PDA

View Full Version : Snake poop in my sleeping bag

drache
02-21-2007, 07:13 AM
By now I'm thoroughly bored of being sick.
So this morning I got out my little mystery snake to see whether I could get anything better with the camera in my palm pilot (of course not).
The little guy pooped all over the inside of my sleeping bag. I did get it cleaned up and the sleeping bag is now draped over a chair to dry. I keep thinking I smell it on stuff though - is it my hand? my sweater? the couch?
Probably just scent stuck in my nose.
It did make me think of people waking up with Rattlers in their sleeping bag. Then, by association, about that kid who was bitten by a Rattler in Yosemite and posted the blow-by-blow photos of the process he has to go through to save his arm (eleven times surgery).

KITKAT
02-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Yikes!

Try baking soda sprinkled on the bag, then vacumn it off.

abcat1993
02-21-2007, 09:29 PM
What do you do when you wake up with poisonous snakes? Carefully slide out and HOPE they don't attack you. And I also, have seen those pics; DISGUSTING.

drache
02-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Sleeping bag no longer stinky - thanks for the baking soda reminder.

I actually thought the snake bite pictures were really interesting, but I'm a health practitioner and we're weird that way. You know - scientific interest outweighing the gross factor.
Also - they managed to leave that boy with a functional arm and hand, which is a pretty amazing feat of medical science.

Thamnophis
02-22-2007, 12:49 AM
Yeah, they really can stink :D

Is there a link to the pictures of the rattler-bite?

drache
02-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah.
Go to:
Justin's Rattlesnake Bite (http://www.rattlesnakebite.org)
That's where the whole story is with a link to the pictures.

Thamnophis
02-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Yeah.
Go to:
Justin's Rattlesnake Bite (http://www.rattlesnakebite.org)
That's where the whole story is with a link to the pictures.

Thanks for the link. These pictures were already known by me.
Great pictures to show to people who want to keep venemous snakes and are not ready for it. :p

adamanteus
02-23-2007, 07:56 PM
That's grim!

Lulu Bennett
07-29-2007, 05:40 AM
I feel quite queezy now after looking at those pictures!!!:eek:

Snaky
07-29-2007, 06:23 AM
Very interesting story and pictures. One of the reasons I'll probably never start with venomous species, or they must have a very mild venoum.

Lee
07-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Doesn't scare me away from wanting to keep venomous species at some point... ;*) I want rattlers and copperheads ;*)

Stefan-A
07-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Vipera and Agkistrodon for me. ;)

Lulu Bennett
07-29-2007, 01:31 PM
i wouldn't mind seeing one or getting close to one but i wouldn't like to keep them far to inexperienced!!!

adamanteus
07-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Doesn't scare me away from wanting to keep venomous species

It's best to always be just a little bit scared. Complacency kills.

Stefan-A
07-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Absolutely, complacency does kill.

But one day, when I have a proper snake room, I will get venomous snakes. No Elapids, the thought of the world's most venomous snakes with the added bonus of a garter's metabolism scares the hell out of me already. :D

adamanteus
07-29-2007, 01:40 PM
If it wasn't for the fact that I have a three year old in the house now, I think I would still have a collection of Agkistrodon.

Lee
07-29-2007, 03:23 PM
It's best to always be just a little bit scared. Complacency kills.
Scarred no, respectful, yes. To me being afraid is a mistake, IMO its best to be confident but respectful of the power these snakes have. Its when you are unsure you make the most mistakes!

adamanteus
07-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Without that little bit of fear, the respect fades just enough to kill you. I've known a few guys who kept venomous snakes that became "tame"..... they got bitten. I kept venomous species of numerous types for twenty or more years, I'm always aware of the extreme danger I put myself in when dealing with them, and I'm always a little bit scared....I've never been bitten by a venomous snake.

enigma200316
07-29-2007, 07:04 PM
I would be to afraid to have venomus snakes, I make a mistake and be dead, just how it would be for me!!!!:eek: