PDA

View Full Version : screen top building

drache
03-11-2009, 07:06 AM
not that I have the time or anything, but I need to build screen tops with rims on top for some of my tanks, so the lighting doesn't keep getting knocked off by cats
I know some people here (Loren or Jerry for sure) make their own and I'm looking for pointers
I'd like to use rigid screening - need to find a source - can that stuff be cut with wire cutters?

count dewclaw
03-11-2009, 08:42 AM
I'd like to use rigid screening - need to find a source - can that stuff be cut with wire cutters?

Yes, wire cutters work fine. I built a tank topper for my daughter's degu with rigid screening (hardware cloth).

guidofatherof5
03-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Here's a diagram of a top I designed. Hope it helps.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/top_diagram.jpg

drache
03-11-2009, 02:00 PM
hinges!
of course
i can do whatever i want
there's this hardware store i've been wanting to check out
I should see what kind of scrap wood i've got
seem to remember a bunch of 1x3 that might work - a bit wide
I may have some time later to play with that
right now I just dipped in for a quick break

Loren
03-16-2009, 06:40 AM
I use 1/4" hardware cloth for my lids, however, be aware that the holes on 1/4" are too big for small garters, so they must either be larger than the holes before going in one of those cages, or you must layer window screen with it.
I advise to grow snakes well past the point of "looks big enough" before using 1/4" cloth, as I once had to carefully cut the cloth to extract my cal. mountain king, back when he was a baby. I now grow babies up in smaller cages or tubs first.
The reasons I use 1/4" cloth instead of screen are strength (much more cat proof and dog resistant than screen) and it lets light through much better, especially with uv for lizards.
Wire cutters work, but I bought a fairly good quality tin snips/metal shears,(15-20 $ max, I think) and it was worth the money in time saved.
My lids just set down in the lip, and rely on weights on top, but there are many other ways to do it. I use 5/8" thick wood, as there is very little flexing, making them very secure- more so than most add-on style pet store lids. I use 1/4" staples in a staple gun to attach the cloth.

The hinge idea is cool too. I have never made one that way personally.

If you cut the centers out with a circular saw the way I do, be very, very careful and keep a tight grip, with your body clear. Its dangerous to use a circular this way, as it can catch and kick back on you.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/makin_lids.JPG
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/new_lids.JPG

drache
03-16-2009, 08:47 AM
ah - you actually cut hole in the wood; I'd never attempt that with a circular saw - not with mine in any case
I was going to use a similar approach to picture framing and sandwich the hardware cloth between two boards (have a bunch of 1x3 - might be too bulky), one of which may end up being some kind of ledge
should be plenty sturdy
still working out the details
thanks for the help

Loren
03-16-2009, 12:29 PM
No problem Rhea. Personally, I would rather have too bulky, but strong, than to have too thin but flimsy. Just have to make one and see how it perform, then you can make more if you like it. The nice thing is, theres no rules to follow, other than dont let the sanke out and dont hurt the snake, so have fun witth it :)

drache
03-16-2009, 03:05 PM
right
maybe that's just the kind of project I need right now
i've been spending too much time in my head - tinkering can provide a healthy balance