PDA

View Full Version : Any one else like hunting or fishing?

Elliot
03-04-2007, 09:58 PM
If you do, tell us exactly what you do and what you like about it. Post pics!

drache
03-04-2007, 10:29 PM
I grew up up-hill from a rainbow trout farm and the brook in the valley had some of that trout in it. You had to get a permit to go fishing there, since the trout belonged to the farm.
However in my my younger years I'd hang out down there a lot. I found that, given a bit of patience and the proper procedure, it's not that hard to catch them by hand.
I don't suppose that qualifies as fishing.
Other than that I was just around a lot of hunting and a good deal of fishing.

Stefan-A
03-05-2007, 12:40 AM
I like both, actually.

Pike (Esox lucius) is my favorite game fish with perch (Perca fluviatilis) as a strong second and ide (Leuciscus idus) in third place. Normally I prefer using ultralight equipment, make my own lures and I don't do "catch-and-release". I could hold an hour-long presentation on the subject of "My fishing hobby", and I actually have. :D

Heres a picture:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/thamnoph/photos/id-reflex7g.jpg
That's a 7g Reflex in its mouth, if you want to know what size the fish is. Not huge. What I like about it? Developing and trying out new ideas and strategies, and generally bettering yourself. Not to mention trivial things like enjoying nature.

And hunting.. You could say that I'm more of a trapper than a hunter, haven't got that much land to hunt on. Mink and raccoon dog (Nyctereutes procyonoides). With instantly killing and live catching traps, sometimes with firearms.

Same reasons as with fishing, plus these two species are introduced species that are damaging the local ecosystem.

drache, catching fish qualifies as fishing. :) No matter how you do it.

reptileparadise
03-05-2007, 05:01 AM
Yeah, defenitly like fishing...
Fishing in Holland is not that great, but once a year we make a nice trip to Norway. Love fishing there! You never know what you might catch next!
All fish that are hooked well, are trown back. I hate anglers that go to an other country to catch as many as possible, just to sell when they are at home again!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/vuurbuikpad/P1010024Small-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/vuurbuikpad/P1010164.jpg

Hunting...I personaly dont like it, but that has to do with dutch policies. Here we shoot to control the population. 2 rabbits every 5km2 is considerd to much...(not actuay those numbers, but sort of. Very few is apreciated)

Valley Pets
03-05-2007, 09:43 AM
I love both hunting and fishing! This nice weather we have been having here in N.S has got me wanting to get out and start the fishing season! I already made a few trips to the store and got some new gear for this year!
Ryan

abcat1993
03-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Every year my dad and I go hunting twice or more (duck, but usually deer and turkey) and go canoe camping which includes TONS of fishing. We're usually fishing for around 10 hours daily unless we're portaging or something.

Gyre
03-05-2007, 07:59 PM
I shoot bows. Lot's of bows.. but I don't shoot living things with them. lol Any other bowhunters/archers?

I'm all falconry here. I am just starting, so don't excpect any cool pics.:D I've just launched a search for someone nearby to sponser me..

I do love fishing also, but I really suck at it... I caught a dead fish once, and a mep, which I lost on the next cast. :p

Elliot
03-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Well I like to bowhunt, mostly rabbits or small game, and I love fishing of pretty much any kind. Every year we go up to West VIrginia and fish in the rivers for trout, and we have a 22 foot bay boat that we go bass fishing and saltwater fishing in. I also like to fly fish, but I suck at it. :D
I'll post some pics once I figure out how to get them to show up instead of make a link.

Elliot
03-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Here's an 18 inch rainbow trout i caught int he Greenbriar River in West Virginia on an ultralight with 4 pound test...

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/Rainbow_Trout.jpg

Elliot
03-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Here's my bow, a PSE Nova, 60# (not bad for a 15 year old :cool: ) and 29" draw length.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/bow.JPG

Gyre
03-05-2007, 10:29 PM
I generally shoot recerve, around 35lb. (Marten Rebel) but my Black Bear compound is set at 55lb.

