PDA

View Full Version : good exhibition today!!!

jewel-dragons
02-25-2007, 03:38 PM
we had an expo today,it was perfect for us,i buy another three Natrix Vittata's and two Marcianus Albino's!!!

so this day was super!!!
they look nice,and very alive :D

bye bye Kuno

my garter club is getting bigger and bigger...

foto's coming quickly!!!!

Sid
02-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Congradulations on the additions to your collection. Look forward to the photos.

Sid

adamanteus
02-25-2007, 04:53 PM
Hi Kuno,

Looking forward to seeing the Natrix photos.

James.

Daniel
02-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Hey Kuno,

congrats to your new snakes. I like the indonesian garter snakes a lot too and had them kept for some time, two years ago. Unfortunately I had no luck in breeding them and finally gave them to a guy from the Netherlands.

Just to put this right: Natrix vittata is now Xenochrophis vittatus.

Best wishes,

Daniel

drache
02-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Congratulations.
I wish I'd been there too.
It took me a while to hunt up a picture of a Natrix Vittata and in the process of looking, I found out that it's been renamed.
It's now called Xenochrophis vittatus.
What a beautiful snake!

Thamnophis
02-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Good for you, Kuno.
Did not know there was an exhibition today.

reptileparadise
02-26-2007, 03:55 AM
Yeah, there was one in Veldhoven.
Lots of N. Vitatta! and 5 or 6 other aquatic snakes, dont recall their names...(with the strange looking nose...)

Gijs & Sabine
02-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Well done Kuno ! You're collection is getting bigger by the day;) .
We're also curious to the pics. Maybe we come to visit you soon.

jewel-dragons
02-26-2007, 10:57 AM
here some pictures....

here the pictures from the marcianus albino (so far i can see its an couple) they come from italy
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/kunomooren/P1010212.jpg

here the picture from the Xenogrophis Vittatus(Natrix Vittata)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/kunomooren/P1010214.jpg

my collection is now (only the snakes)
Thamnophis Sirtalis Tetraraenia 5.1
Thamnophis Marcianus 1.2
Thamnophis Marcianus albino 1.1
Xenogrophis Vittatus 3.3

and what is coming?
a few sirtalis blacks...
a few Atratus...
and some red albino's (christmas albino's)

i also have a lot of bearded dragons (hypo's and translucents)

drache
02-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Kuno
The Xenogrophis are so beautiful.
You guys are really quite fortunate over there.
At our local expo there is never even a single garter snake, let alone ribbons or water snakes.
There are endless amounts of beautiful boas and pythons which I can't even legally keep in New York.
The range is pretty narrow here as far as snakes go. There are often many wonderful Elaphe, Lampropeltis, and some Heterodon species too. That's about it.

Snaky
02-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Nice additions :)

jewel-dragons
02-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Kuno
The Xenogrophis are so beautiful.
You guys are really quite fortunate over there.
At our local expo there is never even a single garter snake, let alone ribbons or water snakes.
There are endless amounts of beautiful boas and pythons which I can't even legally keep in New York.
The range is pretty narrow here as far as snakes go. There are often many wonderful Elaphe, Lampropeltis, and some Heterodon species too. That's about it.
thank you,but it's very difficult to find the beautifull animals.... i search for years at the Xenogrophis,and now i have 6!!!!

i think i'm the only one for now who has these specie,so i'm very happy,it wood be nice to get some breed this year :D

to make a bigger holding in Europe!!!

Thamnophis
02-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah, there was one in Veldhoven.
Lots of N. Vitatta! and 5 or 6 other aquatic snakes, dont recall their names...(with the strange looking nose...)

I am curious about the species with the strange looking nose! Anyone know the species-name?

ssssnakeluvr
02-26-2007, 08:15 PM
nice looking snakes...I really want the natrix natrix.....:(

Daniel
02-27-2007, 03:38 AM
Hey ssssnakeluvr,

in what subspecies of natrix natrix are you interested? I do keep some natrix natrix scutata. Just have a look, what they did some days ago ;)

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//502/medium/DSC00242.JPG

and a picture of my female:

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//502/medium/natrixdesktop.JPG

Best wishes,

Daniel

ssssnakeluvr
02-27-2007, 08:49 AM
That looks like the ones I want. I have seen them called grass snakes. I have found quite a variation in patterns on them on the internet...some even have 2 stripes. Very nice looking snakes....have seen them advertised here inthe U.S. on occasion...but will be looking more seriously this summer to get some. Nice looking snakes!!!!!! :D

Stefan-A
02-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Natrix natrix persa can have two stripes.

I'd strangle a puppy for a Natrix natrix couple, but apparently you need a permit to keep domestic species, although I don't know what the situation is when it's a question of a foreign subspecies. Still looking for definite answers in our legislation, but it doesn't look good.

reptileparadise
02-27-2007, 12:55 PM
@thamnophis: found their names! Erpeton tentaculatum

Thamnophis
02-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Erpeton tentaculatum... Yeah, they look great. Real watersnakes.
Difficult to keep. They often die after a few months.

In the Netherlands it is impossible to keep Natrix natrix (every subspecies) legally.

@ Daniel... that is a very beautiful subspecies!

Snaky
02-28-2007, 01:47 AM
In the Netherlands it is impossible to keep Natrix natrix (every subspecies) legally.
It sucks, just this weekend I collected some new snakes in Germany ( th.c.c ) . He also had some very nice natrix natrix. It's the same as not being able to hold tetrataenia in the US, it's a pitty:(.

Stefan-A
02-28-2007, 02:02 AM
Luckily, you can still see them in their natural habitat.

Thamnophis
02-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Luckily, you can still see them in their natural habitat.

That's true. Strangely I don't look at Natrix natrix as a terrarium-animal.

Meeting them in the wild is always fantastic!

Stefan-A
02-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Indeed, but I'm warming up to the idea of people keeping them. They don't seem very difficult as captive bred.

I don't know how much the people here know about Finnish society, but almost every Finnish family has a small summer cottage in the countryside, usually by a lake or the sea. Ours happens to be in on an island in the Gulf of Finland (60.12.54 N, 25.57.59 E according to Google Earth). There hasn't been more than one or two snakes on that island since my grandparents first started building there some 30 or 40 years ago, but last summer I found 5 Vipera berus and one huge Natrix natrix within 10 meters of the house. Got a few pictures of the Viperas, but not of the Natrix. Anyway, the area is crawling with voles and frogs, so it's really no wonder that both species thrive. We saw that grass snake a couple of times, it was well over a meter long (N. n. natrix doesn't normally get nearly as big as helvetica iirc), really beautiful grey with small black markings along the body.

As a sidenote, I found a dead vole maybe 2 meters from where I found one Vipera berus and of course the snake became the main suspect. ;) Personally, I feel very lucky to be able to see these snakes in the wild.

I have no idea why I decided to tell this little anecdote. Maybe because it's around 3:30 AM and there was a bit of partying going on earlier in the evening. ;)

ps. pictures of one Vipera berus and a nearby Rana temporaria in the gallery. :p

Thamnophis
03-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Great to hear that it goes well with snakes in your part of Finland.

And that is a very beautiful Vipera berus that you photographed.

Hope to find some in the Czech Republic this year.