PDA

View Full Version : flower pot hides

drache
06-30-2008, 04:05 AM
so I discovered something new
most of my critters like flower pot hides, but it's always bothered me that they're kind of tall and while the frogs like it, the snakes seem to prefer flatter things
so I was stoked when I saw the azalea pot at the nursery
I'd never seen one and I could have missed it, because they had only one (I only ever look at the cheap clay pots with the hole in the middle of the bottom)
the one they had was cracked, so they gave it to me and promised to order more
that was a few weeks ago and I finally decided to go on the internet
googling is an art - you have to know exactly what you're asking for and how, because the people that sell the cheap flowerpots don't know enough about search engine optimization
but I found something even flatter - bulb pans
look, look - I think the garters will love these
ClayPots (http://www.planterdesigns.com/claypots.htm)
but a $350.- minimum??? I'll have to shop around some more

Sid
06-30-2008, 04:20 AM
Those do work great, Rhea. I have found them in plastic at Walmart. I cut an opening with a jagged pattern to make it look like a broken clay pot.

drache
06-30-2008, 04:36 AM
yeah - the shape is great
are the plastic ones heavy enough not to move around too easily?
I do like the clay and I did find a site where one can get just a few if need be, but I'm going to call around first - maybe I can get them in Brooklyn

Sputnik
06-30-2008, 04:43 AM
I have one for my baby garters and they really do look nice. I bought the clay pot at a local garden centre, but sadly that's no use to you of course, Rhea.

anji1971
06-30-2008, 06:12 AM
Rhea, if you look in all the right places, you should be able to find those bulb pots in a garden center somewhere.
The biggest problem with small items online is that darned 'minimum order'........

BTW, it does seem like a neat idea. Probably gives a nice look to the tank.:)

Snake lover 3-25
06-30-2008, 10:02 AM
i got a bunch of tiny ones for sooty's babies!!!:eek:

Steven@HumboldtHerps
07-08-2008, 01:24 AM
I liked the clay pot idea and tried it a while ago (I am an avid gardener); the snakes loved it, but the problem I encountered was that it became very difficult to clean off fecal matter that had absorbed into the micro-porous clay. I switched to plastic or manufactured molds because they were easier to clean.

For anyone who keeps amphibians, plastics should be avoided whenever possible - for me it's glass bowls, ornamental REAL wood, stone, sand, soil, and moss!

Steven

drache
07-08-2008, 04:00 AM
yeah - it takes a bit of scrubbing sometimes
I just let them soak in diluted chlorhexedine every so often
the commercial molded hides aren't any easier to clean in my opinion

KITKAT
07-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Try glazed pots.;)