PDA

View Full Version : What were you doing before Thamnophis?

enigma200316
01-27-2008, 04:26 PM
one of the other threads made me want to start this one, and find out
what every one was doing before finding thamnophis, and how its changed or influenced your day to day life and how you care for your Reptiles and so on????????? myself it got me into keeping Reptiles again and interested again, it was quite awhile since I had any and I'm glad I found this site because I really love keeping them and of course my fish also.........:)

adamanteus
01-27-2008, 04:28 PM
After a break of a few years I was considering getting back into the hobby.... then I found Thamnophis.com.

enigma200316
01-27-2008, 04:30 PM
After a break of a few years I was considering getting back into the hobby.... then I found Thamnophis.com.

so like me it was kinda a steping stone to get back into it, kool............:)

Thanks Boots and every one else.............;)

Stefan-A
01-27-2008, 04:37 PM
I was making enemies on another forum. http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/../images/smilies/rolleyes.gif Actually, this isn't entirely accurate. There were at least two of them. :D

But I probably spent most of my time on a Finnish hunting forum and a couple of firearms forums without making any enemies.

adamanteus
01-27-2008, 04:39 PM
I know I sat through some utter sh+t on the TV before I came here! Thamnophis is (obviously:rolleyes:) very important to me now. I see it (and you guys) as an integral part of my Garter hobby.

enigma200316
01-27-2008, 04:40 PM
I was making enemies on another forum. http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/../images/smilies/rolleyes.gif Actually, this isn't entirely accurate. There were at least two of them. :D

But I probably spent most of my time on a Finnish hunting forum and a couple of firearms forums without making any enemies.

man I think James was right, you are scaring me........:eek: Just kidding!!!!

enigma200316
01-27-2008, 04:41 PM
I know I sat through some utter sh+t on the TV before I came here! Thamnophis is (obviously:rolleyes:) very important to me now.

was that a bunch cow shows to be utter sh+t, or is it just Bull!!!!!;)

Sid
01-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Well, it had been quite some time since I had kept reptiles long term. The interest got rekindeled and while searching the net, found this great forum. Now there's no turning back.

CrazyHedgehog
01-27-2008, 05:17 PM
well, online research or programming, either way..still online!
I bought a few of my garters from Chloe and she mentioned she had found this forum, there were actually a few posts a day then...but then motormouth:rolleyes:..ooops I mean James:rolleyes: joined and now there have been about 53 posts in the last hour!!!

adamanteus
01-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Love you too, Inge.:D

CrazyHedgehog
01-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Your just too much fun to let the chance miss....I know you will read every response...and I know you can't resist replying!!!
he he he you know we love you!!:):D;)

adamanteus
01-27-2008, 05:35 PM
I don't reply to every one... Doh!

enigma200316
01-27-2008, 08:15 PM
thats funny,but off point........what do have to become moderator now

KITKAT
01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Like James, I was out of garters and thinking of getting back in. I had just taken the plunge, when thamnophis started!

And the other thing I was doing was wishing that the other garters and ribbons forum had more discussion and information. :eek::rolleyes:

And here it is. Information, true friendships, discussions that vary from the profound to the urbane, and lots of nice photo sharing too, all without flaming! :cool::cool:

ssssnakeluvr
01-27-2008, 11:33 PM
I was knee deep in garters.....kept checking the old thamnophis.com for updates and found none. Juergen was busy with other things. then it disappeared.....:eek: I would check every now and then to see if it came back and this forum!!! made my day!!!:D now i can chat with fellow garter nuts all the time!!!!!!! :cool:

EdgyExoticReptiles
01-28-2008, 01:19 AM
lol before i found thamnophis.com was going to bed a lot sooner

drache
01-28-2008, 04:47 AM
I seem to remember playing internet backgammon for a while . . .
aimlessly cruising for herp sites

Odie
01-28-2008, 05:33 AM
Existing, get up, go to work, come home, sleep, get up, go to work, come home, sleeping... :(
We (Robin & I) had just taken the plunge with Stripe, when I found thamnophis.com!:)
Now get up, hold snake, go to work, come home, play with snakes, sleep and blissfully dream of snakes. :o:D:o

Lori P
01-28-2008, 07:23 AM
LOL Reed!!!

I was reading more... and actually working while at work. :-) I've learned sooooo much here and have found that I enjoy the snakes more than I even thought I would. Oh, I remember why I joined... I saw pics of some Puget garters, fell in love, and found this site while looking for info on them.

