PDA

View Full Version : Aid my...snake

Moto_Driver
01-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Hello I am new in the forum, I am of Puerto Rico. I am speak Spanish sory the letter.

I am posting that I have a Thamnophis, not the complete name a photo (not mine is for de web);

http://www.kingsnake.com/dfw/checklist/snakes/T.proximus2.jpg

My problen is that in the ''Pet Shop'' it did not inform to be aniting.Only that it fed whit a fish (comets) 1 or 2 times per week.Reading the forum I see that they feeding wiht other tings.That they are those things? Where fiding my snake.

My another prodlen is the enclosures or terarium. How is the neserary?

They can gives me ideas or pictures to give them.

abcat1993
01-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Couldn't you have looked this all up BEFORE you got one? They eat frogs in the wild but shouldn't be fed them in captivity. In captivity they eat nightcrawlers, and baby mice. The enclosure for a small garter (12 inches) is 10 gallons at least, I have mine in a twenty though.

Moto_Driver
01-07-2007, 07:16 PM
The name if got to me in the ''Pet Shop'' is "Garden Snake'' when encounters looks information whit this name in the web nothing so that is a common name and not a scientific name in otrer forum in spanish by chance one person wise the scientific name.But for a time I having it, like a year.

The Enclourse;Is a 13''x 8''x 6''(Large,Wide,Tall)

As it put photos whit BBC code

Cazador
01-07-2007, 11:30 PM
Hi Julian,
Bienvenidos a thamnophis.com! Soy muy mal a llamarando cual especie de serpiente es cual (y hablando en Espanol para el asunto), pero yo tento. Yo penso que es un Western ribbon snake. Es possible que es un Thamnophis proximus, pero tienes mucho azul. Se comprado este serpiente en Florida o lejos de alli? Los otros miembros de este foro hay mas bien que yo a llamarando cual serpiente tiene. Fui va a preguntolos para usted. Tambien, como grande es su serpiente? La larga mas el ancho para la casa para el serpiente necessita igual la larga de del serpiente a la mas pequeno. La casa que to tiene es bien para un serpeinte que es 21" or mas pequeno.
Rick

P.S. Su serpiente es muy lindo!

I said, "Welcome to thamnophis.com." I'm very bad at naming which species of snake is which (and speaking in Spanish for that matter), but I try. I think that it's an Western ribbon snake. It's possible that it's a Thamnophis proximus, but it has a lot of blue. Did you buy the snake in Florida or far from there? The other members of this forum are much better at naming which snake you have. I'm going to ask them for you. Also, how big is your snake? The length plus the width of the snake's house needs to equal the length of the snake at the very least. The house that you have is fine for a snake that's 21" or smaller.
Rick

P.S. Your snake is very pretty!

Soooo, does anybody recognize what type of snake he has?

GarterGuy
01-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Hmmmmm....from the pic, I'd have to say it's an Eastern ribbon snake, probably a Blue-striped (Thamnophis sauritus nitae). It has a dark stripe bordering the belly scales.....so it's definitely not a Western ribbon (T. proximus) and with the pale blue side stripes and dark black body..yeh, it's got to be a Blue-striped (T.s.nitae).
As far as care for this critter.......it'll naturally eat fish and amphibians, so in captivity you're mostly going to be feeding it fish. The comets they recomended to feed it are not good for it, they're just another kind of goldfish that could cause problems with thiaminase. Rosie reds or others would be a much better choice. Rick (Cazador) is king of thiaminase knowlege so I'll pop that one back to him....as well as a translation that hopefully will be better understood.:D

---Roy

Cazador
01-08-2007, 01:36 AM
Bien trabaja, Roy. El Roy es un de los bien hombre quien sabe los serpientes muy bien. El Roy dicho que es un Eastern ribbon snake, no un Western ribbon snake. El dicho que es probablemente un blue-striped ribbon snake (Thamnophis sauritus nitae), y el dicho por que es este tipo del serpiente. El es seguro que no es un western ribbon snake, y el es seguro que es un T.s. nitae. Este serpiente quieres mucho agua, pero lo necissita una zona seco, tambien. Da el serpiente un agua bol grande, cerca 1/4 - 1/3 de la casa.

Este serpiente va a comer muchos pescas y anfibios. No da "comets" a comer, porque ellos son un otro tipo de pececito de color rojo, y hay mal para su serpiente. Rosie reds (Pimephalas promelas), trucha (Onchorhynchus mykiss) y los salmonson mas bueno para su serpiente. Dar de comer los peces 2 o 3 tiempos de semana. Buenos suerte,
Rick

Good job, Roy. Roy is one of the guys that know snakes very well. Roy said that it's an Eastern ribbon snake, not a Western ribbon snake. He said that it's probably a blue-striped ribbon snake (Thamnophis sauritus nitae), and he said why it's this kind of snake. He is certain that it's a Western ribbon snake and that it's a T.s. nitae. This snake likes a lot of water, but it also needs a dry area, too. Give the snake a large water bowl, about 1/4 to 1/3 of its home.

