PDA

View Full Version : Really bizarre habitat problem

finaldecember
07-29-2008, 11:49 PM
This happened late last night and I just now had a chance to post. When I went to check on Maja and make sure the temp in her habitat was alright before I went to bed, I noticed the "soil" (it's that coconut bark stuff that comes in compressed bricks) looked a little funny. I looked closer and guess what it was? ANTS. :eek:

Somehow, ants had gotten into the habitat and were starting to make a nest in one corner. I'm pretty sure this wasn't the best idea, but I decided to immediately change the "soil" so I could get rid of the ants that were already there. Before I put the new stuff in, I sprayed some orange oil on the outside of the tank and around the general area, since that's the most natural ant repellant/killer I know of.

As far as I can tell, it's the "soil" that they were attracted to, but I'm not sure what else I could use for Maja's habitat. Any suggestions? I know I can't use cedar and cypress seems to be absolutely non-existant around here (believe me, I've looked). What I'm thinking of doing is maybe using the same kind of fluffy stuff that I use in Nikita, Lucy, and Sadie's cages, then getting a slightly larger water dish (if I do in fact need to keep a water dish in there).

GartersRock
07-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Interesting. lol!

I personally use paper towels. With so many snakes it came to a point where cleanliness and ease of cleaning where more important then looks.
But having only one snake... Some of the other members may be able to recommend something?

zooplan
07-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Whats about care fresh?
I donīt like it because it looks so much like in a laboratory but it should be another option.
Maybe youīve solved your problem yet and donīt need a change.

rwgsnakes
07-30-2008, 12:01 AM
i use regular top soil, $1.49 for a 40lb bag. It allows you to grow live plants in your habitats. Although, first i cook the dirt because i have encountered bugs coming out of the dirt, as long as you dont mind the smell of cooked dirt its great.

finaldecember
07-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Whats about care fresh?
I donīt like it because it looks so much like in a laboratory but it should be another option.
Maybe youīve solved your problem yet and donīt need a change.

Care Fresh is the stuff I use for my hamsters. Well, different brand from what I use, but same stuff basically. I might try that next time I clean her habitat and just see how she handles it. Maja likes to dig around and hide.

finaldecember
07-30-2008, 12:05 AM
i use regular top soil, $1.49 for a 40lb bag. It allows you to grow live plants in your habitats. Although, first i cook the dirt because i have encountered bugs coming out of the dirt, as long as you dont mind the smell of cooked dirt its great.

I used to have a dirt scented candle, so that would be no problem for me! But .... how do you cook dirt? I didn't even know you could do that.

Stefan-A
07-30-2008, 12:09 AM
It's easy when you have a sauna. ;)

rwgsnakes
07-30-2008, 12:15 AM
my mom wouldnt let me use her pans so i bought myself a 13'' X 9" X 1" panhttp://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g168/ribbonsnakeyy/922BP913_lg.jpg (mines glass)

just put in some top soil, dont fill it all the way...i cook it at 350 for 15 mins, every 5 mins taking it out to mix it around...then just let cool until its room temp. and start creating a sick inclosure.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g168/ribbonsnakeyy/tanks%20and%20decor/CalvinsTank.jpg

hope this helps,
Justin

finaldecember
07-30-2008, 12:29 AM
I am so trying that when I can get a bit of money together. Well, the dirt part anyway. If I used live plants, I'd probably kill them since I have no idea how I would take care of them in an environment like that. But thanks for the pic. Gives me an idea of what I should probably change around. Maja's habitat kind of looks like that, but backwards. :x

infernalis
07-30-2008, 05:53 AM
If you bake it, dirt can be free, just take a shovel and bucket out into the country, and DIG:D

Shaved Aspen is pretty cheap too, sold at pet stores and attractive also.

good luck.:)

anji1971
07-30-2008, 06:29 AM
I've been using Carefresh for a while now. It's not my favourite, aesthetically speaking, but it definitely works wonders for odour control, and the snakes love to burrow in it.
It's also safe if they accidentally ingest it.

zooplan
07-30-2008, 10:21 AM
It's easy when you have a sauna. ;)
do you use your sauna for that?:D

Stefan-A
07-30-2008, 10:29 AM
do you use your sauna for that?:D
Among other things. :D

I have three apple tree branches that I need to treat. My parents' apple tree snapped in half the other day. Too many apples, couldn't handle the weight. So there's plenty of climbing tree material available right now. :D

adamanteus
07-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Are Apple tree branches interesting and 'twisty', Stefan? I favour either tree roots or Hawthorn branches because of the contorted shapes they produce.

Stefan-A
07-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Compared to most other trees, yeah, but they're nothing compared to roots. These branches have pretty rough bark and are pretty thick. I'm going to hang them horisontally in the enclosures, so it doesn't really matter that much.

aSnakeLovinBabe
07-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Aspen shavings for just about every snake I own
and I can't be happier that way!

