PDA

View Full Version : Carefresh?

philthechil
01-29-2009, 08:00 PM
I've heard it's quite good and I'm planning on buying some but I'm not sure how many liters of it I should buy. Any thoughts anybody? I have a 10 gallon tank with 1 Eastern Garder Snake but I'm planning on upgrading to a 20 or 25 gallon tank and *attempting* to find another snake in the spring.

Snake lover 3-25
01-29-2009, 08:09 PM
i've heard it's quite great...... i'm planning on getting some for my cage too..... i'd get the largest amount possible... cheaper that way.... and it's not like it goes bad....

philthechil
01-29-2009, 08:18 PM
What about wood shavings? I know that my siblings used that for their various Rodents...

Snake lover 3-25
01-29-2009, 08:29 PM
i have reptibark.... pine shavings are bad..... aspen is ok.... with the looser substrates you have to be really careful that it doesn't get stuck to their food... i feed mine in a seperate empty tank...

philthechil
01-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Right now I'm just using little pebbles from my yard. No harm of those getting stuck to the food. :P

Snake lover 3-25
01-29-2009, 08:39 PM
nope not really.... but i'd switch to care fresh or wood chips.... gravel should be fine for now... but not good for the long run...

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Hi there,

carefresh is a great substrate for many snakes, including garters. If you feed in the cage, offer the food on a flat dish or wet a paper towel and lay it overtop of the carefresh so that the food won't get bedding on it. Wood chips can mean many different things... stay away from anything that says cedar, or pine. They contain phenols which are harmful to an animal's respiratory tract. Aspen shavings are great, reptibark or similar brands are also alright. I have taken to newspaper pellets very well.... I use a product called Kittysoft, its packaged as cat litter but it's 100% recycled newspaper. You can also use yesterday's news... its the same stuff, just a more expensive brand! I like the newspaper pellets because it is heavy enough so that it does not get all stuck to their food, and if I somehow were to miss a piece as they were eating, it would just turn to mush in their belly (it does that as soon as it gets wet).... I would switch off the pebbles as soon as you can, they are non absorbent, they grow bacteria and molds and god knows what else very quickly because of that!

philthechil
01-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Yah... That's why I'm interested in buying some carefresh.... This weekend I'll check out my local petco and petsmart and I will check out their prices. I could get 30 liters for $20 shipped from NationalPetPharmecy.com

Here's some pics for ya...

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/enclosures/4890-gwennes-home.html#post98847

prattypus
01-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Carefresh is the JAM! I still clean the tank along the same interval, but the odor is gone. It may give you a false sense of security if you get complacent, but I think it's awesome, and all my critters love to burrow through it.

philthechil
01-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Is $20 shipped for 30 liters a good price?

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-29-2009, 10:05 PM
I think 3o liters is the big bale they sell. At my store, it's 17.98 for a bale that size and it regularly goes on sale for 14.98. I work at pet supplies plus, don't know about other pet store's pricing but I really cant imagine it being any more than 20 elsewhere. I say just go get it at the pet store.. saves you the wait and the 1 or 2 dollars to ship it!!

philthechil
01-29-2009, 10:10 PM
That's what I'm thinking... It's actually $10 before shipping! :P

anji1971
01-30-2009, 08:35 AM
I really like the Carefresh. It's inexpensive, odour-free, and it goes a long way. One 20L bag is enough to change all three of my tanks (30G, 20G, and 10G), with a bit left over, for about $8.00. And the snakes love to tunnel through it. It holds the shape of their tunnels for them, so they create their own little subway system!

ssssnakeluvr
01-30-2009, 12:20 PM
it's very good stuff!!! Scott Felzer uses it all the time. I used to when I had the money and no kids staying with me...and a friend with a pet store....used to trade for it... :rolleyes:

jitami
01-30-2009, 01:01 PM
I missed your other thread, so first Welcome! Second, Gwenne is a cutie! I like the look of the rocks, but Gwenne would probably appreciate the carefresh. Walmart carries an off brand of the same stuff and the smallest bag will do a 20L maybe twice. I want to say it's 5 or 6 bucks max. Good luck :)

reptile3
01-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Carefresh is awesome... I use the White(ULTRA)
Carefresh Pet Bedding: Carefresh Ultra Pet Bedding at PETCO (http://www.petco.com/product/10791/Carefresh-Ultra-Pet-Bedding.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch)

this site sells it cheaper... Wayne(dekaybrown) buys from there.
https://plus18.safe-order.net/justpetsonline/catalog/index.php?cPath=38_211

The snakes love to slither through it, the cutest thing they do is, peak their heads out of it... all you see is there little head.. sometimes the tail too!

