PDA

View Full Version : Heavy duty enclosure

guidofatherof5
06-03-2009, 06:31 PM
For the past week I've been putting up with a lot of grief at work. One of the other deputies has been rubbing in to me the fact he located a free glass case that he was going to convert into a gun display case. He kept telling me how it would make a great snake cage but that I would never have the chance to do it, since it was his find.
Tonight, he call me to get my address. Seems he took his wife with him when he went to pick it up. Once his wife saw it she informed him it would not enter her house and especially her livingroom.
He pulled up in my driveway and I was speechless(yes, me speechless). This thing is huge. It's a very large computer server rack. I'm guessing it has a value of 4 to 5,000.00 dollars. It's also very, very heavy. Did I mention it was heavy. It's actually 3 server racks connected. Each case has it's own set of wheels. While I stood there looking at it, the cogs were turning. What if I gut it and lay it one its side. This way the glass door will hinge to the bottom and hang completely out of the way. I can build wooden inserts to slide in to each rack. It comes with built in cooling fans for ventilation. When I gut this thing I'll also get 4 very nice power stripes. and heavy duty plug-ends. The big chore will be gutting this thing and taking it apart. I can't wait to get started.
That do you think?
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/glass_case.jpg

Here's the thing on it's side.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/side_case.jpg

count dewclaw
06-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Looks like you have your work cut out for yourself. Loads of potential. Can't wait to see the finished product. We will need progress reports with photos, of course! :)

TwistidMutations
06-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Wow that would make great vivariums! and free? now thats what i'm talking about

Sid
06-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Congrat's, Steve. I'll be waiting for progress reports with photos too.

Snake lover 3-25
06-03-2009, 07:23 PM
wow that's crazy!!!!! awesome! :D

Zephyr
06-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Sweet mother of potatoes.
That looks massive.

guidofatherof5
06-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Okay, the hard part isn't going to be gutting it. With the help of my 12 year old son that chore is almost finished. When I told him what the project was he lit-up. "I get to tear something apart", he said. Looks like they will come apart pretty easily,too. Then it's down to the basement. The front doors are not glass but plexiglass. Not sure if I will screen front them or not. Ventilation looks like it will be the biggest problem.
I can't believe I have these thing. By the time I get all these and the other enclosers built I should be able to comfortably house 2 maybe 3 thousand radixes:D

gregmonsta
06-04-2009, 04:33 AM
Wow Steve!!! Those will make excellent vivs!!! :D

wolfpacksved
06-04-2009, 07:09 AM
Once his wife saw it she informed him it would not enter her house and especially her livingroom.
lol , well we know who wears the gun belt in that household. there's alot of potential for that case, and it could house many garters! ever get the urge to arrest any person caught in the act of intentionally running over snakes or turtles? i get serious visual-anti tendencies when i see people pull that stuff.

guidofatherof5
06-04-2009, 08:10 AM
ever get the urge to arrest any person caught in the act of intentionally running over snakes or turtles? i get serious visual-anti tendencies when i see people pull that stuff.

I think that sort of thing happens a lot especially with Garters. While in the report reading time of my morning the conversation turned to Garter snakes. I wasn't feeling the love from the people in the room. When I tried to pin them down as to what they didn't like about them, they really couldn't tell me other than "it's a snake".

wolfpacksved
06-04-2009, 08:35 AM
the ole' "it's a snake!" response. i know what you mean. timber rattlers, for example, are barely holding on in my state, and full protection is granted. yet, conservation officers still turn a blind eye to discriminate killing and poaching of these animals. i know there are some good CO's out there, but the ones I have talked to don't seem to know diddly squat about wildlife.

Stefan-A
06-04-2009, 09:55 AM
ever get the urge to arrest any person caught in the act of intentionally running over snakes or turtles? i get serious visual-anti tendencies when i see people pull that stuff.

I've raised a disapproving middle finger a few times.

