'm shipping a LEGLESS LIZARD. (XDDD)
Which apparently is allowed.
Should they open it up, the idiots won't know the difference. :P

EdgyExoticReptiles
12-13-2007, 07:08 PM
yah i like ups too i prefer fedex because the packages seem to be in better shape after shipping

I'm going to ship UPS Monday. I'm going to tell them I'm shipping a LEGLESS LIZARD. (XDDD)
Which apparently is allowed.
Should they open it up, the idiots won't know the difference. :P