PDA

View Full Version : Pending project ... advice please!

gregmonsta
04-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Well I'm seriously thinking about building a viv unit comprising of four vivs. I'm looking for advice on the best places to source components from in the UK. I'll be visiting B&Q I guess.
Where's the best place for glass runners?
Sliding door handles?
I'll be using MDF is this a good option?
I'm thinking about using heat cable for the whole set-up ... what's the best way to incorporate this?

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/vivideas.JPG

adamanteus
04-05-2008, 04:32 PM
It looks like your project is fairly similar to the way I construct my vivs, Greg. Have you read this?
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/enclosures/526-new-vivaria.html?highlight=vivaria

If you're using sliding glass doors, it's best to have the handles 'ground-in' at the glass merchant, so the doors can cross over for cleaning etc.

gregmonsta
04-05-2008, 04:41 PM
What is the material for the backboard? ... I'd considered 0.6cm MDF so far ... also should I insulate the MDF in between the heat-cable and false floor? .... I am considering using ceramic tiles like your slate ... where would I stat the cable? ....
I'm all questions tonight :) cheers for any advice mate.

adamanteus
04-05-2008, 04:55 PM
The back is 'white-faced' hardboard (HDF). For the main structure, I never use MDF because it turns to 'Weetabix' as soon as moisture hits it. I always use Melamine (Conti-Plas) which is plastic faced. You still need to seal all joints well, but once done it practically holds water.

I use Kingspan insulation below my heat cable.... to reflect the heat upwards. Tin-foil works just as well.

Just a word on ceramic tiles.... slippy!! The snakes get no grip on the surface, so they can't move around too well!

My stat is on the outside of the viv, with the sensor located inside and out of sight.

gregmonsta
04-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Cheers :D ... I had been thinking more about the 'rougher' type of tile ;) ... and melamine it is then.

adamanteus
04-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Any questions at all, Greg (or photos?) just ask.:)

CrazyHedgehog
04-06-2008, 04:34 AM
For the glass runners, we found that B&Q only sell 1 size, (5 or 6 mm I think) and this leaves a gap between the glass that the garters can squeeze between. We bought some from a smaller diy merchant, (4mm) and then some for a different tank from a glaziers. Just a thought!

gregmonsta
04-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Cheers :) ... I'll check the smaller placeys too.

gregmonsta
05-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Been checking prices and ... if I use plexi-glass instead of glass to begin with (keeping the costs down) then I reckon I could build this for approx £200 or so. I like this price :D .... anyway .... above the heat cable I've been a little stuck on what 'false-foor' to use (it would be 'pulse-statted' in the second viv above the false floor) .... Would HDF work? With a pattern of 2mm holes to allow the heat through (hopefully avoiding overheating and/or fire risk)? I would continue with repticarpet as a substrate (secured with velcro) on top of this.

gregmonsta
06-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Been checking prices and ... if I use plexi-glass instead of glass to begin with (keeping the costs down) then I reckon I could build this for approx £200 or so. I like this price :D .... anyway .... above the heat cable I've been a little stuck on what 'false-foor' to use (it would be 'pulse-statted' in the second viv above the false floor) .... Would HDF work? With a pattern of 2mm holes to allow the heat through (hopefully avoiding overheating and/or fire risk)? I would continue with repticarpet as a substrate (secured with velcro) on top of this.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/vivideas2.JPG

This is what I've figured so far .... if I go ahead with the hardboard subfloor with 2mm holes. I'll be lining it with radiator foil and using 10meters of heat cable. Running between the vivs in the indicated corner and then hidden behind more holey hardboard lol. This will be pulse statted to 30Celcius.
In the bottom viv I'll be using a 100watt red spot bulb for penelope (everglades ratsnake) as it's the biggest viv and this will be dimmer statted to keep the cool end at about 20Celcius.
The 'smaller vivs will get 25-40watt spots and will be wired in series to another dimmer stat.

How's my idea shaping up?

Snake lover 3-25
06-13-2008, 04:49 PM
looks pretty good to me...:D:D:D

adamanteus
06-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Don't forget Greg, Garters are very cold tolerant... hence the problems many people have with sloughing etc...
As you know I have a similar arrangement with under-floor heating, but I'll be honest... it never clicks on! The transformer in the strip light (plus ambient room temperature) does the job.

gregmonsta
06-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Cool ... it's always a back up - and to make sure for winter too as our flat can get quite cold :) .... and I want to make sure the females will get bottom heat if they need it when they eventually get preggers in a year or two :D

adamanteus
06-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Your plan looks great, Greg. When you've done the first one, the rest are easy!

gregmonsta
06-13-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm soooo looking forward to it .... now I just need to wait till the teaching starts up again so I can buy all the stuff. :rolleyes:

adamanteus
06-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Ahh... money! Tell me about it!:rolleyes: