PDA

View Full Version : How to save money & have fun

infernalis
06-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Many folks keep a garter or two around since they are really inexpensive as pets.

Here is things I have found over the years to save money, and still keep your animals healthy and sound.

Sturdy glass or otherwise washable ash trays work great for water bowls, and can be found at any rummage sale for a quarter.

Fish tanks are all over the place, and leaky ones often free, since we use them dry, who cares if the seams leak?

Hides need not be purchased at all, small cardboard boxes are free, and can be used just fine, stripey won't think your cheap, I promise.

If you are creative, and want to build an enclosure, most glass stores will sell you a panel that was mis cut or never picked up for next to nothing to get it off the rack.

I have used clean soil from outside and planted grass in the tank, it is handsome, and free!

toilet paper tubes, paper towel tubes and cardboard shipping tubes make fine places to hide.

clamp lamp domes are $5 at Lowe's, fake vines at the dollar store, if you look around and really think, an awesome Viv can be built for next to nothing.

for the more resourceful folks, I have found some great framing at a local scrap yard for pennies, look around it's out there!

Enjoy,
Wayne

Stefan-A
06-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Sturdy glass or otherwise washable ash trays work great for water bowls, and can be found at any rummage sale for a quarter.
I use stainless steel and plastic food/water bowls intended for dogs, and plastic food containers. Cheap as hell and you can always throw them in the dishwasher. The plastic food/water bowls I use have holes in the side, so they double as hides. Especially handy when it's hot, because then they're practically water cooled.

Plastic VHS tape cases also work.

Fish tanks are all over the place, and leaky ones often free, since we use them dry, who cares if the seams leak?Stackable plastic containers (rubbermaid, hammarplast, smart store and whatever the hell they're called), cheaper than faunariums and most old scratchy aquariums. Did I mention that they're stackable?

Hides need not be purchased at all, small cardboard boxes are free, and can be used just fine, stripey won't think your cheap, I promise.I've bought one, a coconut hide. It's the least popular hide among my snakes.

edit: sorry, I've bought two. The second one is made out of hay or something. Not quite as impopular.

I have used clean soil from outside and planted grass in the tank, it is handsome, and free!Dry leaves make a nice addition. But I am a bit skeptical about using soil without at least heating it first.

toilet paper tubes, paper towel tubes and cardboard shipping tubes make fine places to hide. This turned out to be a nice solution:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/thamnoph/photos/snakesies08/rollhide1.jpg

I have also used a cardboard air rifle target, with the sides bent down. Worked just fine and I have thousands of those lying around.

clamp lamp domes are $5 at Lowe's, fake vines at the dollar store, if you look around and really think, an awesome Viv can be built for next to nothing.Have been doing that since forever. :)

Good advice, Wayne. :) I'm not just saying that because I've been doing those things. ;) You can find almost everything you need outdoors.

Zephyr
06-16-2008, 12:03 PM
I use old nightcrawler containers for water bowls and newspaper for substrate. Also, you can buy a 10 pack of sun-light filtered incandescent light bulbs for about $6. They heat up the same as the reptile bulbs do. :P
Also, you can use old cream cheese, plastic coffee cans, and whatnot as hides. :D
I dunno where I heard it, but you can put freshly cut tree leaves, still on the stem, in a certain solution and they'll absorb it and become preserved.

anji1971
06-16-2008, 01:24 PM
I love the dollar store for tank stuff!
I use their plastic containers for water dishes, after buying far too many expensive stone-look ones that get all scuzzy after a while. The cheap plastic responds well to boiling water for a cleaning.
I get all the vines and plants there too. And I make hides out of anything I can find, however, a few weeks ago my local pet store was clearing out all kinds of hollow log hides and I grabbed a few for just a couple dollars each.
I didn't know about the glass companies selling unwanted panels cheaply. Now that's something I'll have to look into in the near future!

infernalis
06-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Anji - Simply walk into any glass & window store, tell them you are looking for blims, canceled orders or mis-cut panels.

I purchased 3 panels of safety glass, a yard long each for $10 from a local glass company.

Here is one I made from it, took $30 and 3 hours to complete total. I had home depot pre-cut the wood, assembly was quick.

dollar store bulb, box for a hide, old Tupperware bowl for water, and this snake was in heaven compared to where he was before.:cool:

Wayne

http://www.reformedsniper.net/snakes/cage1.jpg

infernalis
06-16-2008, 01:48 PM
this box cost $25 to complete, the glass was a top from a living room table, $5 at a rummage sale, and the table had 2 panels on it.

http://www.reformedsniper.net/snakes/cytank.jpg

This set up was all of $30 to complete, and has the second panel from that table, turned up sideways.

http://www.reformedsniper.net/SN/vines.jpg

Wayne

anji1971
06-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Pretty cool, Wayne!
Now I have a project to look forward to in the fall and winter, when the gardening and outdoor stuff is over!

Snake lover 3-25
06-16-2008, 01:52 PM
this is what i did for Sooty's upcoming babies... i went to the local craft store and bought some very cheap drink insulators... i cut part of the bottom off to make them shorter and buried them in substrate... i also picked up a bunch of tiny clay pots and drilled holes in them... i took the extra drink insulator tops and cut a hole in the side and placed a clay pot water holder on top.... i'll post pics!!!

infernalis
06-16-2008, 01:54 PM
all very useful and creative ideas:)

Wayne

el lobo
06-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Only problem I have had with cardboard, is that if your viv is humid, they can get soggy and mouldy.