This snake is going to eat a lot of fish and amphibians. Don't give it "comets" to eat because they're another type of goldfish, and they are bad for your snake. Rosie reds, trout, and salmon are much better for your snake. Feed it two or three times per week. Good luck,
Rick

Sid
01-08-2007, 04:59 AM
Hi Julian and welcome to the forum.

I agree with Cazador and Garterguy. Your snake looks like an Eastern Ribbon. Some of these get up to 36" long, so a 20 gallon aquarium would be recommended (enclosure 30" long by 12" deep).

In the wild their main food items are salamanders, frogs and fish. The Ribbon snakes can be taught to eat mice by first senting them with frogs or fish. After a short time the senting will not be required. A rodend diet is much healthier for your snake.

Sid

snakeman
01-08-2007, 05:04 AM
Probally a eastern ribbon.Definitly not a blue stripe ribbon.blue stripes do not have a very define vetebral stripe like that one has.

ssssnakeluvr
01-08-2007, 07:06 PM
looks like an eastern ribbon to me also....

Moto_Driver
01-08-2007, 09:23 PM
I tink,to mi snake not a eastern ribbon snake so that the haed is diferent

The eastern ribbon head like this;

http://www.kentuckysnakes.org/snakes/easternribbon-head.jpg

and my snake head like this;
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/showphoto.php?photo=62&limit=recent
(The lines is like a eastern ribbon but the head like to the link(the two points or lines).So that?)

Sory, As I can put my images?

Moto_Driver
01-08-2007, 09:38 PM
And other question the Trucha and Salmon as a big fish as them provision to mi snake in, pices, strips...?

KITKAT
01-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Here is the picture that did not appear in your post.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/mex_mt_snake2.jpg

The difference between the western ribbon snake and the eastern ribbon snake is the two little light dots on the top of the head. These are called "parietal spots" if I remember correctly, and these spots are also not found on most garters. Therefore, with this picture, you have a western ribbon snake. It is a relative of the Thamnophis, and has many similar habits and foods.

I hope this helps.

It is very common for pet stores to identify their garter and ribbon snakes incorrectly, and the term "Garden Snake" is a frequent mistake that they make also.:rolleyes:

Cazador
01-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Julian,
Yes, cut the trout (trucha) and salmon into strips. Then give them to your snake. Also look at the eastern ribbon snakes at this web site:

Kousebandslangen.nl (http://www.kousebandslangen.nl/index1.htm)

You can see western ribbon snakes at this web site:

Kousebandslangen.nl (http://www.kousebandslangen.nl/index1.htm)

The same species can look very different from each other.
Rick

Moto_Driver
01-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Sory I confused :D.

1* What snake has the two little light dots on the top of the head, "Western ribbon snake''

2* And I have a ''Western ribbon snake'' whit my snake have the two little light.

Is True or False

My enclourse

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1114/terrariaculebrapk8.jpg

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7319/conciertodericardoarjonyo5.jpg

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/3527/culebra1xr1.jpg
Is a 13''x 8''x 6''(Large,Wide,Tall)

I am tink change whit a 20g or more galons acuarium.

PLEASE POST YOURS ENCLOUSERS TO GIVE ME IDEAS.And make hapy my snake!

I need ideas!

GarterGuy
01-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Ok, now I'm confused?:confused: Is the snake in the pic on the very first post the snake you have? The last pics posted, shows a snake that doesn't appear to have any blue on it at all? I really couldn't see the dots on the top of the head before, but yeah....if they're there, it would seem to be a Western ribbon snake (T.proximus ssp.)....I'm not even going to try and figure out what subspecies until I know exactly which pic is of the actual snake. Isn't snake identification FUN!:D

As far as the enclosure (I'm sorry, don't have any pics of mine) one thing you REALLY need is someplace for your snake to hide. From what I can see, you've only got a water bowl and a branch. You should have something for it to hide in or under. Even something as simple as a paper towel roll will do....just as long as it's something it can get into or under and doesn't have any chance of getting crushed or otherwise hurt (don't put in rocks for it to hide under....it'll push the bedding out from underneth it and could get crushed!).

