PDA

View Full Version : New To Garters...

maxmommy
08-07-2009, 06:07 AM
This is my garter snakes (I have three) first night out here in California. I purchased them online from a reputable source where I have purchased many herps before.
My question is; I now have them in two enclosures; the large one in a screened home and the other two are housed in a 10 gallon vivarium. My question is this; should I have a heat lamp on them at night? They are outdoors right now with a warming mat under the cages. They have 3 inches of pine substrate and a cover to hide in. The nights have been in the 60's and I am wondering if the ground mat is enough for these evenings.

GradStudentLeper
08-07-2009, 10:25 AM
This is my garter snakes (I have three) first night out here in California. I purchased them online from a reputable source where I have purchased many herps before.
My question is; I now have them in two enclosures; the large one in a screened home and the other two are housed in a 10 gallon vivarium. My question is this; should I have a heat lamp on them at night? They are outdoors right now with a warming mat under the cages. They have 3 inches of pine substrate and a cover to hide in. The nights have been in the 60's and I am wondering if the ground mat is enough for these evenings.

What species are they? If they are sirtalis or elegans they should be fine.

mustang
08-07-2009, 02:44 PM
was the source reptilesncritters?

maxmommy
08-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Here are a few pics of some of my babies: My two wirehaired dachshunds, "Max" and "Angie", my red-eared slider (one of two), my redfoot tortoise (hittin' the Jack Daniels ;)) and my NEWEST baby, " Skippy" the snake! (one of three). Now, is he/she an Indonesian Keelback?

guidofatherof5
08-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Looks like a Keelback to me. Beautiful snake.:)

count dewclaw
08-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I agree with Steve, looks like a keelback.

GradStudentLeper
08-08-2009, 11:53 PM
It does not look like a keelback. It is a keelback.

maxmommy
08-09-2009, 11:28 AM
LOL! 3 yays ,0 nays...Keelback it is! Now I am going to look for some posts on these guys..I can't help but feel my keelbacks are doomed! I gotta find someone who has had good luck with them....

Didymus20X6
08-09-2009, 11:39 AM
The company you ordered them from probably listed them with a scientific classification. You can Google (http://www.google.com) that classification, and it will tell you exactly what it is.

Did you know that Google (http://www.google.com/) is the only thing more powerful than Chuck Norris?

According to Wikipedia, people sometimes market these keelbacks as "Canadian Garter Snakes". Weird, since real Canadian Garters Snakes are pretty much the same Thamnophis found in the US.

guidofatherof5
08-09-2009, 03:25 PM
LOL! 3 yays ,0 nays...Keelback it is! Now I am going to look for some posts on these guys..I can't help but feel my keelbacks are doomed! I gotta find someone who has had good luck with them....

I wouldn't say doomed. They have you. A Vet. fecal screen, the right food and habitat and they could very well have a long life. I myself would love to have a breeding pair. Getting them just adds to their troubles. C.B are what I'm looking for and I would jump at the chance to own them. I think they are beautiful.
Good luck and keep us posted on them.

mustang
08-20-2009, 09:44 AM
reptilesncritters cant tell which scientific name goes with which common name ,always google scientific name

Didymus20X6
08-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Google

The only power in the verse
greater than Chuck Norris!

Brought to you by the Way Too Much
Time On His Hands Commission.