PDA

View Full Version : Garter home...

Sitting_duck
11-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Hi, this is going to be home to one garter snake. There are none in there yet, I still have to buy one.

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp98/vivarium_pictures/40gallongartersnaketank001.jpg

Snake lover 3-25
11-24-2008, 08:31 PM
very nice cage can't wait to see the little guy that gets the pleasure of living there:D

Sitting_duck
11-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Thank you =-)

For anyone wondering, the long vine and the spider plant were bought at walmart. They were $3 each. The vine is 3 times the length of pet store vines, and costs about 1/4th of the price. Look guys, never buy fake plants from pet stores. They add on $10 and call it a "reptile vine".

guidofatherof5
11-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Nice digs. What kind of substrate are you using?

Sitting_duck
11-24-2008, 09:17 PM
It's Aspen.

I have a question or two.... Alot of people talk about impaction. With leopard geckos I hear loads about impaction caused by sand. Now, do snakes actually eat bark and stuff when you have it as substrate? I much rather have used bark, it looks much better. Instead I used aspen just because I've heard better things about it.

Is bark really that bad? I've seen a few tanks with bark, and if its ok, I'd like to switch it with my aspen when I need a big cleaning.

reptile3
11-24-2008, 11:43 PM
It's Aspen.

I have a question or two.... Alot of people talk about impaction. With leopard geckos I hear loads about impaction caused by sand. Now, do snakes actually eat bark and stuff when you have it as substrate? I much rather have used bark, it looks much better. Instead I used aspen just because I've heard better things about it.

Is bark really that bad? I've seen a few tanks with bark, and if its ok, I'd like to switch it with my aspen when I need a big cleaning.

I use aspen in my ball pythons home, but only alittle. I also use newspaper, & papertowels. It makes clean up, alot easier. As for the bark, well I used that with my old ball python, she never had any issues. But it's a pain in the neck to clean. you will have to take all out, & put all new in.

With using newspaper, papertowels & some aspen, it makes clean up time, alot easier. IMO

Now for my garters/dekayis I use green reptile carpet, with papertowels & carefresh. I only put alittle.

GarterNovice
11-25-2008, 06:01 AM
That's a very nice looking home for a snake. I've been using aspen for our ribbon snake and he loves it. Really likes burrowing in it.

jitami
11-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Well done! Very nice set up :) As long as you remove them for feeding impaction shouldn't be an issue. If you're going to feed in the tank then you want to use something that will pass through their system just in case.

Sitting_duck
11-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Well done! Very nice set up :) As long as you remove them for feeding impaction shouldn't be an issue. If you're going to feed in the tank then you want to use something that will pass through their system just in case.

I was going to feed in the tank. For things like fish, it wouldn't matter right? Because they'd be in the water, no risk of impaction there...

Then for pinkies/worms I could put them on some sort of small plate?

Edit- I'm aware that some snakes may be to picky and won't want to eat out of the bowl,or off a plate, ect. And may need tong feeding.

gregmonsta
11-25-2008, 12:02 PM
The snakes may still drag the wet/slimy items over the Aspen ... I almost lost a garter due to this and hate Aspen with a vengeance (small and sharp too) ... I use repti-carpet or carefresh bedding. I definately don't recommend Aspen for small snakes.

jitami
11-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Even with fish they'll often drag them out of the bowl while eating them and with the fish being wet there's always a chance something will stick to them.

Sitting_duck
11-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Where is carefresh sold? I checked pet stores none of them have it around here. So I just bought aspen because I didn't know where else it would be sold. What is carefresh used for besides substrate for snakes n such? Is it used for horses or something?

drache
11-25-2008, 03:41 PM
carefresh is also used for small rodents and the like
it does come in a variety of colours too, but I like the basic recycled paper colour best

Sid
11-25-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm a little late replying to your post, Austin, but the setup looks great.

Sitting_duck
11-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks everyone =)..

I think next time I'll try to find carefresh.

reptile3
11-25-2008, 06:03 PM
The snakes may still drag the wet/slimy items over the Aspen ... I almost lost a garter due to this and hate Aspen with a vengeance (small and sharp too) ... I use repti-carpet or carefresh bedding. I definately don't recommend Aspen for small snakes.

that is true, I have seen my snakies drag their worms... then leave it. how nice of them!!:eek:

Sitting_duck
11-25-2008, 06:06 PM
lol xD. .

reptile3
11-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks everyone =)..

I think next time I'll try to find carefresh.

Carefresh....

Petsmart.com (http://www.petsmart.com/search/index.jsp?s=A-StorePrice-PET&sr=1&kw=carefresh&origkw=carefresh&kwCatId=&pg=1&searchSort=TRUE)

use the Carefresh ULTRA- White Pet Bedding & Carefresh pet bedding & Litter

Sitting_duck
11-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the link,

When I was at petco, I was looking for it in the reptile/amphibian section, I guess I should've been in the rodent section.

reptile3
11-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the link,

When I was at petco, I was looking for it in the reptile/amphibian section, I guess I should've been in the rodent section.

I forgot Petco... here ya go
Pet Bedding, Pet Litter & Substrate for Small Animals at PETCO (http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_ProductList_PC_productlist_Nav_234_N_26+100+ 30+296.aspx)

Sitting_duck
11-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks

How do you tell the difference between female and male guppies? Males are more slender right? And females have some sort of sac looking thing, making them look fatter.

infernalis
11-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Thanks

How do you tell the difference between female and male guppies? Males are more slender right? And females have some sort of sac looking thing, making them look fatter.

In a nutshell, that's about right.

Female guppies have a profound belly, they bear live babies so they need a big belly for the babies.

Sitting_duck
11-26-2008, 11:27 AM
I think I have a pregnant guppy. She has the darkish spot right behind her "budda belly". Do all females have that, or just the pregos?

jitami
11-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Sounds like she's preggers! Nice going! Can I ask where you found guppies? I still can't find them here!

Sitting_duck
11-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Just a local owned pet store, not any sort of chain store.

infernalis
11-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Sounds like she's preggers! Nice going! Can I ask where you found guppies? I still can't find them here!

Wal mart pet department has fancy ones. (Ours does)

jitami
11-26-2008, 06:06 PM
I've checked three or four Walmarts near here and they carry males only... I should probably look closer to see if there are any errant females in with the males, though.