Zephyr
06-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Wayne, on the cages, do the fronts fold up or something with hinges? I may want to build something like this...

infernalis
06-16-2008, 02:01 PM
but since it's free, just toss and replace frequently.

I dump it all out at cleaning time.

My Asian Green snake requires a lot of humidity, so no cardboard in there, besides his idea of hiding is to stay wrapped in the vines:D

food options are another way to pinch the pennies, I have found fillet fish at dollar stores before.

I breed my own mice, but there is a subject onto itself.......

Regards,
Wayne

infernalis
06-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Wayne, on the cages, do the fronts fold up or something with hinges? I may want to build something like this...

The bigger one had hinges on top, and now does the one that had the corn snake in it.

The arboreal enclosure for the green snake has a removable glass, the bottom sets into a groove, and the top is secured by a wooden "bar" across it.

The next big enclosure challenge will be the upgrade for Chomper.

His box will be 8 feet wide, 4 deep and 3 tall.

His current box will house a ball python nicely, or maybe a milk.

Have fun,
Wayne

Snake lover 3-25
06-16-2008, 02:16 PM
here are my pics!!!:D

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/IMG_5713.JPG

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/IMG_5712.JPG

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/IMG_5708.JPG

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/IMG_5706.JPG

infernalis
06-16-2008, 02:19 PM
I like that, very clever!

very art deco:)

Thanks for showing us that, infinite possibilities in there.

Wayne

jitami
06-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Walmart sells their meat in plastic containers... think the old styrofoam meat packaging, only plastic and deeper. I wash those, throw them in the dishwasher, and save for water dishes. My guy always has room to swim and there's plenty of room to add fish for a little hunting practice. They're easy to wash, but if they get grungy or I get lazy I just toss them. Only real problem is that they're too large to easily change water without removing everything else in the viv, but I like the look and availably of swimming water, so I deal with re-arranging the tank often!

aSnakeLovinBabe
06-16-2008, 05:02 PM
I went to the dollar store, and bought these little 3 packs of microwaveable containers that are black, turned each upside down after cutting a triangle into the side of it... makes a perfect hide for 33 cents! For the rack that houses small snakes, I bought those cardboard-ish things that you start plants in and you plant the whole thing in the ground. Flip them upside down, cut a triangle and voila, eight little hideys for a dollar! For a while I was using plastic ask trays as water bowls from the dollar store too, but I had problems with a lot of my snakes tipping them. I finally got fed up and I went to Wal-mart and looked in the pet section... all their bowls were at least a dollar, I wanted something cheaper yet... so I went over to the dinnerware section... and I got the PERFECT water bowls. They were 80 cents each, they are ceramic and about 5 inches in diameter. They work wonderfully for my snake rack! They also sell larger ceramic bowls (made for eating) for as little as 50 cents a piece! I just selected the ones that were the most flat-bottomed and least likely to tip. I also work at a pet store, and when we get fish tanks in, the larger ones come packed in a big box with these cardboard cushion things to hold the corners of the tank in place to prevent damage. They are pyramid shaped and they let me have all I want!!!

Yard sales and warehouse sales are great too. I just picked up a solid wooden shelf at a warehouse sale that is 6 feet high, 32 inches long, 14 inches wide, has four shelves including the bottom one, and it was only SEVEN dollars... all because a little kid had drawn on one of the shelves. Simple solution? I spraypainted it with semi-glossy black paint and Voila, a wonderful new shelf for my snake room that is nice and closed on three sides for the snake's security! I am planning on putting either ten gallon or 15 gallon tanks into it.

adamanteus
06-16-2008, 05:06 PM
You're all making me feel foolish.... I spend a small fortune on my vivs and furnishings.:o

Snake lover 3-25
06-16-2008, 05:13 PM
why?????

to tell you the truth... the real first two snakes i had.... (well... i had 2 for 2 days... then i found the rest of their littermates...) but you know those big spigetti pots.... i put some dirt and a few pieces of wood and there you go i had a cage.... of corse this was 4 or so yrs ago........ when i knew nothing..... but i fed them worms... and ended up letting them go after about 6 months to get the corns.... worst mistake EVER!!!!!!!!:(:(:(

adamanteus
06-16-2008, 05:20 PM
All my vivs are custom made from melamine, 4ft wide, built in stacks of three. Under floor heated, thermostatically controlled, slate floors, toughened glass sliding doors (with dressed edges and finger grip handles ground in). Realistic looking plants, adjustable plastic vents in the rear, etc.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//537/medium/Viv_Complete.jpg

Snake lover 3-25
06-16-2008, 05:21 PM
:(:(:(you're a disappointment:p:p:p

adamanteus
06-16-2008, 05:25 PM
:(:(you're a disappointment:p:p

Thank you. X :)

Zephyr
06-16-2008, 05:29 PM
James, I'm sorry, but that, although flashy, deserves an epic fail.

adamanteus
06-16-2008, 05:32 PM
James, I'm sorry, but that, although flashy, deserves an epic fail.