Ever bowfish?

Tori
03-06-2007, 01:22 AM
I had never hunted until I moved to North Dakota a few years back. I mostly went because, well, hunting/fishing and drinking seem to be the only thing they did for fun there and I don't drink. Going out before sunrise to sit in a slue wearing ten layers of clothes actually got to be exciting. I've always loved target shooting and hitting my first goose was amazing. I don't believe in killing something unless you are going to eat it or know someone that will eat it, so I don't hunt much now that I know what goose and duck taste like....gag. But deer hunting is still exciting. And ice fishing has to be one of the most fun things to do! We would take a small building built on runners and pull it out onto the ice. Set it up and drill holes. I've spent more than one weekend doing nothing but fishing, playing cards, snowmobiling when the fish weren't biting, and sleeping. I know it doesn't sound like much but it was for me.

Tori

Elliot
03-06-2007, 04:03 PM
I generally shoot recerve, around 35lb. (Marten Rebel) but my Black Bear compound is set at 55lb.

Ever bowfish?

Well I've tried, I don't have a true set up just a cheap reel with 80 pound test. I have shot a couple of nice fish with it though, but there's no place to do it around here anymore.

abcat1993
03-06-2007, 04:17 PM
I wish I had a REAL bow. Mine is just a crappy kid's compound bow with 5 breaking arrows.

Elliot
03-06-2007, 04:39 PM
I wish I had a REAL bow. Mine is just a crappy kid's compound bow with 5 breaking arrows.

haha nothing wrong with that I sometimes still use my little crappy kid's bow to hunt too.

abcat1993
03-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Well, that's where we're different. I pretty much only shoot at targets, but now I'm not supposed to shoot at even that. Somehow I got a perfect angle on the metal bar above the target, and it bounced over my neighbors garage and supposedly almost hit one of them. Of course I don't believe them, and neither does my dad, but that's why I have airsoft guns.

Gyre
03-06-2007, 05:01 PM
I've never gone bow fishing myself, (I might have better luck with it though.) But it seems like a good first step toward bowhunting wich I plan on doing in the future.

Watch out for those breaking arrows abcat! My brother in law decided to shoot a carbon fiber arrow with a hairline fracture running down the shaft, and he almost lost his thumb... It was not pretty. It's still not too pretty to be honest.

Elliot
03-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Yup thats a baaaaad idea with any decent powered bow.

Gyre
03-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Deffanately.. I've been shooting for.. six? Yeah, six or seven years now, and I've been certified to teach for about two years. We had to look as some videos and hear some stories of what happens when archery goes wrong.. Yuk.

Anyway.. Most of the accidents involved arrows that were in poor condition or were too short for the archer.

abcat1993
03-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Wow, you learn fast. Teachin in four years? Wow.

Elliot
03-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Yeah I get kinda paranoid about my arrows, dont want a broken arrow getting shot at 300fps out of my bow. I flex them before every shot lol

duh duh duh
03-06-2007, 08:29 PM
I do both but the last few years my shooting has occurred with a camera rather than my shotgun.

A family tradition has us hunting on Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. Ducks, geese, pheasants, partridge, grouse, etc.

Gyre
03-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Wow, you learn fast. Teachin in four years? Wow.

I taught myself to shoot in one summer, and I haven't put the bow down since. The only reason i wasn't out today was because it was 21 below with windchill, and I thought it might be too cold for my recurve. :D

Elliot
03-07-2007, 04:01 PM
I think you also tend to get the hang of archery pretty quickly, even though it's not as easy as shooting rifles.

adamanteus
03-07-2007, 04:11 PM
I've never tried Archery but you've all got me curious now. There's an archery club not far from me, I might have a look one day. Where I live, Cheshire in the north of England, was once famous for it's bowmen. The Cheshire long bow was feared by our enemies in days gone by. Remember Agincourt!

abcat1993
03-07-2007, 06:02 PM
I've never tried Archery but you've all got me curious now. There's an archery club not far from me, I might have a look one day. Where I live, Cheshire in the north of England, was once famous for it's bowmen. The Cheshire long bow was feared by our enemies in days gone by. Remember Agincourt!