Quibble
06-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Wow, Steve. It looks like you robbed a radio shack or something with that thing! lol

bkhuff1s
06-04-2009, 11:05 AM
I keep thinking that it would make a rediculously large incubator....

guidofatherof5
06-07-2009, 07:29 AM
After much work and a sore back, I separated the units out and got them to the basement. I need to put them back together, pull 12 support posts out and install the enclosure boxes. I'm trying to incorporate some of the electronics that came with it since they look really cool (guy thing). I'll need to locate someone to rewire a few things. I've got the lights and heaters bought already. I'm hoping to have these thing in working order in about a month. I do need the enclosure space.

guidofatherof5
06-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Gutted, and put back together. My builder is coming over tomorrow to get measurements on the inserts. After that some wiring and they're good to go.
Then I just have to flip it on its side. Rotating the photo is the easy part.:D
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/computer_box.jpg

gregmonsta
06-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Wow!!!! THE veritable radix party pad :D

guidofatherof5
06-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Wow!!!! THE veritable radix party pad :D

I'm hoping it will get me an article in T.radix Magazine.
The producers of Radix Gone Wild:eek: have already given me a call, but I turned them down. I won't have my little scrubs exploited like that. All they care about is ratings. They don't care about the broken lives left after the show. :D

jitami
06-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Nice Steve. It has such great potential!

guidofatherof5
08-10-2009, 01:30 PM
I found the time to start making these server boxes into some great enclosures. The first photo is after I installed the boxes and wired the top for lights. That's my youngest Hailee.
The second photo is after I installed the tile flooring and sides(anti-poop smearing control). The top box(penthouse)is where Lucky and a couple close friends(no not my daughter Gabby)will live. I still have to install the floor heating but it's coming along. They measure 6.5 foot long, 33 inches deep and 22 inches tall. This double box will be set on 35 inch pedestals. The third is a single box and will share a center pedestal. They will take up the entire east wall of the snake room. Hoping to have them done by tomorrow night.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/great_boxes.jpg
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/great_box1.jpg

gregmonsta
08-10-2009, 02:03 PM
That's looking fantastic Steve!!! :D

drache
08-10-2009, 05:04 PM
ooohhh - all that space
I am super envious

Mommy2many
08-10-2009, 05:45 PM
All that makes me want to live there! What lucky snakes!

count dewclaw
08-10-2009, 05:58 PM
I am not jealous, I am not jealous, I am not jealous......maybe if I say it often enough I will believe it......then again, probably not.:o

Those are looking great!

guidofatherof5
08-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Lucky(Gabby's radix) made a request and didn't have the heart to tell her No. The heated hide area was first going to only have sticky back tile. She requested imported Italian ceramic tile so I gave in. I fiqure it will conduct and hold the heat better. Okay, I must admit she picked a good pattern and it looks very nice.:D
I did say no to the jacuzzi though.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/great_box_2.jpg

Snake lover 3-25
08-10-2009, 06:50 PM
wow looks GREAT so far!! can't wait to see more!

Mommy2many
08-11-2009, 08:43 AM
How are you heating the tile?

guidofatherof5
08-11-2009, 09:10 AM
How are you heating the tile?
Underside reptile pad.

I tested it last night and found not enough heat was getting through. I'm going to build a double tile enclosure for the heat pad. I'll wrap the heat pad in the tiles. Should work well, in theory. I'll post a photo when I have it done.

jitami
08-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Coming along nicely, Steve!

ssssnakeluvr
08-11-2009, 10:19 AM
I have chewed a few people, threatened with state statute on killing reptiles....only legal way is if it's a rattlesnake in your own yard...generally we prefer calling animal control (wildlife officers rarely respond) and the reptile rescue. everyone I have "threatened" with state laws has never bothered a snake again..... :D

work kinda precludes me from that famous middle finger wave......not the best thing to do while in uniform in a county truck....dang it!!!

Didymus20X6
08-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I have chewed a few people, threatened with state statute on killing reptiles....only legal way is if it's a rattlesnake in your own yard...generally we prefer calling animal control (wildlife officers rarely respond) and the reptile rescue. everyone I have "threatened" with state laws has never bothered a snake again..... :D

work kinda precludes me from that famous middle finger wave......not the best thing to do while in uniform in a county truck....dang it!!!
When you are in uniform, threatening people with the law works well, since they will see it as you doing your job. But when you're a civilian like me, the law isn't as much of a threat.