Thanks Kyle, but I'll stick with it for now.;)

Zephyr
06-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks Kyle, but I'll stick with it for now.;)
Which basically means you should stop buying the good quality stuff and start looking in dumpsters n' dollar stores for old ceramic bowls and whatnot! :O

Snake lover 3-25
06-16-2008, 05:35 PM
lol i love how you take being put down...:D:D:p

infernalis
06-16-2008, 06:56 PM
I for one James really like your rack. I think its very nice.

Excuse me while I go nibble some government cheese rations.

Wayne

Snake lover 3-25
06-16-2008, 07:00 PM
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:p:p

crzy_kevo
06-20-2008, 04:40 PM
i like your set up james it would go very nice with the decor in a living room which is what im sure you were going for

adamanteus
06-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Thank you Kevin. You are now officially my best friend!:D

crzy_kevo
06-20-2008, 04:49 PM
its my pleasure james i completely understand why u went with the more modern decorative look it also saves you from having to make a seperate room for your garters as well why hide them in a seperate room anyway your should be proud to show off your beautiful garters

adamanteus
06-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Well, actually they are in a separate room... some people just don't like snakes! I have a room set aside for the snakes, so that 'normal life' can go on around us and no one need know there are evil beings in the house! I just like my vivs to look nice.... after all, I have to look at them!

crzy_kevo
06-20-2008, 04:55 PM
lol well that works too

CrazyHedgehog
06-20-2008, 05:14 PM
yes... but unfortuneatly it never stays in just 1 room!!!:eek:

crzy_kevo
06-20-2008, 05:40 PM
i know my enclosre probly wont cost me more than $20-30 most of the materials i can get across the street :)

Loren
06-20-2008, 10:36 PM
James, those are awesome cages.
I have built shelving, rack systems, and my rat rack, but havent actually made my own display cages. I use either home built sterilite type racks or aquariums for all my snakes right now.
I'm working on another rack right now- but it is another plastic tub rack, although it will use large and tall iris tubs(95 qt(90 liters) each) to allow for more visibilty and room for the snakes. The iris tubs have very clear plastic, so visibility is pretty good, and yet the snakes seem to feel more secure inside them- and they are super easy to clean.
Its a 10 tub rack, and will probably come out to 35$ per cage when completed. including belly heat.

My dream would be to have a very large room filled with cages like yours though.

drache
06-21-2008, 06:50 AM
I love your set-ups, James
if I had the skill and time . . .
like Loren, I manage to build decent shelving and I use primarily glass tanks
most of the smaller ones I get free, but the big ones are a problem
I'm currently looking at getting a 6'x2'x25" tank with glass sliding doors and it all adds up:
the tank, the screen top, the truck I have to book for the day, and the giant headache when I think of getting that thing up the stairs and into the house
it's huge - it's heavy - and it's all glass
but it's the least expensive option, if I don't build it myself

infernalis
06-22-2008, 05:22 AM
yes... but unfortunately it never stays in just 1 room!!!:eek:

We have snakes in the living room, dining room, spare room and 3 in my bedroom.

Garter_Gertie
06-22-2008, 06:53 AM
As long as I'm here in this apartment (until Jan; long story) the three garters will be here in the dining room. Haven't figured out where I'll put Kanebec - originially he was going to be in the dining room until I decided I HAVE TO HAVE some garters.

I'm not the kind'a person to hide much of anything. Like, this is my house and my kids will be with me. If someone doesn't like it, tough. They're not living here. Too, I think it demystifies the entire "evil" snake thing having them out in plain sight as accepted and 'ordinary' as a chair or table or lamp. Know what I mean? Better able to desenseatize (did I spell that correctly?) people. The more they are around/see something the more used to it they become.

anji1971
06-22-2008, 10:22 AM
My snake enclosures are an integral part of my living room furnishings. I can't imagine not having them in the main part of the house for all of us to enjoy. Even my mother-in-law will sometimes wander over and watch them. (Although I'm not entirely sure whether she is watching out of interest, or just to be certain they're all still in the tank and can't get her!!):D

crzy_kevo
06-22-2008, 02:47 PM
lol anji i have a friend that wont go near my tank cuz if she sees george she will cry

anji1971
06-22-2008, 06:55 PM
And I have friends who simply won't come over at all!!:D

infernalis
06-22-2008, 08:13 PM
And I have friends who simply won't come over at all!!:D

what are friends?

Snake lover 3-25
06-23-2008, 09:08 AM
i have a friend that wont go near my tank cuz if she sees george she will cry

Why???? lol anji!!!

crzy_kevo
06-23-2008, 12:13 PM
well you see she has a bad snake phobia

Snake lover 3-25
06-23-2008, 04:17 PM
so she cries????

Spiritwolf
06-29-2008, 11:30 AM
I use the ziploc plastic square shallow containers, cream cheese containers (Feisty right now is soaking in her cream cheese container version of a hot tub and looking at me), or the larger deeper ziplock plastic containers for water. With the smaller containers, I put a small rock in the center although so far none have ever been tipped over, the big swimming pool container for the adult garters has enough water in it that it's too heavy to tip over. I've also used empty plastic ice cream/sherbet containers for the adult garters (the common average size, 1/2 gallon I think is what it is). I also use cardboard boxes for dens. It was really funny when the babies I got last fall from Scott Felzer, first arrived and the boys had a large Gobstoppers box for a den and the girls had a large SugarBabies box for a den. Right now my corn girl has a Honey Maid cinnamon graham cracker box for a den. I cut a small hole in each side, one in back, and one in the top of the box too, so the snakes can crawl in and out of their dens from different directions. I have also found that the snakes enjoy cardboard toilet paper tubes and paper towel tubes. I usually cut a hole in the top in the middle of the tube or with paper towel tubes, cut a top hole in the middle and a side hole halfway between the middle and the ends, because the young snakes have a lot of fun going in and out of those holes. (And its hilarious to see a 3foot plus almost yearling cornsnake stuff her entire self inside a paper towel tube!)