Sounds like something from a movie. You'd be a good actor (or screenwrighter).

Gyre
03-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Most of the shooting sports come very quickly with practice. We had a girl in our last arhery course, who couldn't hit the target at ten feet. :p When I was helping her find the arrows, I was explaining that she had the best grouping out of all the kids, it just wasn't in the target.

With a little form tweeking, she was the best shot by the second week.

I'm a firearm lover as well. Ha ha. :D
What do you guys shoot, that says, "Bang!"

Elliot
03-07-2007, 08:27 PM

You'll have a great time if you go I'm sure! Maybe you could even shoot a longbow up there, they're a lot of fun.

Stefan-A
03-07-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm a firearm lover as well. Ha ha. :D
What do you guys shoot, that says, "Bang!"
A whole lot. ;)

Remington 870 (12/89) - My small game shotgun, hoped to be able to hunt roe deer last season, but it just didn't work out.

CZ 452 (.22lr) - My official hunting and benchrest rifle. :D The metal parts are from the 452 Standard and the stock from the 452 Varmint. A real joy to shoot, if anybody ever needs a good .22 (now also in .17), then it's absolutely worth considering.

JGA M.35 (.22lr) - Made by J.G. Anschütz in the mid- to late 1930's, bought as used by my grandfather in 1963, used (but not owned) by my father in his youth and passed to me in 1998.

VKT M39 (Mosin-Nagant variant, 7.62x53R) - My project rifle. Scope and ATI glassfiber stock added to the original M39. It's been way too expensive already, could have bought a decent, more modern rifle for the money I invested in this one. Small game and paper targets.

and then there are the ones that I don't hunt with..

CZ 75B (9x19)
Smith & Wesson 686-2 (.357)
Thompson/Center Encore (pistol, .223 Remington)

Cazador
03-08-2007, 12:59 AM
Since this is a hunting thread, I'll post a dead animal picture. I hope nobody is offended. My bow is about a 1985 model PSE with round wheels (no cams)... practically a museum piece, I know. The draw weight is 68 lbs, and I still shoot aluminum arrows. When I'm not bow hunting, I also shoot a Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H magnum, a Browning A-bolt Medallion .300 Win Mag, a Savage 25-06, various shotguns, and .22 rifles. I still have a Marlin 30-30, but I haven't shot it in about 15 years.

Arctic sunset at about 1:30 AM in mid-September
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/FH000078.jpg
Believe me, this little stream is full of delicious arctic grayling (Thymallus arcticus).
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/FH000082.jpg
barren ground caribou (Rangifer tarandus)
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/DSC00033.JPG

mikm
03-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Very beautiful sunset pics ... I like the camp site fire in the foreground ... makes for a nice contrast ... oh, and that "deer" is nice too, lol :o .

KITKAT
03-08-2007, 12:31 PM
I absolutely love fishing, but I have little opportunity to hunt.

I'll have to find the photos of me with some of my catch(es) and post it!:D

Elliot
03-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Since this is a hunting thread, I'll post a dead animal picture. I hope nobody is offended. My bow is about a 1985 model PSE with round wheels (no cams)... practically a museum piece, I know. The draw weight is 68 lbs, and I still shoot aluminum arrows. When I'm not bow hunting, I also shoot a Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H magnum, a Browning A-bolt Medallion .300 Win Mag, a Savage 25-06, various shotguns, and .22 rifles. I still have a Marlin 30-30, but I haven't shot it in about 15 years.

Arctic sunset at about 1:30 AM in mid-September
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/FH000078.jpg
Believe me, this little stream is full of delicious arctic grayling (Thymallus arcticus).
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/FH000082.jpg
barren ground caribou (Rangifer tarandus)
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/DSC00033.JPG

Nice caribou! I love places where you can go out and it still seems truly wild.

adamanteus
03-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Rick, I'm guessing you dropped that caribou with an arrow? As they're in the picture. That's some shot, isn't it?

On another note "That's some bad hat, Harry!":D

abcat1993
03-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Woah, if only deer were that big... And too bad where I go hunting, it's on people's farms so there are cows and little dogs running around in the opposite field. Kind of scary when you're walking out in near pitch black and all of a sudden you hear a snort or run into a big, hairy, smelly thing.

adamanteus
03-09-2007, 04:51 PM
in near pitch black and all of a sudden you hear a snort or run into a big, hairy, smelly thing.

Hey, tell me about it...I've been married...twice!!:D

Cazador
03-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Hysterical!!! Anyway, yes... I took it with a bow and arrow. I spotted a group of caribou bulls from the road (across the river); drove upstream and floated down toward them before beginning the stalk. That particular animal was a real pleasure, but the story is long and might sound self-inflating, so I'll share the "after-kill" experience. After shooting this animal, I had to quarter and pack it about 1.5-2 miles to my awaiting raft and sleeping bag. It took two trips to get all the meat out (about 300 lbs), so I took one trip to the raft the same day I shot it and the rest of the meat out the following day. I stashed the meat away from the raft in case bears smelled it and came to investigate. Then I made a makeshift tent out of the raft and a blue tarp and had a great night's sleep inside the raft because I was warm, dry, exhausted, and essentially lying on an air mattress. When I awoke in the morning, it had apparently rained before the temperature dropped below freezing because there was a crust of ice over the outside of the tarp. After getting the second load of meat in the morning, I put all the meat and gear in the raft and floated it about 3 miles downstream to a place where the river and the road were only about a thousand yards (meters) apart. I hitch-hiked back to my truck (upstream) and brought it to my awaiting raft and meat; then I packed it and my gear back to the truck. It gives me a special sense of pleasure to share meat from those types of kills with people because of all the labor it takes to recover the meat and care for it properly... more so than buying steaks at the supermarket and inviting a friend over for dinner. That's just one more aspect of hunting that makes it so special to me.

Rick

adamanteus
03-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Self inflating or not, I'd like to hear it. There can be no doubt that it takes more than a small measure of skill and patience to stalk and kill an animal like that...in those conditions...with a bow and arrow!! Come on Rick, no need for modesty here, we sad folk who live in a city environment can feed for weeks on a decent tale!

Cazador
03-09-2007, 05:35 PM
I'll send a PM after I've had a chance to tell it properly.

abcat1993
03-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Send one to me too, if you want. And that's pretty cool, you sound like those guys that go "camping" for like, a billion years.

Elliot
03-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Send it to me too!!!

GarterGirl
03-16-2007, 04:29 PM
I've only went fishing once and I didn't even catch a fish! It was on a second grade class trip. (I'm in third grade now!)

stonyloam
03-17-2007, 12:45 AM
First off I think that this is about the best forum that I have ever visited. It is pretty interesting, the perch of Stefan-A looks a lot like what we call shad here. Below is what we call perch. I caught this one (biggest one ever) though the ice on Keuka Lake N.Y. a few years back 14 3/4 inches (37.5 cm hmmm That sounds a lot better in metric). Yes I did take it off of the wall for the photo.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/big_perch.jpg

Fishing is great, but turkey hunting is the best, nothing like getting out at 4:30 AM on a spring morning and listening to the world wake up and hopefully a big lovesick gobbler. I got this one on the last day of the season 15 minutes before close. It took two weekends of calling, and he gobbled at least 300 times, best time ever. He was pretty old and tough, but sure looks good on the wall. It's great to get a bird, but getting out is what is really important!
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/turkey.jpg

Cazador
03-17-2007, 01:58 AM
Love seeing those big old birds with their middle tail feathers shorter than their side ones ;).

Also your perch looks just like the ones I used to catch, only smaller ;) (okay yours is much bigger than the ones I used to catch :rolleyes:)

Stefan-A
03-17-2007, 03:55 AM
It is pretty interesting, the perch of Stefan-A looks a lot like what we call shad here.

Hold it right there, what I posted wasn't a perch.
Ide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ide)

We do have the same name for the same fish, our perch look pretty much the same as yours. Might not be the same species but it's at the very least the same genus.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/thamnoph/photos/perch-n-pike.jpg

Sorry, didn't have a better picture. :D

stonyloam
03-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Looks like what we call dinner Ummmmm....!!!

Elliot
03-17-2007, 09:29 AM
It is pretty interesting, the perch of Stefan-A looks a lot like what we call shad here. Below is what we call perch

lol nice fish/ turkey

stonyloam
03-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Sorry Stefan-A, I went back and reread the post. I guess my brain kind of skipped over the word Ide.

jewel-dragons
03-17-2007, 12:22 PM
ow yeah im a fly fisher!!!!!!

very nice at throuth,and other little fishes.
also with the streamer for big hunting fishes,i don't know the name inenglish :-)

i think i have no photo's.........

Elliot
03-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Where do you catch the big fish at? I might know what they are...

Stefan-A
03-17-2007, 06:49 PM
I've used streamers (huge ones, 20-25cm long) for pike, but the fish you'd normally catch with streamers would be salmon.

Just write the name in your own language and somebody will figure out what the name is in English. :)

jewel-dragons
03-19-2007, 03:13 PM
this is it.
the dutch name is snoek.

they are sweet water aggressive fishes....

here an photo :-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/kunomooren/Snoek_Oranjekanaal_Pike.jpg

Cazador
03-19-2007, 03:42 PM
We call them "northern pike" (Esox lucius). They're a riot to catch ;).

Stefan-A
03-19-2007, 03:46 PM
That's a pike alright. :) Wonderful to catch with ultralight equipment, I've had some really magnificent 30-minute battles with 4-6 kg (not especially big, but not small either) specimen.

jewel-dragons
03-20-2007, 02:17 PM
tje biggest Pike i catch with the streamer was around the 70 cm.

but with real fish was 121 cm and around the 28 pounds!!!!!

crazy to catch i can tell you hawhaw

reptileparadise
03-20-2007, 02:29 PM
i've always admired finland for the huge amounts of pike (and water :P )
biggest one i've caught was 73 cm...not much, but a great fight!

abcat1993
03-20-2007, 04:13 PM
In the BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area, on the border of US and Canada) they have some huge ones.

RedSided
04-08-2007, 05:39 PM
I love fishing and hunting, go fishing a lot in the summer, sea,carp,fly fishing, spinning , love it all.

As for hunting ,the gun restrictions in the UK aren't exactly helpfull.I still manage to get a lot of enjoyment out of shooing rabbits,crows,magpies,pigeons+ squirrels(grey) with my .22cal 12 ft lbs pre-charged air gun.
Sneaking up to within 20-30 yards of a rabbit is some task. Then when you loose off a shot and see it leap into the air and flash its belly, you know u hit it right in the cranium ...ahhhhhh :) . Then comes the skinning which always good unless of course you slip and split the intestine, then it becomes very unpleasent(you only do that once).

Heres my weapon of choice (this insn't a pic of mine but its the same gun with the same set up)

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/My_precious.JPG

Elliot
04-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Try sneaking up to 10 yards for a shot with a bow. :)

Odie
04-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Fishing is greatest in Oregon fly or spinning :p

Stefan-A
04-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Not a chance, Elliot. :D But try hitting a vole wih a rock from 15 meters away. ;)

http://koti.mbnet.fi/thamnoph/photos/rockvole1.jpg

Before you say anything about that method of "hunting"; It was an accident.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/thamnoph/photos/cz452-1.jpg

My weapon of choice, I guess. Voles (doing a bit of "varminting"), waterfowl, minks.. and I usually use it to kill what I trap (minks, raccoon dogs). Not much more you can do with the amount of land I have access to. Or a .22.. Probably going to join the university's hunting club next season.

