PDA

View Full Version : Question on substrate

Topaz
11-15-2008, 08:07 PM
I have been using aspen for the garter since it's what I use for the BPs as well. When I would feed the garter, she'd drag the pinkie parts over the aspen, collecting unwanted pieces of aspen on the food. I became worried that she'd ingest some, so I decided to clean out the tank and put some reptile carpeting (what I use for the leopard gecko,) down. I haven't seen this used for any else's garters and was wondering if it's just not recommended for them. She's able to go under it and "play" around there, then comes out to bask and climb all over the branches and vines. At the same time, she doesn't seem to appreciate not being able to make tunnels like she did in the aspen.

ssssnakeluvr
11-15-2008, 09:43 PM
cage carpeting is fine for garters...I used to use it...but now have too many cages. I would buy it at Fred Meyer as outdoor carpeting for decks....lots cheaper than buying the precut pieces designed for cages...

infernalis
11-15-2008, 11:08 PM
I use cage carpet only in the tanks I need to.

Its great for my skittish feeders that wont eat out:D

Most of them eather eat from my hands or in a feed box.

Lori P
11-16-2008, 06:41 AM
I personally like for mine to be able to burrow and tunnel, as they seem to enjoy it so much, so I use Carefresh. It's a paper based substrate and it passes right thru should they ingest any, so it seems very safe. Might be another idea for you to try. :-)

Topaz
11-16-2008, 08:41 AM
I personally like for mine to be able to burrow and tunnel, as they seem to enjoy it so much, so I use Carefresh. It's a paper based substrate and it passes right thru should they ingest any, so it seems very safe. Might be another idea for you to try. :-)

Thanks! I use CareFresh for some of our mice, and didn't know it would pass through her system if she ate any. I"ll give that a try next time I clean out her tank. :D

Lori P
11-16-2008, 02:45 PM
I love the Carefresh for the rodents-- it really keeps the odor down!!