I use the Carefresh bedding that I discussed in another post, it's inexpensive, soft, absorbent, safe, and the snakes love to tunnel through it. It's easy to deal with when changing and cleaning the cage and it doesn't make a big mess if it ends up in the water. I wouldn't want to see what a water dish and cage would look like after a snake crawled through dirt and water and mixed them together well!

Spiritwolf
06-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Throw a towel/small blanket/sheet over your tanks when friends who are unappreciative of snakes come over. If they don't see the snakes and you don't mention the snakes, nobody will know they are there. When my mom, who is deathly afraid of snakes, came into my room one day to get online on my pcs, I covered the shelves of snake cages which are behind the pcs, with a dark colored bedsheet and she never knew they were there. If she had even suspected a snake was anywhere near her, she would have been petrified. She won't even walk into the woods because of fear of the possibility of running into a snake!

Zephyr
06-29-2008, 12:33 PM
My grandpa gave me some hospital quality bed pans/medicine containers, and they are working better than anything I've used yet!

infernalis
10-18-2008, 09:26 AM
More recent finds to help save money.

Tilapia and Salmon 4 oz fillet $1 at local dollar store.

Dog bowl with openings on bottom doubles as hide $1 at dollar general. Use as water bowl for larger baby snakes, 6 - 20 months. Larger size available for bigger snakes.

small water dish - free on top of each yogurt that has sprinkles or other treats on top. Best for neonates (small babies) to about 6 months, then the snake will tip it over a lot.

We just saw a giant enclosure made from an old TV, tell us how you save money....

crzy_kevo
10-18-2008, 01:35 PM
in my baby tank i have an old small plastic flower pot that you get when you buy a flower or other plant at a sore i just turned it upside down and cut a rectangular hole in one side itrefered hide of my baby snakes and they love to peak out the small holes in the top(what was the bottom)

NetBSD
10-18-2008, 01:51 PM
More recent finds to help save money.

Tilapia and Salmon 4 oz fillet $1 at local dollar store.

Dog bowl with openings on bottom doubles as hide $1 at dollar general. Use as water bowl for larger baby snakes, 6 - 20 months. Larger size available for bigger snakes.

small water dish - free on top of each yogurt that has sprinkles or other treats on top. Best for neonates (small babies) to about 6 months, then the snake will tip it over a lot.

We just saw a giant enclosure made from an old TV, tell us how you save money....

well if your talkin about my enclosure....

1984 floor model TV (25") ruffly 41 gallon: FREE

an old cream cheese container turnd upside down and fake plants from walmart ($1 each) put into little slices on the bottom of container, then fill with fish rocks to make the bottom heavy.

nice big branch found on a local road thats actually called "Snake road" (baked at 350-400F for 1 hour).

lenolium(SP?) tiles 12x12" $8 for a 30 pack at Ollies, makes for EASY cleanup.

for hides i like to look in walmart at the fish section, these fishtank decorations actually work well for my garter and ribbon so far.

for my ball python im still using an old fedex box with a side hole cut and a top hole.

thats all i can think of right now....

oh home depot has decent prices on plexiglas or lexan if you are building a wooden enclosure these work good for lids or i guess you could epoxy them together to make any size tank you want.

Stefan-A
10-18-2008, 01:59 PM
You can make hides out of practically anything. The vagrans male's favourite hide is a cardboard box an energy saving lamp came in and the N. mauras just prefer to hide underneath a piece of paper towel. They don't need anything fancy. A maple leaf would work just fine for both. Don't know how much fun is involved though, if you don't consider saving money "fun". Leaves and pieces of bark are free and easy to dispose of.

lenolium(SP?)
Linoleum.

NetBSD
10-18-2008, 02:08 PM
You can make hides out of practically anything. The vagrans male's favourite hide is a cardboard box an energy saving lamp came in and the N. mauras just prefer to hide underneath a piece of paper towel. They don't need anything fancy. A maple leaf would work just fine for both. Don't know how much fun is involved though, if you don't consider saving money "fun". Leaves and pieces of bark are free and easy to dispose of.

Linoleum.

thanks for the correction.

plastic conduit is also another good hide, i paid $1.50 for 10' when i only needed 3' for a project a while back, cut down some of it and shaved the sharp edges from cutting and its a good hide

crzy_kevo
10-18-2008, 04:01 PM
never thought of buying lexan to make an enclosure even a single piece of it and some old 2x4's and a couple old pieces of plywood can make a good enclosure as well

and most of you saw some of my home made hides but for those who havent here is a link http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/enclosures/3772-hide-idea.html
there are 2 different hides that i have made the last one being the adults favourite

guidofatherof5
10-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Just got back from Walmart. I went into their lawn and garden area. Everthing was on clearance. I picked up ceramic plant pot bases for $1 each. They also had a lot of other item that wouuld work well with our indevores. I did notice that my Plains were very skeptical of the new water dishes. They were bright red. Can Garters see color? I guess I never thought about it before. It took about 30 minutes for the tank leaders to give it the okay. Then everything was fine.

