PDA

View Full Version : New UK member

adamanteus
02-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum today and wanted to say "Hello" to you all. So... Hello!

My name is James, I live near Manchester in the UK. I've kept reptiles of many types most of my life, Garters were always my favourite snakes. For the past few years I've been out of the hobby, but I just bought an adult pair of T.marcianus as my reintroduction, hopefully they'll breed for me.

I'm looking for other Thamnophis species, of course, and I've posted a thread in the classified section to see what comes back.

I'm looking forward to chatting to as many of you as possible.

hjelte
02-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Hi and welcome! This is a great forum with lots of experienced keepers. I´m fairly new in the hobby, having acquired my first garter last november.
Good luck with your marcianus!
Regards //Chris

Sid
02-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Hi James and welcome to the forum:) . I know you will like it here.

Which sub-species of marcianus do you have? Would love to see photos.

Sid

adamanteus
02-18-2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys. I have T. m. marcianus. I don't think the other two sub-species are available are they?

Stefan-A
02-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Welcome aboard, James.

Snaky
02-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Welcom to the forum and enjoy it :)

I don't think you'll be able to have any other marcianus species... It' s a mission impossible.

Gijs & Sabine
02-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Welcome from The Netherlands, James:)
Have a lot of read and postfun.

Cazador
02-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Hi James,

Congratulations on finding the forum. I'm sure you'll love it here. Be sure to have a look at the monthly photo contests as well. Kind regards,

Rick

adamanteus
02-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Once again, thank you all for the welcome. I'm really pleased that so many of you have taken the time to respond. I wish I had found this forum before!

Am I wrong in thinking there are three sub-species of T.marcianus? There is T.m. marcianus, T.m. praeocularis and T.m. bovallii, am I correct, or is Thamnophis bovallii now seen as a a distinct species? Anybody sure on this?

Cazador
02-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Hi James,

The 31st species of garter snake was described in 2000, but it was just officially recognized last year (2006). You can find a complete listing for the 31 species here (Species Guide - gartersnake.info (http://www.gartersnake.info/species/)). Though it's not an "official" website, the listing is current and accurate. Thamnophis marcianus bovallii remains a subspecies... found in Nicaragua. I noticed that we have 32 listed on our caresheets page (http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Main_Page), but T.s. tetrataenia is included (and properly designated as a subspecies) because of its "special" status. Let us know if you'd like more info.

Rick

adamanteus
02-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the link Rick, it's nice to know that I was correct in thinking T.m. bovallii is still at sub-specific level. I love being right!
James.