I love that this group brings people from all over the world together!!! And I really appreciate the knowledge and constant support. :-)

enigma200316
01-28-2008, 08:41 AM
we're doing good here guys!!!!!!but I know there is a lot more members so keep going, the stories and what not are kool and interesting........:)
I thought by starting this, those who got this forum back and runny would
see how much we love and appreciate them and the time they put into it.

GarterGuy
01-28-2008, 09:43 AM
I was big into insect eating lizards...geckos, anoles, chameleons...but then became allergic to feeder insects. Decided to go back to snakes again (only had my one PI King at the time)...started keeping L.m.thayeri and planned to set up a breeding colony, but as colourful as they were, they weren't out and about and ended up kind of boring me. Then I starting thinking about garters again. Found Alan Francis's site, and then Felzer's and was hooked. At a herp show I then found a poor, emaciated T.s.cocinnus that I bought out of pity. This snake (Turk, my avatar) ignited my old love of garters (my first pet snake was a Manitoba T.s.parietalis)....and while trying to get as much info. on them as possible, I ended up here.:D I still think about getting into other snakes, but every time I end up comparing them to garters and they just all fall short.

SerpentGirl
01-28-2008, 10:34 AM
I just bought my Ribbon snake, and I tried feeding him a worm, but he wouldn't eat it, so I did some research, and found that not all ribbons like worms, but they like fish. And after reading a lot, I decided to search for a forum about ribbon snakes in hopes of finding a place that could help me in the future with my snake, and luckily, I found this site! :D

I just want to say that this is a very nice & friendly site, unlike a lot of them out there. There is no flaming or name calling, just nice people who are helpful & love snakes. It's a nice change from some other sites I used to read!

I also want to say that before here, I wasn't on the Internet as much.. :p

mycolorfulheart
01-28-2008, 11:16 AM
I adopted my garter from a friend and was so happy to do so--and then i realized that there's next to no information on them anywhere! whenever i googled any question about garters it'd come up with this site; usually i'm not into forum type websites but i decided what choice do i have?
haha i'm so glad! this is an awesome site, and I have such respect for everyone on here. you are all very knowledgeable and passionate about your animals! i think it speaks to the awesome nature of the members that most of the posts on here have nothing to do with garters....it's just us wanting to talk.

ScimitarX
01-28-2008, 11:34 AM
I wanted to broaden my knowledge of garters. When i joined i was keeping a few species, but wanted more info on them.

As everyone else has said, i think its awesoe how firendly everyone is and i enjoy being a part it

gregmonsta
01-28-2008, 12:36 PM
I found this lovely placey from Alan Francis' page when, after a three year break, I caught a massive dose of Garter fever (don't think there's a cure for that yet) :)

scorpio
01-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi,

I have been in a pet-forum. But the people there are really special. You can write about every animal there, but I'm not very impressed about the users there. The tread there animals like humans and don't care about there natural live. ("You have at least to keep two cats, a thamnophis needs a tank at least 1,25m long...") And the don't know much about terraristic. In these treat are few users.

I find the address of the thamnophis forum in a book, and I like to read the threats here. I'm a little embrassed, because I've only one male thamnophis.

enigma200316
01-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Hi,

I have been in a pet-forum. But the people there are really special. You can write about every animal there, but I'm not very impressed about the users there. The tread there animals like humans and don't care about there natural live. ("You have at least to keep two cats, a thamnophis needs a tank at least 1,25m long...") And the don't know much about terraristic. In these treat are few users.

I find the address of the thamnophis forum in a book, and I like to read the threats here. I'm a little embrassed, because I've only one male thamnophis.

no need to be, I'm sure you'll get more sooner or later.......................:)

adamanteus
01-28-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm a little embrassed, because I've only one male thamnophis.

No need to be embarrassed, Irina. We actually have a couple of members with no Thamnophis at all! It really doesn't matter, as long as you're interested.:)

Stefan-A
01-28-2008, 03:23 PM
I agree with James, the number of Thamnophis doesn't matter here, as long as you're interested. :) We all started from 0.