NetBSD
10-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Just got back from Walmart. I went into their lawn and garden area. Everthing was on clearance. I picked up ceramic plant pot bases for $1 each. They also had a lot of other item that wouuld work well with our indevores. I did notice that my Plains were very skeptical of the new water dishes. They were bright red. Can Garters see color? I guess I never thought about it before. It took about 30 minutes for the tank leaders to give it the okay. Then everything was fine.

thats a good question, i have no idea but i got lots of colour in my enclosure

Stefan-A
10-19-2008, 12:37 AM
Can Garters see color?
Good question. To my knowledge, some diurnal snakes do have red/green colour receptors.

Edit:

SpringerLink - Journal Article (http://www.springerlink.com/content/l2l0623574m713x0/)

It is concluded that the garter snake has only a single class of cone pigment. The results from a curve fitting analysis suggests that this pigment has peak absorbance at about 556 nm.I don't know much at all about vision, but green is 495–570 nm.

guidofatherof5
10-19-2008, 06:28 AM
Thanks Stefan, I went and found that article.

Lori P
10-19-2008, 06:42 AM
I'm currently looking for unique backgrounds... I'm tired of the fish tank ones. So I was at Big Lots the other day (it's like a salvage store) and I got a canvas transfer painting for $10-- propped it up behind the Puget's tank:

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/background_001.jpg

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/background_002.jpg

I love it! lol

Garter_Gertie
10-19-2008, 07:27 AM
And so does your snakey, Lori!

DANG IT, but you come up with the greatest ideas! Just keep on walking through the 'jungle' and you'll come to the town. LOOKS WONDERFUL!

prattypus
10-19-2008, 08:24 AM
Those are some well traveled snakes, Lori! I know a lot of folks that don't ever get to Italy!

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-19-2008, 07:33 PM
at the dollar store... I found a fantastic buy!!! they have these 4 foot long vines with LOTS of leaves... and the vine itself is made like the reptile vines you would see in pet stores... made to look like a regular vine, but flexible and bendy!! I cant beleive they are only a dollar.... and they are 4 feet long each and they dont even look like most of the really cheap fake leaves you normally would see! I am going back and stocking up...

NetBSD
10-19-2008, 07:55 PM
at the dollar store... I found a fantastic buy!!! they have these 4 foot long vines with LOTS of leaves... and the vine itself is made like the reptile vines you would see in pet stores... made to look like a regular vine, but flexible and bendy!! I cant beleive they are only a dollar.... and they are 4 feet long each and they dont even look like most of the really cheap fake leaves you normally would see! I am going back and stocking up...

wish i knew, i just got a fake one at walmart last week that 4' for $5. hopefully the dollar store around here has some, i wanna build a top for my TV cage i built to house a few snakes, might even end up being a sorta "rack"

infernalis
10-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Uh Oh - Thats how it starts...........:eek::D

NetBSD
10-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Uh Oh - Thats how it starts...........:eek::D

indeed, i know now why i havent had a snake for years. its addictive :D. ive had a garter for 2 weeks and already have a Ribbon and a Ball Python i got from the hamburg show, and thurrs another show Dec. 6th so you know ill be getting atleast one more

Garter_Gertie
10-20-2008, 05:52 AM
Lettuce see...

I was going to get a milk snake for using at the park. Didn't care for milks so got one Hoggy which turned into TWO Hoggies when I saw the green one.

While looking for a milk, decided I could have my own garters here at home to love like Winnie at the park and got two garters...

Then three Pugets...

During all this got one 90 gal/stand used which will become my male garter tank; one 10 g tank, new; one 29 g reptile tank, new; and two 10 g tanks/stands.

And finally found the milk I'd originially been looking for...

All since May of this year.

What do you mean "addictive?"

infernalis
10-20-2008, 06:29 AM
Well look at it this way, no one ever got a DWI or a urine test for having Garter Snakes:D

So if we have to be addicted (human nature) then I say here is one addiction that we need more of.

However Self control is important, There can come a point where upkeep exceeds income:eek:

OK lets see, I got a free fish tank, good - I caught a free snake, yes - I have free food, now were talking... all is fine and well.

Uh Oh squiggles needs to see the vet:eek:

Now there's a couple hundred bucks we never thought we would need....

reptile3
10-20-2008, 07:38 AM
We have snakes in the living room, dining room, spare room and 3 in my bedroom.

I have the garters in the dinningroom next to the fish tank, & the other's are in the bonusroom(above garage), where we spend most of our time in. TV, games, computers...

reptile3
10-20-2008, 07:40 AM
Uh Oh squiggles needs to see the vet:eek:

Now there's a couple hundred bucks we never thought we would need....

What is wrong with squiggles??:(

infernalis
10-20-2008, 08:17 AM
Stephanie, I was speaking in hypothetical terms.

We have seen so many kind hearted folks who have nothing but the best of intentions wind up in a situation where a snake died because funds were not available to go to the vet.

Even the poorest of the poor can have a pet, happens every day.

I know it takes a lot of self control, but saving some cash under your matress may be a wise idea.