Mr. Kyle trying to be sneaky:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/reptile3/reptile3-3/DSC03013.jpg

philthechil
01-30-2009, 03:20 PM
I went to petco today and they have a 30liter bag for $15 there... I will also check out Walmart. But for now I will have to stick with rocks... Seeing as I am broke.

infernalis
01-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Carefresh is awesome... I use the White(ULTRA)
Carefresh Pet Bedding: Carefresh Ultra Pet Bedding at PETCO (http://www.petco.com/product/10791/Carefresh-Ultra-Pet-Bedding.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch)

this site sells it cheaper... Wayne(dekaybrown) buys from there.
https://plus18.safe-order.net/justpetsonline/catalog/index.php?cPath=38_211

I can run, but I can't hide.:cool:;)

guidofatherof5
01-30-2009, 04:14 PM
We don't want you to run or hide, Wayne!

reptile3
01-30-2009, 08:35 PM
I can run, but I can't hide.:cool:;)

You have been hiding..;) glad to see you post!!!

brain
01-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Designer colored bedding …. :rolleyes: What will they think of next?

I use Aspen shavings at $18.00 for a 26 cubic foot bale from my local farm supply Skagit Farmer.

philthechil
01-31-2009, 11:25 AM
So how often should I replace all the substrate?

brain
01-31-2009, 11:30 AM
About three weeks apart or as I lose that wood smell time to clean.

Some time all it takes for me is one goo dump and I got to clean up.

I dump the shaving in my back yard it compotes better than paper Carefresh

infernalis
01-31-2009, 11:32 AM
So how often should I replace all the substrate?

That depends.

I clean out all poop deposits quickly, so my snakes bedding is clean for months.

It has to get really trashed before I change it completely.

as long as you keep it free of collected poops, it will last a long time.

If you let it absorb and get all damp with waste, you will have to change it a lot more frequently.

A little added as a freshen up step along the way helps too.

brain
01-31-2009, 11:40 AM
You know Wayne I have let my Womas go for about two months without a cleaning and they are in the living room on display. Their poop is like that of a cat with not much smell.

But my Kings … whew … I get right on that one.

As I get into the garters can I except the poop to be like a king?

brain
01-31-2009, 11:41 AM
I mean I too pick out the large pieces.

reptile3
01-31-2009, 11:45 AM
That depends.

I clean out all poop deposits quickly, so my snakes bedding is clean for months.

It has to get really trashed before I change it completely.

as long as you keep it free of collected poops, it will last a long time.

If you let it absorb and get all damp with waste, you will have to change it a lot more frequently.

A little added as a freshen up step along the way helps too.

Ditto... this is exactly what I do too!:D

infernalis
01-31-2009, 12:15 PM
Garter poop is kinda like kingsnake poop.

It is smallish, but wet and runny like bird poop, not overly smelly.

Aspen soaks it right up, and then I use a tissue wad to grab the clumps.

brain
01-31-2009, 12:26 PM
Good to hear TY Wayne

philthechil
01-31-2009, 12:32 PM
So next week after I get some cash, I'll head over to Walmart and probably get their generic form of Carefresh. If I can't find it, I'll just buy the 30l bag at petco for $15.

infernalis
01-31-2009, 03:39 PM
So next week after I get some cash, I'll head over to Walmart and probably get their generic form of Carefresh. If I can't find it, I'll just buy the 30l bag at petco for $15.

Wal mart overcharges, they only carry the real deal, and in very small bags.:(

philthechil
01-31-2009, 04:08 PM
I heard they had a cheap generic form though.. :(

olive oil
01-31-2009, 04:09 PM
I have bought a generic brand there before.

infernalis
01-31-2009, 04:27 PM
is it that pink bag that they want $6 for?

I just figured with the price that high, it had to be real.

olive oil
01-31-2009, 04:30 PM
Yep, it is kinda pink-purple. Critter Care.

infernalis
01-31-2009, 04:42 PM
That's the one... EXPENSIVE

I can get a huge bag of aspen for what they want.

drache
01-31-2009, 04:50 PM
I think of carefresh as expensive and I only use it for some animals
I don't use it for any of my garters right now

jitami
01-31-2009, 04:55 PM
That's the one... EXPENSIVE

I can get a huge bag of aspen for what they want.