Zephyr
08-11-2009, 01:31 PM
SWEET JESUS.
That is one AMAZING snake tank! :eek::eek::eek:
Very lucky snakes you have. :P

guidofatherof5
08-11-2009, 03:18 PM
SWEET JESUS.
That is one AMAZING snake tank! :eek::eek::eek:
Very lucky snakes you have. :P

The best part, it was free. I'll have about $75 to $100 in all three of them when I'm done. The friend that gave them to me was going to convert them to gun cases but his wife said, and I quote "I'm not having those ugly things in my living room". Everytime I bring these cases up to him he gives me this terrible look and says I robbed him. I tell him to talk to his wife about it. Possession is 9/10 of the law and I have possession.

GradStudentLeper
08-11-2009, 07:27 PM

I fantasize about putting rubber snakes on the road that have spikes inside them. Place them in spots on the road where someone has to swerve to run it over. Rip apart their tires. But no... I could kill someone.

I have a friend though who actually chased one down and kicked the living crap out of them on a desert road...

As for the cages... Glorious! You realize that with the amount of space you will have you can set up what is basically a wet meadow or forest margin creek habitat that is credible right?

guidofatherof5
08-11-2009, 08:04 PM
As for the cages... Glorious! You realize that with the amount of space you will have you can set up what is basically a wet meadow or forest margin creek habitat that is credible right?

I realize no such thing, explain. Please.

GradStudentLeper
08-12-2009, 10:25 AM
I realize no such thing, explain. Please.

Ok, first thing is first, make your substrate (you will want a layer 3-4 inches thick). You want a mix of the following: Peat based potting soil, sand (not too much), fir bark mulch, and fired clay. Basically mix those until you get something similar to a nice natural soil. The advantage of these soils is that once established they contain aerobic bacteria (non-pathogenic ones) that break down waste and dont cause horrific odors.

Care and feeding of soil:

Allow the top third to dry, but then mist and stir the soil. This simulates natural patterns of drying and recolonization. The snakes own waste products feed the soil bacteria. You might need to scoop out some solids occassionally.

Depending on how well you can light these things, you can put either live, or artificial plants in, forest or wet meadow biotope (just like what Radix lives in). In either case you can add branches and rocks. Also, depending on what you can do water wise, you might be able to put in either flowing water, or several large burried water bowls that will simulate the snake's natural habitat.

Happy happy snakes will be the result of this, with minimal maintenance for you, as most of it takes care of itself.

guidofatherof5
08-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the follow up.

guidofatherof5
08-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Things are coming along. The pedestal idea turned into enclosures. I just have to install doors, lights and heat. Have new snakes coming in the mail tomorrow so I don't think I'll have much time to finish things up.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/Boxes.jpg

count dewclaw
08-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Those are looking good!

What snakes are coming tomorrow? We'll need pictures, of course!

guidofatherof5
08-12-2009, 10:00 PM
I have 1.1 red radix, 1.1. high-red T.s.p and 1.1 hypo banded water snakes. Should have them before 11am.

justme
08-13-2009, 01:00 AM
Wow. Very creative!!! Your enclosures look great and of course your snakes will be better off for it! I wish I could do fun projects like this with my son but I can hardly get him to take out the trash! Sigh... Looking forward to seeing more photos and of the new snakes! Great work!

jamromhem
08-13-2009, 03:13 PM
very nice. didn't see this before. It was a good find thanks to your friend :P

guidofatherof5
08-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Two of the three are up and running. I've got lights in the other and will be loading it up later today. Will shoot some photos and get them posted later.
Put my T.s.parietalis in their enclosure and the smaller ones immediately located a security issue. It was an issue only that box had. Designed a couple of latches for each end of the door and solved that problem. Been a learning experience. I'm not very good with wood. Engines and computer I can do. Wood is another subject.
I can cut a board 3 times and it will still be too short.:D

guidofatherof5
06-09-2012, 07:10 PM
It's been almost 3 years since these enclosures went into service and I finally got around to making a modification to one of them.
I love the enclosures but was forced to install a ventilation system as there wasn't any airflow.
Today was a complete cleaning day for this enclosure so after pulling everything out I removed the plexiglass from the doors and install screens in the frame.
Eventually I will convert the other two plexiglass doors to screens.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/screened.jpg

CoffeeBlack
06-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Looking good!

