PDA

View Full Version : How big was the largest male Eastern..

Tori
02-19-2007, 02:38 PM
I was wondering about the largest male Eastern that any of you have seen. Length and girthwise. I have a male that I am starting to believe isn't a male after all. He is 26 inches long and has a very good girth (and I don't mean for a male) He would match an equal length female. So I was just curious.

Sid
02-19-2007, 03:36 PM
My largest Eastern is 39" long, have not checked the girth. My best guess, she's rathe old for a Garter.

Sid

Valley Pets
02-20-2007, 06:54 AM
The largest I've seen in general was a wild snake. I thought for sure it was a full grown bull snake someone had let go! HUGE! But come to find out from a blood worm farmer friend of mine that he see's a lot of large garters around the coast...
Wish I could have got one of them!
Ryan-Valley Pets

Stefan-A
02-20-2007, 07:21 AM
Largest male, people. :) My male red-sided (not eastern) is 26" and much thinner (between half or two thirds as thick) than a female his size.

Just curious, Tori, but how was it sexed? Do you have a picture of it? Preferably one not taken with a phone. ;)

ssssnakeluvr
02-20-2007, 08:43 AM
My male eastern is about 18 inches long...I had a florida blue male that was about 24 incehs, but he passed away. They can get kinda long, but nowhere near as stocky as females.

GarterGuy
02-20-2007, 12:03 PM
My one male Oregon Redsided (T.s.concinnus) is just shy of 24", but is kind of lanky looking.
Roy

Tori
02-20-2007, 07:18 PM
I have pics of him but only one where he isn't curled up. This one is from last summer.

http://www.repticzone.net/images/13869/prettyboy3.jpg

This one recent:
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/prettyboyblue.jpg

When he isn't in shed he has some beautiful colors, I use a pic of his head as my avatar

ssssnakeluvr
02-20-2007, 09:39 PM
by looking at the pics I'm leaning towards that being a female....as stocky as the snake looks. the pic of him (or her) not curled up kinda looks female...males have longer tails that don't thin out real quick...would need better close ups of the tail, top and bottom.

Tori
02-21-2007, 12:14 AM
Actually, I've been leaning toward "him" being female for the last few months, but I hate to change my mind. That probably didn't make sense, I mean I hate to change what I've always thought he was. Course, hating it doesn't change a thing does it? I'm usually pretty good at sexing visually, but he was pretty small when I decided what he was. But when "he" kept growing and thickened up, I started having serious doubts. Not that it matters, I never intended to breed...umm...Her.

Cazador
02-21-2007, 01:00 AM
Reminds me of a story 'bout a guy named Holly... know why?

Because Holly came from Miami FLA
Hitch-hiked her way across the USA.
Plucked her eyebrows on the way
Shaved her legs and then he was a she
She said, hey babe, take a walk on the wild side,
Said, hey honey, take a walk on the wild side.

Like ssssnakeluvr said, Holly looks a little larger than most males. If it doesn't have hairy legs, then it's probably a she. There's only one way to tell if Holly's a he or a she (without probing), and that involves a clear side view of the vent (maybe a couple of them). Cheers,

Rick

Stefan-A
02-21-2007, 02:34 AM
Reminds me of a story 'bout a guy named Holly... know why?

Because Holly came from Miami FLA
Hitch-hiked her way across the USA.
Plucked her eyebrows on the way
Shaved her legs and then he was a she
She said, hey babe, take a walk on the wild side,
Said, hey honey, take a walk on the wild side.

If I continue that story and start telling about Candy, do you promise that you won't censor it? ;)

abcat1993
02-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Is that actually how the song goes? I don't know the name, or lyrics, just "take a walk on the wild side".

adamanteus
02-21-2007, 05:06 PM
I think that at 13 years old, it's probably best that you don't know the lyrics!!