Elliot
04-09-2007, 07:14 PM
lol cool where I live its not legal to shoot firearms n the city limits, I guess a bow is a fire arm but you can't erally hear it so no one complains. The only varmits I shoot are armadillos. :)

adamanteus
04-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Armadillos are classed as "varmints"?

adamanteus
04-09-2007, 07:40 PM
I always thought armadillos were pretty uncommon....Maybe that's Pangolins...similar creature, different continent!

RedSided
04-10-2007, 04:45 AM
Don't think you'r allowed to hunt anything in the UK with a bow or crossbow :( .Maybe deer , but not many around near me in Wales. I will probably apply for a shotgun licence at some point , but I find air rifles a lot more sporting ,only wish I could get a bow.

Elliot
04-10-2007, 02:58 PM
I always thought armadillos were pretty uncommon....Maybe that's Pangolins...similar creature, different continent!

There's lots of armadillos here (Texas, yes it's the same as the sterotype), and they like nothing more than tearing up the yard looking for grubs! They're actually pretty nasty, the smell terrible and they weigh alot.

adamanteus
04-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Really? Well, you live and learn!

abcat1993
04-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Elliot: I'd be careful if I were you. I shot an arrow at a target that was given to me by my grandfather (homemade), and it ricochet off the pipes that it was made out of, flew over my neighbors garage, and supposedly almost hit them.

jewel-dragons
04-12-2007, 08:02 AM
question..... what is the fun to shoot animals?????

i shoot also at a shootclub,but than at cards,i think i have more fun to shoot at cards than at animals :-S

this is still an animal forum..... right?

Stefan-A
04-12-2007, 09:41 AM
question..... what is the fun to shoot animals?????

i shoot also at a shootclub,but than at cards,i think i have more fun to shoot at cards than at animals :-S

this is still an animal forum..... right?
Shooting animals is not fun, hunting is. There's a difference. Some people get it and some people don't, it's just like keeping snakes in that respect. Being able to justify an action to the point that you are able to convince even the most fanatical opponent (just to be clear: I don't mean anybody specific) is not required or necessary.

It's a garter snake forum. We raise animals and we feed them animals we have gassed, frozen or beaten to death, or at the very least, we have sponsored the killings. While it may be necessary for the snakes to eat these animals to stay alive, we do not however have an excuse for keeping or breeding these snakes, as we do in fact create the need for these mice (and fish, and worms) to be killed. Our actions cause the death of these animals and each and every one of us can think about why we keep snakes and if it is worth the lives of all those small animals to satisfy our desires. We're all living in the same glass house here and just because something is out of sight and subsequently out of mind, doesn't make it any more ethical. We kill animals all the time through our actions, the only relevant difference is that hunters happen to kill animals themselves, instead of letting somebody else do it in order to keep a clean conscience.

jewel-dragons
04-12-2007, 10:19 AM
yes okay.... but we feed our animals with animals,but killing animals for human fun is crazy i think..... when you eat your animal after killed.... that's another story....

i'm really not an left site political person,just as right as can :-)

but killing animals for human fun..... i don't get the point.....

GGarter
04-12-2007, 10:31 AM
So true Stefan.

I know it's a cheap one, but to go out in the nature, track/spot and sneak up a prey, and finally to shoot it and then bring it home and eat it, I consider more human (if you can use that phrase:)) than to buy a pack of meat in the supermarket, that was made from a pig that spent its short life in a stable....

Plus I do believe it is our instinctive behaviour to be hunters, so no matter if you go hunting in the woods or the coolingboxes in the supermarket, animals die.