I hate finely ground substrates like the coconut bark for just one reason...

The snake goes for a swim. The snake decides he is done swimming. He gets a ton of dirt stuck to himself and realizes he wants to swim again! Suddenly the water bowl is very dirty :p

aSnakeLovinBabe
07-30-2008, 04:48 PM
oh but i must add that snakes simply LOVE carefresh. I used to use it for my cali king, Bandit. He would make himself little tunnels and they would stay there because of the nature of that bedding. I stopped using it a while ago because its expensive, I recently brought some home to a much bigger and older bandit... and his gluttony took over and He started picking up pieces and trying to eat them!! no!!! bad kingsnake!!! So bandit is back on aspen...

Lori P
07-30-2008, 05:02 PM
I noticed that with the Care Fresh-- that the tunnels stay put. Seems to make happy snakies!!! :-)

jitami
07-30-2008, 05:05 PM
So if the tunnels stay put, are the snakes laying on the glass bottom of the terrarium, or do you put something under the carefresh, or ???

Lori P
07-30-2008, 05:07 PM
I make the Care Fresh pretty deep-- probably 5 to 6 inches-- so they can tunnel thru the middle as well as go all the way to the bottom. So yes, they can reach right to the glass bottom if they go that deep.

Garter_Gertie
07-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Even w/o Care Fresh, Tami, P & J - well at least P, is most usually found on the glass under everthing.

Lori, usually 9 outta ten times, under the BIRDHOUSE! :D

jitami
07-30-2008, 05:11 PM
sounds like fun... hmmmm... I've always been put off by the looks... and yet have been using mostly paper towel for 6 years :rolleyes: Just figured if I was going to change it would be to something more attractive, but never find anything "just right". Think I'm going to have to try carefresh, tho :)

Garter_Gertie
07-30-2008, 05:14 PM
I keep thinking about it, Care Fresh, but... I really still want to keep trying the 'natural' look, but changing the recipe o'my substrate. I REALLY like the larger kind'a chips.

We'll see. How lazy I become down the road. :D

crzy_kevo
07-30-2008, 05:15 PM
carefresh is also so good for when they poop cuz it cling to the poop like kitty litter somehow so you can just lift it off

jitami
Even w/o Care Fresh, Tami, P & J - well at least P, is most usually found on the glass under everthing.

Lori, usually 9 outta ten times, under the BIRDHOUSE! :D

I just have this vision of Sly burrowing under everything, pooping, then laying there in it... he does get under the paper towel occasionally, but I usually fix that asap because of the aforementioned worry. When I used that gorilla bark stuff I wouldn't see him for days, but I'm guessing you can tell their whereabouts in the carefresh even when they're burrowed?

adamanteus
As some of you may know, I use solid slate floors in all my Garter vivs.... so no opportunity for burrowing. I've always been happy with this, and my snakes are thriving, but you've got me feeling guilty now! Maybe I'll try another substrate for a while, just to remind myself of all the down-sides!:D

crzy_kevo
07-30-2008, 05:17 PM
As some of you may know, I use solid slate floors in all my Garter vivs.... so no opportunity for burrowing. I've always been happy with this, and my snakes are thriving, but you've got me feeling guilty now! Maybe I'll try another substrate for a while, just to remind myself of all the down-sides!:D

lol james all the downsides what about the joy your snakes get from burrowing is that a downside

@tami
well it depends how big your snake is if its a big female then you shopuld be able to tell but when george uesed to burrow i would have to stick my hand all under the carefresh to make sure she was still there

adamanteus
07-30-2008, 05:19 PM
lol james all the downsides what about the joy your snakes get from burrowing is that a downside

That's why you're making me feel guilty!:D

jitami
07-30-2008, 05:20 PM
LOL James... good idea :)

Kev, I really like the idea of just being able to "scoop poop" instead of having to change out sheets of paper towels, which are inevitably half under a heavy rock... and Sly does seem to prefer burrowing when given the opportunity... hmmmm.... what do you say James, Carefresh for a bit?

Nope, really good sized male, but not a large female... little wheels in my brain still turning...

crzy_kevo
07-30-2008, 05:21 PM
its not so much scooping as it is picking up a smal piece of carefresh also it cuts out the smell by well over 50% so if you have a lot of snakes it will definately help the smell

adamanteus
07-30-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm considering it, Tami... just for the sake of experimentation!

jitami
07-30-2008, 05:22 PM
I've heard about issues with smell before, but we really don't have much smell. The only time I smell anything is when I literally stick my head in the tank. But, then again, I have only one snake :) For now :)

crzy_kevo
07-30-2008, 05:23 PM
ya so the smell wouldn't be too bad but im bettiong my 30 gal with 3 snakes in it smells about the same as your tank with one snake in it

adamanteus
Using slate, I have zero smell issues.... wipe it up, it's gone.

jitami
I'm considering it, Tami... just for the sake of experimentation!