---Roy

Cazador
01-09-2007, 12:22 AM
Mas de la gente en este foro dicho que tu tiene un Eastern ribbon snake. Una dama dicho que tu tiene un Western ribbon snake. Ahora, por favor dime de donde he comprado este serpiente. Lo va a ayudar nosotros si nos sabemos de donde este serpiente vivido. Mas del tiempo los azul serpientes viven cerca de Florida. Azul serpeintes de Florida pueden ser Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis (Florida blue), Thamnophis sirtalis similis, or Thamnophis sauritus nitae (blue striped Eastern ribbon snake). Nunca de la gente dicho que es un T.s. similis. Un hombre dicho que es un T.s. sirtalis (Florida blue), pero su serpiente hecho pequno barras blanca en frente de los ojos. Solamente ribbon snakes tienen este barras en frente de los ojos, tan es un ribbon snake. Si han vivido cerca de Florida, entonces es seguro que es un T.s. nitae. Se han vivido lejos de Florida, entonces es possiblemente un otro ribbon snake. El Roy (Garterguy) dicho que su serpeinte necessitan algun lugar esconder, y es la verdad. Pon madera en el cajon, no una roca. Tambien, yo creo que tu necessita una casa mas grande para su serpeinte. Finalmente, un mas pregunta. Es su serpiente el serpiente azul en el primer pajina de mas arriba, or es cerca la mas arriba de este pajina? Hasta luego,
Rick

Most of the people on this forum said that you have an Eastern ribbon snake. One lady said that you have a Western ribbon snake. Now please tell me where you bought this snake. It is going to help us if we know where this snake used to live. Most of the time, blue snakes live near Florida (I didn't mention any exceptions). Blue snakes from Florida could be a Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis (Florida blue), Thamnophis sirtalis similis, or a Thamnophis sauritus nitae (blue striped eastern ribbon snake). None of the people said it was a T.s. similis. One person said it was a T.s. sirtalis (Florida blue), but your snake has small white bars in front of its eyes. Only ribbon snakes have these bars in front of their eyes, so it must be a ribbon snake. If it lived near Florida, then it must be a T.s. nitae. If it lived far from Florida, then it's possibly a different ribbon snake. Roy (Garterguy) said your snake needs some place to hide, and this is true. Put some wood in the cage, not a rock. Also, I believe you need a larger home for your snake. Finally, one more question. Is your snake the blue one at the top of the first page, or is it near the top of this page? See ya,
Rick

boeh
01-09-2007, 02:42 AM
Hola Moto_Driver

If your snake has those 2 dots, it's a Thamnophis proximus ssp. (subspecies). If the snake don't have any dots or only one dot, it's quite possible thats an Thamnophis sauritus ssp.

For a clear identification we need some good pics of your snake (top and side pics). If i interpret it right, no one of the pictures showing your snake, except of the pictures with the cage?

We have a thread with some enclosures:
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/enclosures/170-enclosure-pictures.html?highlight=enclosures

As Rox already said, you need some hiding places and a larger tank as the snake grow.

Cyrill

Markus18
01-09-2007, 07:00 AM
http://www.bnl.gov/esd/reserve/images/snakes9.jpgthe for me it is a eastern ribbon snake because the head is not so big and beamy!
Upton Herpetology - Snakes (http://www.bnl.gov/esd/reserve/snakes.htm)
i think its athamnophis sauritus

ssssnakeluvr
01-09-2007, 08:55 AM
ummm...the nice little brown garter in the deli cup is a northwestern garter...thamnophis ordinoides.... Most garters and ribbons have the 2 little dots on the head

GarterGuy
01-09-2007, 09:30 AM
ummm...the nice little brown garter in the deli cup is a northwestern garter...thamnophis ordinoides.... Most garters and ribbons have the 2 little dots on the head

Yeh, I was thinking that was a T.ordinoides. Knew it wasn't a ribbon.

Moto_Driver
01-09-2007, 12:48 PM
I find in web that my snake is a Thamnophis proximus rutiloris.

Sory not to be able to puts photos of mi snake, The camera it has left without batteries.:mad:

Yes the blue one at the top of the first page is my enclourse.I go to purshase, a 20 gallons tank and equip it for my snake, (and batteries for my camera):D.

Tanks for all. :)

GarterGuy
01-09-2007, 01:07 PM
T.p.rutiloris??!!?? Where did you get this snake from? I can't imagine ANY pet store having Mexican ribbons! Very few if any Thamnophis from Mexico and Central America EVER make there way to the states for sale. If it really is T.p.rutiloris....that's quite a find....but I have my doubts. I do agree that if it has the two parietal spots on the head, it's a T.proximus, but I'm betting it's either a T.p.proximus or T.p.orarius..but like I had said before, it'll take more pics for a good ID.