ProXimuS
06-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Thats an awesome projecet you've done Steve. I'd love to have a big setup like that, but don't have any room now. But soon.....:D

guidofatherof5
06-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Thats an awesome projecet you've done Steve. I'd love to have a big setup like that, but don't have any room now. But soon.....:D

Thanks. It was well worth the time.

d_virginiana
06-09-2012, 09:48 PM
I think I've seen the pics of those enclosures before, but still, holy crap! I want giant enclosures like that... Then I'd have to go find snakes to put in them...

kueluck
06-10-2012, 10:33 AM
WOW!! That will make for one happy nest. It's awesome that you have the space to do this in. My living room is my reptile/amphibian room. (5 vivs going).

Spankenstyne
06-10-2012, 11:56 AM
I thought I had replied before but WOW, fantastic! Great to see such nice roomy enclosures. Nice job Steve.

kerensa
06-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Things are coming along. The pedestal idea turned into enclosures. I just have to install doors, lights and heat. Have new snakes coming in the mail tomorrow so I don't think I'll have much time to finish things up.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/Boxes.jpg

I guess I need some serious help. I looked at this pic and thought "well there's space for a few more enclosures... why not just build them now too?"

-MARWOLAETH-
06-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Does T.s.p refer to pickeringii?Enclosures are looking good:D

Invisible Snake
06-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Does T.s.p refer to pickeringii?Enclosures are looking good:D

RED SIDED GARTER SNAKE
(Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis)

guidofatherof5
06-24-2012, 12:49 PM
T.s.p. Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis (Red Sided garter) was my reference.

-MARWOLAETH-
06-24-2012, 01:03 PM
T.s.p. Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis (Red Sided garter) was my reference.i don goofed:o

Thamnophis
06-25-2012, 03:07 AM
That is a mighty fine project, Steve. The snakes will love that much room!

Steveo
06-25-2012, 10:21 AM
I guess I need some serious help. I looked at this pic and thought "well there's space for a few more enclosures... why not just build them now too?"

SO MUCH empty space left on that wall :D I need to get out of my apartment and into a house soon so I can do something like this.

kerensa
06-25-2012, 12:25 PM
SO MUCH empty space left on that wall :D I need to get out of my apartment and into a house soon so I can do something like this.

maybe I'm not as far gone as I first thought...

Steveo
06-25-2012, 12:33 PM
maybe I'm not as far gone as I first thought...

One day, my man cave will have an entire wall that looks like an enormous entertainment center but is actually a bunch of 2"x10"s with plywood backings and plexiglass doors :cool:

Just have to run it by the fiance first...

kerensa
06-25-2012, 12:37 PM
One day, my man cave will have an entire wall that looks like an enormous entertainment center but is actually a bunch of 2"x10"s with plywood backings and plexiglass doors :cool:

Just have to run it by the fiance first...

Hmmm. sounds good. except the permission bit. the correct Fiance would be enthusiastic...

guidofatherof5
07-02-2012, 10:53 PM
I did a retro-fit to the other 2 enclosures this evening. Now, all 3 have screen fronts. This means I can turn off the ventilation fans to those enclosures.
Saving a little money and cutting down on the noise in the snake room and elimination the interference to my T.V.
I think the snakes like it or at least they were checking it out when I shut the lights off.
I post a couple photo in the morning. For now it's bedtime.

guidofatherof5
07-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Here's the finished produce. I like it as I can interact with the snake much better. The concinnus female are in the top enclosure and have been laying out front all morning. When it was plexiglass they didn't do that.
Glad this project is over.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/big_enclosure_screens.jpg

ProXimuS
07-03-2012, 11:47 AM
That's a really cool setup!! I can see a couple snakes in there enjoying front:p