PDA

View Full Version : Humidity

Stefan-A
02-18-2007, 02:11 AM
What humidity levels do you keep in your terrariums?

We recently had a fairly cold period here and that really messed up the humidity levels in my terrarium, forcing me to mist just to keep the relative humidity above 40%. That part is slowly getting under control, though, as I'm redesigning the ventilation in my terrarium. What pisses me off is how I didn't see this coming when I made the damn thing, and now one of my snakes just had a failed shed because of it.

GarterGuy
02-18-2007, 11:21 AM
I dont' really regulate the humidity in my tanks at all. It's pretty much what ever the reptile room is at. Right now, like you, the heat is really running and the relative humidity in the room is only 25%. My garters are on CareFresh, in tanks with screenlids and water bowls big enough for them to fit in and I haven't had any shedding problems with them at all. Sometimes I wonder if shedding issues has more to do with something else then just humidity?
Roy

Stefan-A
02-18-2007, 12:01 PM
I've heard others say that too, mostly about stress being the problem, but in this case I see a direct connection between the humidity and how well the shedding goes. I've had a couple of less than perfect sheds before, but they have always occurred during periods with especially low humidity. This time of year, really.

The terrarium is practically open at the top, so of course all the humidity given off by the water bowl would dissipate that way. I'm going to switch to a glass lid (goodbye, UVB) and make a few 95mm ventilation holes in the walls instead.

Cazador
02-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Hi Stefan,

Mine are at about 40-50% RH, but I don't normally have to do anything to regulate it. I just move my water dish around (under or over the heat source) if there's a problem. Before the snakes shed, I usually spray a little water into their enclosures and most of the time I make sure to change their water dish after their eyes clear. I've also read something about this that gave different humidity recommendations for different species. I'll try to find it.

Rick

Gyre
02-18-2007, 06:14 PM
How problomatic is a 'failed shed,' and what exactly is it? Also, how often does an average garter shed? I remember something closer to once monthly with the garters I had when I was little, but I think they were very young too..

In the short amount of time I've had my current garter, (since Nov. o6) she's shed once and it went very well, and I haven't closely regulated the humidity..

Thanks,
Hannah

Cazador
02-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi Hannah,

Stefan was saying that the shed skin came off in multiple pieces instead of in one, nice piece. Young snakes that are growing very quickly often shed monthly, but they shed less often (every 2-3 months) as juveniles and adults. Manipulating the humidity prior to a shed isn't necessary. It just gives a bit of added insurance that things will go smoothly.

Rick

Gyre
02-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Ok, Thanks. :)

Hannah

Stefan-A
02-18-2007, 11:38 PM
That's exactly what I meant, Rick. Thank you.

Cazador
02-19-2007, 02:11 AM
Stefan,

I found the source I was looking for about humidity. I don't know how the information was compiled or how reliable it is, but Phillip Purser gives recommendations for temperature ranges and relative humidities for six Thamnophis species and a few ribbon snakes in Garter and Ribbon Snake Care (2005). They're generally between 72 & 81F with basking spots around 85-88F. Relative humidities ranged from 55% to greater than 65%, which seems kind of high to me. Check your PMs for more details. If anyone else wants more details, send me a PM. Cheers,

Rick

Stefan-A
02-19-2007, 02:32 AM
Got your PM, thanks again. :)

abcat1993
02-23-2007, 09:36 PM
mine was around 20 - 25%; NOW it is usually low 50's at night, and mid 60's to low 70's during the day (the highest I've ever gotten it was 74%).

Cazador
02-24-2007, 03:38 PM
70% is a pretty high humidity. You might consider creating more airflow from above (using a screen top), if possible, or moving your water dish a bit further from your heat source. I'd recommend 40-60% RH for your T. sirtalis. It's not an exact thing, though.

Rick

Stefan-A
02-24-2007, 04:00 PM
I was away for three days this week and the humidity was down to 30% yesterday. Female's in the blue phase right now. Still misting to keep it at at least 40%, which in turn raises some concerns about scale rot. Once she's through shedding, it'll stop.

The terrarium modification project is slowly moving forward. All I need now is a 500x350mm piece of glass and 10 minutes with a drill. Ideally, I could finish it without removing the snakes from the terrarium, but it needs cleaning anyway.

adamanteus
02-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Here's a thought Stefan.... If I have to leave things alone for a few days and I have a snake in "blue", I leave a small plastic box (lunch-box or similar) in the vivarium, with an access hole cut in the lid and filled with damp sphagnum moss. I find the snakes use it in preference to other hides when sloughing is imminent.

James.

Stefan-A
02-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Already have a wetbox in there, but I haven't seen it use it. I have no idea where to place it in order to get it to use it - Warm end, cool end or anywhere in between.

It was hiding under the substrate when I got home. The humidity is higher there, so at least it's reacting in some way.

adamanteus
02-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Probably in the temperature range that the particular animal prefers? It's usual resting spot?

Stefan-A
02-24-2007, 04:15 PM
That's pretty much where it is now.

adamanteus
02-24-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs then!

drache
02-24-2007, 04:33 PM
my vet says snakes don't really care about specific temps in their damp boxes, as long as they're damp and within range.
I find I have to re-dampen at least once per week, since it's really dry here in winter.
As long as there is the damp box, specific humidity levels in the enclosures are also not that important, since the snake can self-regulate.

abcat1993
02-24-2007, 07:27 PM
70% is a pretty high humidity. You might consider creating more airflow from above (using a screen top), if possible, or moving your water dish a bit further from your heat source. I'd recommend 40-60% RH for your T. sirtalis. It's not an exact thing, though.

Rick

Don't worry, it's usually a lot lower in the cage. For example, right now the humidifier in my room says it's 70% RH, and the hygrometer in my tank says it's 60ish% RH (It's one of those ones with the dial, so it's not 100% accurate). Also, it's 7:30 here so it's been going all day with the door closed (I do it for my venus fly trap, anoles, and most importantly, me).

Thamnophis
02-24-2007, 08:32 PM
The humidity in my gartersnake-terrariums is low. One small part (a corner) is a litlle moist.
I do not spray water.