PDA

View Full Version : surprise!

CrazyHedgehog
02-10-2007, 07:30 PM
ok, so trying to breed several subspecies of garters.....
also have lots of mice in the hope that they will breed...
putting both in 'ideal conditions'... doing everything right.....

.....nothing...

And the bloody leopard geckos in the living room have produced some fertile eggs......

On closer inspection, one of our two female geckos is most definately MALE!! I sometimes think that we try too hard....ignore them..(well feed and clean them) and they just get on with it them selves!

total surprise... we were given the geckos some months ago by a friend of my sons (well her parents.. ) young lad (her younger brother) couldn't look after them and was letting crickets loose everywhere which freaked his mum out...

We took them to our local pet shop (really helpful friendly guy) to check that they were ok...and to also get any advice on keeping...feeding etc...
he thought at the time that they were about 4 months old and both female (which confirmed what the mum had said)

After we found eggs I had another look...the bigger gecko has very defined pores in a V near his butt...the female has none..

woohoo....am all excited now... weeks to wait to see though...

Stefan-A
02-11-2007, 12:11 AM
Congratulations!

krystalirelan@southslope.
02-11-2007, 07:32 AM
Hey. We tried the mice thing for awhile also. Went ok for a year or so then i got rid of them as I had a freezer full of pinkies. When I tried it again my mice kept eating the babies!! After I got rid of everything again some one said the mice need to mature and to keep plugging away. So if that happens keep trying! LOL. Krystal

GarterGuy
02-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Hey congrats on the leopard geckos. The babies are sooo friggin' cute when they hatch. Used to breed them years ago, but lost my female to a nasty eye infection and now just have the male left......he's about 14yrs. old now.

Thamnophis
02-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Congrats with the babies

Snaky
02-12-2007, 02:33 AM
Hopefully the eggs will develop nicely:)

CrazyHedgehog
02-12-2007, 06:17 AM
i got rid of them as I had a freezer full of pinkies.

OK, have a few people who would buy from me..reptiles, owls etc...so surplus should not be a prob, plus I have got lots of extra tanks ready..so I should have enough to separate males females for a while if need be...

mice kept eating the babies!! -mice need to mature and to keep plugging away.

Ok, I will bear that in mind as mine are still quite young, thankyou...