It does not mean you don't respect the animals as live creatures.

It can also have a nature regulating effect. I know at least here in Denmark, and parts of Norway and Sweden , we have to kill some deer to help the population stay strong and healthy, because the predators (wolfs, bears, wild cats etc.) that would normally pick out and take down the weak individuals, don't live here no more. Furthermore the populations in some areas, are so dense that many of the animals would starve and possibly be killed by winther cold.

Greets Tore

p.s.

I see what you mean but it is important to distinguish between "sadistic fun" like "haahaa i killed something" which I can't really relate to, or the sport and thrill of a hunt performed in a descent way.

Stefan-A
04-12-2007, 12:18 PM
yes okay.... but we feed our animals with animals,but killing animals for human fun is crazy i think..... when you eat your animal after killed.... that's another story....

Indeed we do feed our animals with animals, but the important thing to notice here, is that we choose to keep animals that need to be fed with animals and we do it for our own pleasure. We make killing necessary, because we want to keep snakes.

Saying that we need to eat an animal after it has been killed is just another arbitrary rule. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to kill animals and I'm probably speaking for 99.9% of all hunters when I say that blood lust is not one of them. Of the species I hunt, most are introduced species that don't belong in this ecosystem and have a negative impact on several other species. It actually benefits the biodiversity to hunt them.

Like GGarter pointed out, it's sometimes necessary to reduce populations, because there aren't enough predators out there doing that job. The problem with large predators is that they are incompatible with livestock and in some cases, humans. It's not possible to co-exist with large carnivores to the point where for example wolves would look after the elk population and make hunting elk unnecessary. It may be possible in certain remote areas, but that's it. Elk ("moose" if you're from North America), by the way, benefit enormously from the relatively developed forest industry here in Finland, since we plant new trees wherever we cut down trees and young plants happen to be an important part of the elk's diet. It's necessary for economical reasons to hunt them, since they cause a lot of damage to the forest industry. Some of them need to be killed and there aren't that many realistic alternatives. Another reason is security. Especially elk and deer cause a lot of traffic accidents that can be reduced through the hunting of those species.

Animals are just another resource, not unlike all those other living organisms that we use. As long as we use that resource sustainably, I don't see a problem.

drache
04-12-2007, 02:42 PM
I do believe that there are a variety of motives for, approaches to, and philosophies about hunting.
I believe that an animal cleanly killed by a skilled hunter, who has fully met that animal, and will consume and share it entirely, has met a better fate, than those who meet their deaths by the millions after, well . . . lives I'd rather not dwell on.

adamanteus
04-12-2007, 02:47 PM
It can be a very emotive subject. In the UK practically all forms of weapon are illegal so we would have to track an animal then fight it! So I shall abstain from giving an opinion on this one!

Elliot
04-12-2007, 03:17 PM

Most hunters will eat the animal they killed, that should be part of it. If you kill to kill its a problem, but hunting isn't murder like some people see it.

adamanteus
04-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Most hunters will eat the animal they killed, that should be part of it. If you kill to kill its a problem, but hunting isn't murder like some people see it.

So, you eat armadillo then Elliot.:rolleyes:

Josh
04-12-2007, 06:08 PM
i like fishing dont really catch much

abcat1993
04-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Well, my neighbor shoots squirrels, and doesn't eat them, to lower the population and save his garden.
And snakecatcher, nobody ever catches much (unless they're on those ships that pull a net through the water or something like it), but it's somehow fun to think of what you're going to catch, then eat. I love fishing.

Stefan-A
04-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Most hunters will eat the animal they killed, that should be part of it.
Most hunters also hunt species that have no value as food or clothing for wildlife management purposes.

Or maybe that's just a part of our local, ethically superior hunting culture. ;) :p

Cazador
04-13-2007, 12:52 AM
Yep, fishing pretty much stinks, but you know what they say...