Lori P
10-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Hehe. Now we know where to look when we meet at Wayne's next year..... :D:D

infernalis
10-20-2008, 09:04 AM
That's the bed I will be sleeping in.

Also beware of my guard mice.

reptile3
10-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Stephanie, I was speaking in hypothetical terms.

We have seen so many kind hearted folks who have nothing but the best of intentions wind up in a situation where a snake died because funds were not available to go to the vet.

Even the poorest of the poor can have a pet, happens every day.

I know it takes a lot of self control, but saving some cash under your mattress may be a wise idea.

Ohh I get it.. ok, i wasn't fully awake this morning.:o

reptile3
10-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Hehe. Now we know where to look when we meet at Wayne's next year..... :D:D

That's the bed I will be sleeping in.

Also beware of my guard mice.

You won't be sleeping in that bed allday....:p Lori, when he isn't looking, we go make a run to the bedroom & look under the mattress!!! :D:D:D

infernalis
10-20-2008, 12:22 PM
You still have to get past the guard mice:D

Ok Danielson, go get 'em.!

http://www.reformedsniper.net/sn/battlemouse.gif
I Learned from Chuck Norris,
Don't make me go all Walker
Texas Ranger on ya:eek:

guidofatherof5
02-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Last night my kids had just finished off the mint chip ice cream. I was about to toss out the container when I realized this was no ordinary ice cream container. It's plastic with a great snap-on lid. It's large and could hold a lot of night crawlers. Just though I'd pass on the idea. Just make sure everyone in the house knows it contains worms and shouldn't be placed in the freezer. Maybe a label would be a great idea.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/worm_container.jpg

Snake lover 3-25
02-14-2009, 09:45 AM
well that'll work!!!:D

anji1971
02-14-2009, 09:48 AM
I have several of the larger plastic ice cream tubs already in use! I get the bulk size 4 litre buckets of the stuff in the summer, and save them for nightcrawler storage, temporary housing for Toadie when I clean out his viv, broken glass containers, etc.....

Stefan-A
02-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Last night my kids had just finished off the mint chip ice cream. I was about to toss out the container when I realized this was no ordinary ice cream container. It's plastic with a great snap-on lid. It's large and could hold a lot of night crawlers. Just though I'd pass on the idea. Just make sure everyone in the house knows it contains worms and shouldn't be placed in the freezer. Maybe a label would be a great idea.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/worm_container.jpg
In my experience, air tight containers usually end up holding a lot of very dead worms, so I wouldn't keep them in it for very long.

drache
02-14-2009, 11:08 AM
I've got a leather hole punch that works really well on that kind of plastic, and it gives me hole size options - a truly useful tool

infernalis
02-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Poke small vent holes in the lid, and some around the tub itself.

Yeah, What Rhea just said as I was typing...

guidofatherof5
02-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Good point to bring up, Stefan. For me worms don't last very long so it's never been an issue.
Vents are a good thing!

infernalis
02-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Anyone know who carries large bags of cypress mulch?

We went looking yesterday, and Home Depot, does not. Wal Mart Does not....

Anyone check Lowe's or true value yet?

The guy at home depot was cool, as soon as he tried to sell me cedar mulch, I said it was bad for snakes, he had to ask me what we had.

Samantha was with me, she just started spewing off all the different animals we keep.

Then I looked at bags of sphagnum moss, everything they carried has fertilizer mixed in, so I passed on it.

guidofatherof5
02-15-2009, 09:00 AM
For those of us who buy worms from Walmart or a bait shop, remember. After they are gone don't throw the dirt away. If you have pants in the house dump it there. It is great organice fertilizer, rich in worm castings(poop). It really perked-up a few of my plants. Great way to recycle.

olive oil
02-15-2009, 09:05 AM
For those of us who buy worms from Walmart or a bait shop, remember. After they are gone don't throw the dirt away. If you have pants in the house dump it there. It is great organice fertilizer, rich in worm castings(poop). It really perked-up a few of my plants. Great way to recycle.

Great idea, can't believe I never thought of that.

drache
02-15-2009, 09:52 AM
yeah - it's great stuff for the plants
and for those of you who have fresh-water aquariums - those water changes ought to benefit your plants also

Lori P
02-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Oh wow Rhea, I never thought of the fish water!! Great idea. :-)

infernalis
02-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Oh darn, and all this time I was using it to make coffee:eek:

guidofatherof5
02-15-2009, 10:35 AM
I always knew there was something fishy about you :D

infernalis
02-15-2009, 11:55 AM
You learn quickly Steve:D

guidofatherof5
02-15-2009, 12:14 PM
So, have I grasped the pebbles from your hand yet, master.
Aging myself with that one.

infernalis
02-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Hey I just found this out today....

Wal Mart has covers that fit 10 gallon tanks for $7

AND they are self locking!

The box was tucked up under the fish food.

So you can now purchase a 10 gallon tank, a cover, a sack of carefresh & a hide for under 30 bucks at Wal Mart.