But it's less expensive than carefresh from petco or petsmart... I'll have to look into aspen, but with only two tanks to furnish it's not that big a deal ;)

infernalis
01-31-2009, 04:59 PM
But it's less expensive than carefresh from petco or petsmart... I'll have to look into aspen, but with only two tanks to furnish it's not that big a deal ;)

Yeah, I HAD 2 tanks once:eek:

jitami
01-31-2009, 05:11 PM
LOL... and I don't use nearly as much as Stephanie... my poor deprived snakes only have an inch or two, and I spot clean and only change out the whole thing maybe once a month, once every 6 weeks? Probably even less than that. Those little bags last me a while :o:)

anji1971
01-31-2009, 06:25 PM
Carefresh is about the same price as aspen here. I didn't like the smell with the aspen.
Tami, I only use about 2 inches in the bottom as well, and I spot clean daily, and totally clean monthly, unless they're unusually stinky.
Lately, mine have taken to hiding under the carefresh and pooing all over the bottom of the tank, which makes life a bit more challenging for the cleaning crew.:rolleyes:

jitami
01-31-2009, 07:20 PM
I was trying to remember the last time I did total changes and then it dawned on me that my guys haven't been eating or pooping lately! So, yeah, depending on activity, about once a month seems right <gg>

philthechil
01-31-2009, 07:38 PM
I will look at both Walmart's an Petco's prices. I want something that looks really natural and is really easy to spot clean.

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Aspen is easier to spot clean than carefresh, As Anji mentioned.... they tend to burrow under carefresh and poop all over the glass!

infernalis
02-01-2009, 12:20 AM
I will look at both Walmart's an Petco's prices. I want something that looks really natural and is really easy to spot clean.

I don't know what is natural about a gob of regurgitated newspaper on the floor of an enclosure.

Repti bark mixed with some coconut hair is nice looking, and washable, yes washable just put it in a colander (Strainer) and run hot water through it, drain and dry, then put it back in.

Super cheap, since it washes. Looks better than mulch, and it absorbs odors.

http://www.dekayi.info/1/mix.jpg

guidofatherof5
02-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Shannon,
The pooping on the glass is a revenge thing.
They do it just to tick us off:D

anji1971
02-01-2009, 10:26 AM
I don't know what is natural about a gob of regurgitated newspaper on the floor of an enclosure.

Repti bark mixed with some coconut hair is nice looking, and washable, yes washable just put it in a colander (Strainer) and run hot water through it, drain and dry, then put it back in.

Wayne, this is too cool!:cool:
It never even dawned on me that you could wash Reptibark and reuse it. What a great idea!!
That was the first substrate I used, and I loved the look and smell, but definitely not the price, so I switched to the Carefresh. Now that I know this, guess who's switching back to Reptibark???:D WooHoo!!

infernalis
02-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Anji - It says washable right on the bag.;)

It never would have dawned on me either.

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-01-2009, 12:07 PM
haha, me either!!!!! But with all my snakes, I would not have time to wash reptibark for 4 hours on a sunday, lol!!!

I agree that carefresh does not look natural in the least... and it's incredibly expensive for as much as you get when you compare it to other substrates. Don't both looking elsewhere for a lower price, you will not find it for under $15. If you are going to buy it for that, buy it now because it's probably on sale, usually it is around $17 or $18. Besides, if you factor in the cost of the gas of running around hunting for a $1 or $2 bargain, you actually end up spending more! Not to mention all the time wasted. I have a customer who drives an hour from his house to my store because the dog food he buys is like $3 cheaper. Never ceases to amaze me!

The stuff they sell at walmart is overpriced.

Right now, The kittysoft newspaper pellet I have been using is on a TPR for just 6.98, normally it is $11.98 (still much cheaper than carefresh cause you get a LOT)... needless to say, I now have a small floor stack of kittysoft residing in the garage. It is so absorbant and it doesn't get all stuck to their food!! And it has a tad of baking soda in the pellet, it is wonderful with smells!

infernalis
02-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Sometimes Shannon, we have to do extreme things to save some money.

I also see no logic in driving around to save a few cents, Heck I have seen people fight traffic because the gas station on the other side of town is one cent less per gallon! and they only bought ten bucks in gas, for a total savings of 5 cents, AND they only burned 2 gallons of gas to "save" that nickel. (Depreciated the vehicle, took an extra hour out of the day, Etc...)

But if the snake cage is nasty, and we just spent the last of our money on food or whatever, Time gets made to wash the repti bark.

olive oil
02-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks for sharing that tip Wayne!
I never thought to wash the reptile bark.
I like to use it around the water bowl to soak up any spills:)

brain
02-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I HAD 2 tanks once:eek:

Yea .. same here and more to come this spring .... ;);)

Snake lover 3-25
02-01-2009, 01:12 PM
i had one tank at the start of 08 and now i have 5!!!!!! (including the fish....:()

Snake lover 3-25
02-01-2009, 01:14 PM
omg you can wash it????!!!!!!!:eek: i never would have figured that out!!!!!!

brain
02-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Yea Shan

A fish tank setup is probably the next here for live foods.

I have a 29gl show in the Sunroom I haven’t used in years. But plan to put that in service.

