PDA

View Full Version : Garter snake

mac
12-06-2006, 09:29 AM
I was wondering if this is a Blue Eastern Garter Snake? I live in Central Florida.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/gouda/xMWgarter.jpg

Thamnophis
12-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Is a blue eastern garter snake Thamnophis sirtalis similis?
If so, to my knowledge does this subspecies only live in the northwestern part of Florida (from Walkulla County up to Withlacoochee).

Daniel
12-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Hi Thamnophis,

a blue eastern garter snake would be a Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis "florida blue" and not a T. s. similis. Similis is called a true blue striped garter snake.

For identifying the snake on the pic correctly it would be helpfull to see a pic of the upper side of the head without dirt on it ;)

Best wishes,

Daniel

abcat1993
12-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Is a blue eastern garter snake Thamnophis sirtalis similis?
If so, to my knowledge does this subspecies only live in the northwestern part of Florida (from Walkulla County up to Withlacoochee).
Wow thamnophis, you certainly know a lot about America for living in the Netherlands!

mac
12-07-2006, 04:57 AM
Thank you for the replies. This is the best I have of the head, sorry, I cannot swear that these images are of the same snake, they were taken atleast a month apart in my yard. I had read there was a blue color form of the eastern garter, just wanted to see if this is one. I appreciate the help.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/gouda/xMWgs.jpg

ssssnakeluvr
12-07-2006, 07:45 AM
That is a "Florida blue" garter...thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis....a blue colored eastern garter, and a nice looking one!!

GarterGuy
12-07-2006, 09:10 AM
I'd have to agree with ssssnakeluvr, looks like a blue Florida T.s.sirtalis rather than a Bluestripe (T.s.similis)...also where you got it makes me think it's a T.s.sirtalis, since that's rather far east for T.s.similis.

Thamnophis
12-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Wow thamnophis, you certainly know a lot about America for living in the Netherlands!

I read a lot :)

mac
12-08-2006, 04:45 AM
Thanks to all. I love seeing the different snakes in my yard, and having an ID on them, makes it all the better. Once again Thank You.