Instant setup for a small reptile, Cheap!

drache
02-18-2009, 04:50 AM
hm - still don't think we have a walmart accessible by subway

I just scored three large tubs for $20 through my neighborhood list serve
I'd looked them up and the two smaller (32G) ones go for $35 each new

Jeff doesn't know this yet, and I still have to figure out the lighting, but one of them already has a future inhabitant (as soon as I figure out the details)
it's a russian tortoise without feet and a lot of old damage to the carapace - fungal probably - Sean thinks that's how he lost his feet too

infernalis
02-18-2009, 08:19 AM
hm - still don't think we have a walmart accessible by subway

I just scored three large tubs for $20 through my neighborhood list serve
I'd looked them up and the two smaller (32G) ones go for $35 each new

Jeff doesn't know this yet, and I still have to figure out the lighting, but one of them already has a future inhabitant (as soon as I figure out the details)
it's a russian tortoise without feet and a lot of old damage to the carapace - fungal probably - Sean thinks that's how he lost his feet too

Rhea, That Russian tortoise sounds like it's been through hell.

Glad that it's YOU taking this on, its in good hands now. Pamper it and do what you can to make the rest of it's life the best possible, as I trust you will.

How anyone could allow a condition like that to progress so far escapes me.:confused::(

drache
02-18-2009, 08:23 AM
How anyone could allow a condition like that to progress so far escapes me.:confused::(
one word - ignorance

Lori P
02-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Omg Rhea... I'm SO glad you're taking that tortoise!!! Please keep us posted on him...

jitami
02-18-2009, 02:30 PM
one word - ignorance

another word - neglect

guidofatherof5
02-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Been saving these containers for this spring, when the kids and I are out herping.
Nice container with a flip lid. Not airtight so no need to poke holes in it.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/container.jpg

crzy_kevo
02-18-2009, 03:59 PM
i have never even scene that stuff must be something still only available in the US

olive oil
02-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Been saving these containers for this spring, when the kids and I are out herping.
Nice container with a flip lid. Not airtight so no need to poke holes in it.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/container.jpg

Funny, I've been stocking up on the containers our melon comes in from school. They asked me what are you going to do with those...I said they are for Ethan to put stuff in this spring:)

jitami
02-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Those are cool containers. I'm going to have to look for them.

sschind
02-19-2009, 07:20 AM

If I dumped worm dirt in my PANTS I might get a thrill out of it (especially if I left a few worms in it) but I think my wife would have a fit.:)

sschind
02-19-2009, 07:30 AM
Hey I just found this out today....

Wal Mart has covers that fit 10 gallon tanks for $7

AND they are self locking!

The box was tucked up under the fish food.

So you can now purchase a 10 gallon tank, a cover, a sack of carefresh & a hide for under 30 bucks at Wal Mart.

Instant setup for a small reptile, Cheap!

Are these lids the plastic rim ones with the clips on one side and the adjustable pegs on the other. If so, watch out, they do not fit snuggly on all brands of tanks and small snakes can escape easily.

You could always get a tank, lid, bedding an a hide at my store for $30.00.

infernalis
02-19-2009, 07:51 AM
If I dumped worm dirt in my PANTS I might get a thrill out of it (especially if I left a few worms in it) but I think my wife would have a fit.:)

Yep, you fit right in with this lot:D

Are these lids the plastic rim ones with the clips on one side and the adjustable pegs on the other. If so, watch out, they do not fit snuggly on all brands of tanks and small snakes can escape easily.

You could always get a tank, lid, bedding an a hide at my store for $30.00.

If I lived closer, I would do just that.

keelerskiddiecare
03-15-2009, 11:13 AM
These are great Ideas!!

Sssssnakey
05-23-2009, 12:52 PM
All my vivs are custom made from melamine, 4ft wide, built in stacks of three. Under floor heated, thermostatically controlled, slate floors, toughened glass sliding doors (with dressed edges and finger grip handles ground in). Realistic looking plants, adjustable plastic vents in the rear, etc.

Those look fabulous! Did you make them or buy them?

guidofatherof5
04-07-2010, 11:43 AM
When it comes to hides, I've used a number of different thing. Cardboard boxes seem to work very well and my snakes choose them over store bought items. The drawback is they get dirty and can't be reused. I also like natural hides(bark,wood,leaves) they are great but get dirty and are a pain to clean and dry.
While I was in the Meat Dept. at our local Sam's Club I noticed the Styrofoam trays they put their meat products in. They are shallow and easy to work with. They can be clean and reused. They also hold heat better than any other hides and they are black in color which makes it nice and dark inside the hide. I asked the worker if I could have a few of each size. Once I got them home I found them to fit perfectly in the aquariums. Putting doors in them was a breeze. My snakes didn't hesitate to use them. In the past, new items have to checked out before they are accepted. That didn't happen with these hides. So far I would say they are a hit. The dirty ones are replaced with a clean one and the dishwasher takes care of the cleaning.
I give them 5 stars.:D
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/meat_tray.jpghttp://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/meat_tray1.jpg

Holly
04-07-2010, 11:59 AM
My guy likes paper egg crates and a tissue box upside down with the corners cut out.

ConcinusMan
04-07-2010, 01:57 PM

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/../thamphotos/data//537/medium/Viv_Complete.jpg

Damn that's a sweet setup. They could stand to be decorated better with perhaps reptibark/coconut fiber substrate as well but sweet enclosures! Bottom one is looking pretty good. Are these bottom heat only or can you use a basking bulb too? Garters love to bask and get warmth from above.

Anyway, there is very few items I would use from outside. Dirt and leaves isn't one of them. That's just downright dumb IMHO. I sure as heck am not trying to grow a lawn in there. If any live plants go in, they're in pots and can be removed so the substrate can be replaced.