Snake lover 3-25
02-01-2009, 01:47 PM
lol i got a 55 for my snakes along with a 15 gal that came free.... the 15 was quickly filled with a new baby snake.... then i just had to fill up their old tank so i put my turtle in it.... fish outgrew their small 2 gal tank and so we got them a 15 broke that (we have a koi...) got them a 20 high..... turtle out grew his 15 got him a 20 long.... koi started to chase and eat the smaller fish so we put them in the turtles old 15...... so now we have 5....... and believe it or not the koi is just about to out grow the 20 high...... ugh lol i just wish they'd all stay the same size!!!!

brain
02-01-2009, 02:05 PM
ROTFL ... sound like you have your hands full ...

Snake lover 3-25
02-01-2009, 07:38 PM
yup sure do.... my sister bought the koi from walmart...... it was labled as a gold fish........ needless to say it's not a gold fish....... now we're gonna have to build a pond!!!!rofl lol:D

reptile3
02-01-2009, 11:24 PM
I use carefresh only for my garter & dekayi's. I use newspaper & aspen*under hides*, the iguana gets carpet, & the geckos & beardie have coconut substrate.

I am home most of the time, so when they go potty, I am usually here to clean it right up! Also lucky sometimes most of my reptiles go potty in the same spot!! YAY, makes clean up easy!

Except for the garter & dekayi;s they like to wait till I put fresh carefresh & then go potty!!!

Like my cat Jake, HE waits for me to clean the liter box, then he goes potty!:eek:

prattypus
02-01-2009, 11:50 PM
I use carefresh only for my garter & dekayi's. I use newspaper & aspen*under hides*, the iguana gets carpet, & the geckos & beardie have coconut substrate.

I am home most of the time, so when they go potty, I am usually here to clean it right up! Also lucky sometimes most of my reptiles go potty in the same spot!! YAY, makes clean up easy!

Except for the garter & dekayi;s they like to wait till I put fresh carefresh & then go potty!!!

Like my cat Jake, HE waits for me to clean the liter box, then he goes potty!:eek:

Well of course! I don't want to use the pot if it hasn't been flushed yet!

ssssnakeluvr
02-01-2009, 11:52 PM

Except for the garter & dekayi;s they like to wait till I put fresh carefresh & then go potty!!!:eek:
mine love going in the water dish........:mad:

infernalis
02-02-2009, 12:02 AM

Simplifies cleanup, does it not Don?

ssssnakeluvr
02-02-2009, 12:11 AM
somewhat.....makes more work cleaning the water dishes!!!

philthechil
02-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Well, I bought a 30l bag of "critter care" at walmart for $10. :P I think once I use that up I will buy some Reptibark.

I will be posting pictures later. :D

brain
02-02-2009, 06:16 PM

Both of my gophers do their duty in the water dish and yes it does make it easer to clean up but it makes it hard on me with where the dish is just to get it out of the habitat.:mad::mad:

adamanteus
02-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Snakes certainly seem to favour the water bowl as their toilet... which is why all my water bowls are situated just inside the right hand door of each viv. This way the bowl (although fixed) can be cleaned and refilled in half a minute. I change the water every day as a matter of course, and more often when it is soiled...... the way I have them positioned for access, it's really not an issue.

jitami
02-02-2009, 06:46 PM
That is something I really need to work on! I love having the babies in their 20L on my desk, but in order to access the water I have to move my monitor(computer screen, not lizard :P) then walk around the back side of a half wall, then slide the screen as far as it will go, still hitting monitor-have knocked it off a couple times, and then maneuver the water dish carefully around a log and a vine, all the while making sure no one escapes because they're usually right at the top on the vine when I slide the screen open... yeah... something needs to change! lol

infernalis
02-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Since I feed nearly all my snakes outside the enclosures, The water bowls are situated for easy access as well.

I like them using the water bowl, it saves money$$$$

aSnakeLovinBabe
02-02-2009, 08:39 PM
well, in that case you are totally right! but boy oh boy would that take me hours with all my snakes:p

probably would be easier in summer though, when the hose is not frozen stiff!!!!:p

Stefan-A
02-03-2009, 02:42 AM
Snakes certainly seem to favour the water bowl as their toilet... which is why all my water bowls are situated just inside the right hand door of each viv. This way the bowl (although fixed) can be cleaned and refilled in half a minute. I change the water every day as a matter of course, and more often when it is soiled...... the way I have them positioned for access, it's really not an issue.
How do you empty the fixed bowls and how thoroughly do you clean them?

drache
02-03-2009, 05:37 AM
good question, Stefan - I was curious about that also
in my case, with currently about 20 water bowls to keep clean, they better all be accessible
they all get changed every other day, but some of them more often