Serpentine99
01-28-2008, 06:11 PM
i was looking up information about garter snakes because at the time i was convincing my family to let me get one. i clicked on the link and found all these fascinating tips and tricks about caring for garters as well as fantastic photos and i immediately joined. Been here ever since and all the detailed information about these animals i picked up from this site made my parents see i had done my research and that i was responsible to get a pet for my own. now i have 4 snakes and working on my 5th one, all because of this great site. it also saved me from being one of those people who sits home and plays videogames all day, now im constantly running out to pet stores to get their every want and need.:rolleyes:

enigma200316
01-28-2008, 07:13 PM
nothing wrong with the video games, I like them too............:D

stonyloam
01-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Trying to find out if a blue eastern garter was unusual.:rolleyes: Guess it was!:D

Loren
01-28-2008, 08:17 PM
I just bought my Ribbon snake, and I tried feeding him a worm, but he wouldn't eat it, so I did some research, and found that not all ribbons like worms, but they like fish. And after reading a lot, I decided to search for a forum about ribbon snakes in hopes of finding a place that could help me in the future with my snake, and luckily, I found this site! :D

I just want to say that this is a very nice & friendly site, unlike a lot of them out there. There is no flaming or name calling, just nice people who are helpful & love snakes. It's a nice change from some other sites I used to read!

I also want to say that before here, I wasn't on the Internet as much.. :p
I've been getting my new ribbon snake to eat large pinkies and peach fuzzies by rubbing a smashed up guppy all over them. I keep a bunch of guppies frozen in an ice cube tray for this, and just thaw a cube for each feeding.

I got also got into this site because it seemed so friendly. This is the first forum I have posted on, I just read all the others because of some of the negativity. I was already hardcore into snakes, and already liked garters, but I am a little more into garters now.

I also spend much more time online now. I joined this forum shortly after my wife left, and its been really nice to always have people to "talk" to.

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Well I personally have been a garter nut long before I found thamnophis. I have been with reptastic.com as a super moderator now for about a year and a half. So I am always on this site and that one at the same time lol! But I must admit, this one's right up my alley!

Serpentine99
01-29-2008, 05:40 PM
nothing wrong with the video games, I like them too............:D

They're awesome, but i feel like i kinda wasted the day when i look at the clock when i start the game and its 11am and then i look at the clock when im done the game and its 11pm:eek:

adamanteus
01-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Those video games (like the TV) will totally fry your brain. Real life is far more interesting and challenging... plus you only get one life, so you have to get it right!

Serpentine99
01-29-2008, 05:49 PM
im lucky if i pick up the controller every two months, mostly because there really is alot more interesting stuff out there to do, but when i do decide to play the playstation2, i make sure i have the whole day to myself;)

Josh
01-29-2008, 08:04 PM
tryin to shove crickets done easterns mouths :rolleyes:

KITKAT
01-29-2008, 08:05 PM
tryin to shove crickets done easterns mouths :rolleyes:

HAHAHAHAHA! Great answer!:D:D

Josh
01-29-2008, 08:07 PM
lol
but this fourm helped me so much

Josh
01-29-2008, 08:08 PM
btw im a video game loser and proud of it lol

KITKAT
01-29-2008, 08:09 PM
lol
but this fourm helped me so much

Yes, your answer showed that so well. That's why I liked it... and also, I love sarcasm!:rolleyes:

Josh
01-29-2008, 08:11 PM
lol
i can remember a little 12 yr old runnin around the field with a bucket a stick and my guide to venemus snakes lol

Lori P
01-30-2008, 06:34 AM
Yes, your answer showed that so well. That's why I liked it... and also, I love sarcasm!:rolleyes:

I have a t shirt that reads:

"National Sarcasm Society
like we need your support"

:D

Stefan-A
01-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Why not "National Sarcasm Association"? Has a better acronym. ;)

tikichick
01-31-2008, 07:13 AM
I was hip deep in iguanas and other lizards, won a ball python at an expo raffle and decided snakes were pretty cool, even if they don't have feet. I'd been moderating a local reptile forum and one of the members bought a checkered for her daughter. A month later, it had 13 babies. She breeds beardies, but couldn't sell the garters at the next expo because right before they were born, Texas Parks & Wildlife passed a law making the sale of garters illegal. She was concerned because the law also says you can have only 10 in your possession and with 13 babies and the mother, she was over the limit. Another member took 1, so I offered to take half of the remaining ones. She's since rehomed all but one baby and is also keeping the mother. I've still got the six and will be down to four when a friend gets her viv set up for a couple. A couple nights before I picked them up, I started googling garters and luckily found this forum! This is THE most wonderful and friendly group I've ever been a part of and I'm so grateful I found yall :D