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/Rick_with_41_fish.jpg

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/DSC02974.JPG

"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work :D."

adamanteus
04-13-2007, 06:07 AM
Looks like you had a pretty good day fishing, Rick! You could feed a few Garters with that lot. Are those halibut in the second picture?

drache
04-13-2007, 06:16 AM
Yep, fishing pretty much stinks, but you know what they say...
"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work :D."

judging from the pics, that wasn't a bad day either
maybe you should give up your other job

Cazador
04-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Yes, those are halibut in the second picture. I think the biggest one in that picture is around 55-60 lbs (27 kg).

We Alaskan residents are able to go "dipnetting" and catch many salmon in a single day, so that day's salmon catch lasts for almost a year. Some is smoked, canned, made into dips or jerky, or baked.

abcat1993
04-13-2007, 03:45 PM
You can make salmon jerky? As in beef jerky? I have to try that then, as beef and deer jerky are possibly my favorite dry food (yes, better than Oreos).

Cazador
04-13-2007, 03:57 PM
King salmon (Oncorhynchus tschawytcha) jerky is fantastic!

Rick

adamanteus
04-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Can you pronounce that specific name, Rick?:D :p

Cazador
04-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Yes, txchawytcha... Awww, dangit!

Stefan-A
04-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Drying fish is something that every culture has done at some point or another. Stays edible for years if it's made and stored properly.

Reindeer jerky is the best I've come across, especially when produced the traditional way, which I'm not able to do myself. Have made beef jerky about a dozen times.

adamanteus
04-14-2007, 02:27 AM
Jerky isn't something we often come across in the UK, which is a shame. I have tried jerky when I've been abroad and liked it. I guess the closest thing we have in the UK to dried fish, is kippers; smoked whole herring. Very nice!

Stefan-A
04-14-2007, 02:58 AM
I don't think kipper (yes, we have that too ;) ) even comes close to being jerked. It's good though.

adamanteus
09-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Last night, when I got home from work, Molly (now four years old) asked if I'd take her fishing........So this morning I hired some tackle and took her to a well stocked local fishing pool.

To be honest, I thought she might lack the patience to sit and wait for a fish to bite.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//537/medium/Molly_fishing.jpg

Within a few minutes she proved me wrong by bringing in a very nice Mirror Carp. We may have a future champion on our hands.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//537/medium/Mirror_carp.jpg

Josh
09-29-2007, 03:31 PM
nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

adamanteus
09-29-2007, 03:33 PM
I was really pleased....she's never been before, and I don't fish. I don't even know where she suddenly got the idea from, but she took to it really well. I think we'll go again.

Josh
09-29-2007, 03:42 PM
wow my first time was not similar lol

Stefan-A
09-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Looks fun. :)

Although, pools can never replace the real experience. ;)

http://koti.mbnet.fi/thamnoph/photos/fishing0.jpg

http://koti.mbnet.fi/thamnoph/photos/fishing1.jpg

What's the forum policy on blood 'n guts? I have a hunting picture from this summer, but it's not pretty.

adamanteus
09-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Looks fun. :)
Although, pools can never replace the real experience. ;)

Yes, but Stefan, she's only just four!!! Give her another year and she'll be landing Marlin!

Stefan-A
09-29-2007, 03:59 PM
I meant the location. :) I doubt you have marlin ponds there.:D

adamanteus
09-29-2007, 04:49 PM
I think there might be Marlin in the local canal.:D I know there are sheep in there, although I've only ever seen a dead one.:eek:

drache
09-29-2007, 05:13 PM
I think she may not have the body mass to swing a sheep just yet
congrats on the fish she caught though

RZL36
09-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Fishing is fun. Hunting is confusing. I like bird hunting, but really am not into mammal hunting.

Lori P
09-30-2007, 04:03 PM
James, she is ADORABLE!!! And such talent!! :-)

adamanteus
09-30-2007, 04:05 PM
She is. My little star.:)