Ah, but James, don't you have doors that open in the front? Wouldn't be able to have it very thick... unless you sectioned an area off or something?

Lori P
07-30-2008, 05:24 PM
I just have this vision of Sly burrowing under everything, pooping, then laying there in it... he does get under the paper towel occasionally, but I usually fix that asap because of the aforementioned worry. When I used that gorilla bark stuff I wouldn't see him for days, but I'm guessing you can tell their whereabouts in the carefresh even when they're burrowed?

Yes, it's not so deep that you can't find them easily. And you know... it seems to me that they poop mostly on top... when I clean out the clumps of poop, I usually fluff up the bedding, and don't seem to find poops at the bottom... in any case, the Care Fresh sticks to it and dries it out quickly so they aren't lying in, like, gooey poops.

adamanteus
07-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Ah, but James, don't you have doors that open in the front? Wouldn't be able to have it very thick... unless you sectioned an area off or something?

I have a small (2") upstand below the sliding doors, so I remain flexible!:D

jitami
07-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks Lori :) That eases my mind... but I'll probably still put paper towel under everything... lol

Garter_Gertie
07-30-2008, 06:04 PM
P & J don't stink. Even when they, well.. HE, Peepers, tries to musk. And like, was it Kevie? That said, the poop seems to always be on the top? That's what I've found heretofore. But Ripley ( 6' bull snake), he tends to always poop in a corner of the tank...

P & J don't, nor does Winnie. They seem to go 'on the run.' And so far ittiz wee little turdlettes that are easy to pick up with my fingers.

We'll see what happens in the coming years...

anji1971
07-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Tami, I use paper towel under the carefresh. That way, I don't worry so much if they burrow right to the glass, especially where the heating pad is. And it absorbs any mess they do happen to make down there. But Lori's right, they usually go on top. And it is easy to scoop the poop! And a remarkable difference in odour, too.
Now if only they could make it look more like bark chips..............

jitami
07-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks Anji & All :) Now if it looked like bark chips I'd already be at the store :)

anji1971
07-30-2008, 06:47 PM
You know what though?
If you put enough branches, hides and plants, it really doesn't seem quite so unattractive, once you get used to it.;)

finaldecember
07-31-2008, 01:44 AM
I recently brought some home to a much bigger and older bandit... and his gluttony took over and He started picking up pieces and trying to eat them!! no!!! bad kingsnake!!! So bandit is back on aspen...

:eek: I don't think I've ever heard of a snake deliberately trying to eat their bedding before. Were you able to get them out of his mouth before he actually swallowed anything?

Stefan-A
07-31-2008, 01:48 AM
:eek: I don't think I've ever heard of a snake deliberately trying to eat their bedding before. Were you able to get them out of his mouth before he actually swallowed anything?
One of mine did it once.

drache
07-31-2008, 05:07 AM
this thread seems to have drifted
I'm currently using six different kinds of bedding
I like the carefresh for burrowing snakes that like it dry and because it's expensive, I'm moving away from it for all but my hognose
the "other" hognose (lystrophis pulcher) gets a moss and dirt blend because the carefresh would be too drying
most of my other snakes are on cage carpet, newspaper, shredded paper, paper towels and I'm looking for slate, because I like the idea
I used to think of carefresh as un-natural looking until I realized that the hognose camouflages in it perfectly - the snakes do like it a lot and if I were wealthy . . .
it does seem to make a perfect habitat for mites though too and I provent-a-mite mine before putting it in the tank

zooplan
07-31-2008, 05:32 AM
So if the tunnels stay put, are the snakes laying on the glass bottom of the terrarium, or do you put something under the carefresh, or ???
What is the meaning when you tell Care fresh is expensive?
I canīt use it because Iīve never seen it offeren in Germany.
I use wood chips, that are normally used for fumigating.
I have to pay about30$ for 40lb.

jitami
07-31-2008, 08:34 AM
Udo, Rhea was saying that the care fresh is expensive, meaning that compared to other types of bedding it costs her more money to use the care fresh.

zooplan
07-31-2008, 03:03 PM
Donīt know why Iīve quoted you, Tami:o
The question I meant was: What is the price of care fresh?
Should I better posts in German and use google for translation:rolleyes:?

jitami
07-31-2008, 03:08 PM
Your posts are fine Udo! I'm sure I have an easier time reading your posts than you do mine! I've never used the care fresh, but let me see if I can google some prices... looks like it's around 20 dollars for 60 liters.