PDA

View Full Version : Would my Adult Garter eat a baby garter

snakems
10-26-2009, 09:21 PM
if I tried to house them together? .... I've found another baby garter in my bulkhead! and dont think it would be a good idea to put him/or her in my current garter's tank so I've kept it in a medium sized tote for now. but out of curiosity I was wondering if adult garter try to eat babies when housed together? or do people just never do this anyway?
thanks for any answer to my possibly stupid question! lol

guidofatherof5
10-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Never a stupid question.
Housing babies with adults can lead to feeding accidents. Also, large adults could injure the babies due to their size. You need to keep that baby quarantined from your other snakes. You don't want to introduce any parasites or other problems.

gregmonsta
10-27-2009, 05:59 AM
Sound advice there ;)

snakems
10-27-2009, 06:58 PM
ok dont worry I will not expose them to eachother, as I do plan on putting it outside of the bulkhead on a warm day VERY soon! But out of curiosity can anyone tell me whether or not adult garters do consider snakes small enough, food? ... I dont ever plan on housing them together but after seeing this baby I realize how teeny he is and that the worms I feed my snake now are bigger than he/she is! Im wondering if they differentiate between the two because i know they would eat small amphibians etc.
thanks to anyone with some answers... it's just my inquiring mind getting the best of me as usual lol
:o:)

ssssnakeluvr
10-27-2009, 08:50 PM
wandering garters have been known to eat their babies... if they aren't close in size, best to keep them separated.

guidofatherof5
10-27-2009, 08:50 PM
I think that as a rule garters don't consider other garter snakes as food. I do believe that feeding accidents occur. I personally know that I would have lost snakes to this situation if I didn't monitor all feeding activity.
I think that Stefan has made reference to Thamnophis elegans vagrans as having a propensity to cannibalism. I hope I have my info. correct.

KITKAT
10-27-2009, 09:53 PM
I once had a pair together for mating. The female was large, the male was small. I left the room for a half hour and came back. The male was 1/3 down the craw of the female!:eek:

I actually took hold of both snakes in a panic and exerted a gentle steady pull. After what seemed like a long time, the female began to regurgitate, the male came out, and he lived!:cool:

BTW, these were normal easterns.

Stefan-A
10-28-2009, 12:08 AM
I think that Stefan has made reference to Thamnophis elegans vagrans as having a propensity to cannibalism. I hope I have my info. correct.
Confirmed.

Charis
10-28-2009, 10:16 AM
You probably figured this out already, but Wandering & elegans vagrans are the same thing.

snakems
10-28-2009, 09:21 PM
You probably figured this out already, but Wandering & elegans vagrans are the same thing.

lol thanks! :)

snakems
10-28-2009, 09:22 PM
thanks for all the info to anyone who answered! :)