Stefan-A
04-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Damn that's a sweet setup. They could stand to be decorated better with perhaps reptibark/coconut fiber substrate as well but sweet enclosures! Bottom one is looking pretty good. Are these bottom heat only or can you use a basking bulb too? Garters love to bask and get warmth from above.
I don't think you'll be getting an answer from him anytime soon, but IIRC, they're bottom heat only. There should be a thread about the making of those enclosures in the Enclosures section.

edit:
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526

ConcinusMan
04-07-2010, 04:07 PM
oh yeah, I see now he's a mod but hasn't posted since Oct '09. What did he die or something? Nevermind. Not my business. Thanks for the link.

infernalis
04-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Wow, this thread is still active. Sweet!

Tyrel26
04-23-2010, 01:44 PM
well im sure everyone knows this but i feel i should mention it just for those new people out there. I never feed my snakes worms from a bait store BUT...my bro bought some once and he fed them to his garter and it died (he didnt realize why) so he had a bunch left over ...and i didnt know they were from a bait store so he gave the leftover worms to me (25-30 fat nightcrawlers are hard to pass up) and of course like a moron i fed them to one of my garters before i found out and the next day my garter had died :( A lot of bait stores have worms that were fed trash and compost that can contain chemicals and bacteria and such

so just be careful guys, bait store worms are cheap but its better to have dirty fingernails and a healthy snake than to save a few pennies and a dead snake

infernalis
04-23-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm a big believer of getting them on pinks fast and keeping them on pinks / fuzzy mice after that.

Complete nutrition, safe and if you buy enough at once economical as well.

Tyrel26
04-23-2010, 01:55 PM
i try to give mine a bit of everything...from frogs, toads and tadpoles (DONT JUDGE ME!!!!! lol) to pinks, fish and worms

infernalis
04-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Not judging you at all, but were you aware of the parasite loads those amphibians carry??

I have way too much money and time invested to take risks like that.

Tyrel26
04-23-2010, 04:47 PM
yes i am aware, i studied fish and wildlife at college; parasite studies was a major part of it. I do agree with you though, and I only use amphibians on the wc garters for the first while because I find the garters far more willing to take those than fish or mice, usually only takes a week or 2 to get them to switch. With what i pay for mice ($3.50/pinkie) i dont like thawing them and letting them go to waste because i dont refreeze them. (and no I dont order my mice wholesale but I would really appreciate some info on a good place to do so) But if I have to choose I'll feed my snakes amphibians before I give them worms from a bait store unless I know the worms are fed natural food only.

ConcinusMan
04-24-2010, 04:37 AM
I fed my last concinnus pair using wild caught frogs, fish, worms, etc...found in there natural habitat and occasionally live goldfish or salmon fillet pieces. If they had parasites, there was balance and harmony for a 20 year lifespan so I was blissfully unaware. They were "good wild dogs" and were fed like wild "dogs". They thrived like dogs, they bred like dogs. Hardy wild dogs.

I'm not saying I am continuing that practice, just saying parasites don't always cause harm. It's easy enough to get concinnus to eat pinkies and that's what I'll be doing in addition to f/t silversides this time around.

infernalis
04-24-2010, 07:17 AM
A thread I started a long time ago.

Parasites and pathogens (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3529&highlight=parasites)

keelerskiddiecare
04-24-2010, 11:21 AM
@Tyrel26 not sure what part of Canada you are in but I regularly order from http://www.canadianmouseman.com/eng/products.htm, Tyrone has great stock, great public relations and I have never had a problem with the mice I get from him. Prices are great too!!

I keep some in Ziploc bags in the freezer for a couple of months before they start to freezer burn. The rest that I order I use my Food Saver and vacuum pack into bags of 5 each and then they get used before they can freezer burn. Once vacuum packed you can keep them in the freezer for about 2 yrs.

He ships via bus usually, and they are packaged to keep frozen, I have never had any thaw on me yet and I just received an order the other day when it was 22 degrees here. I am in Saskatchewan.

Hope this helps.

Tyrel26
04-24-2010, 05:40 PM
very cool, thanks for the info. Im in Nova Scotia atm, just moved here so i need a new mouse supply :)

infernalis
04-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Awesome information, I will make note of that for my Canadian friends, Thanks!

Natrix
03-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Just finished home made viv. Made from recycled HI-FI cabinet. From This4496 To This.............449744984499 What do you think? Needs more plants and possibly a light guard. Only thing missing is the new occupant. Cost.......... around £25 :)

guidofatherof5
03-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Looks great.
So you converted it from a hinged door to a slider?

Natrix
03-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Yes, Steve, I took the original door off. Added a thresh hold and door runners. Got the Glass cut at the glaziers. Replaced the back panel with 1/4" Peg board which gives excellent ventilation. Added the 'Red' heat lamp ( because this is for an Albino T Marcianus). I have another 'Twin' viv in the process of conversion. Will post when it is finished These will be back-up/Qurantine Vivs for when I build the new system like Sjoerd Van Veens. ;)

EasternGirl
03-26-2012, 11:33 AM
I think it looks awesome! Great work Rod.

mikem
03-26-2012, 02:34 PM
very good work, rod! really like it and i bet the new occupant will too :cool:

katach
03-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Very cool!

Natrix
03-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Thankyou! For the comments Guys!;)

Selkielass
03-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Great recycling!