PDA

View Full Version : start with a 10 or 20 Gallon???

CRIKEY!
11-15-2009, 10:55 AM
I would like to get a baby this spring/summer, so I have all winter to prepare. Do you think I should start with 10 Gallon Critter Cage or a 20 L Critter Cage? If I start with a 10g...how long would it be before I would have to upgrade to larger size?
Thanks! :D

guidofatherof5
11-15-2009, 11:27 AM
They grow quickly. If you can start with the larger one that would be best. They do like to cruise their world. A large tank gives you more room to give them interesting things to explore. A bigger water/bath area. I know all of mine would love to have double the swimming space.
Starting now is a good idea. It gives you plenty of time to figure out which substrate to use, live or plastic plants, hides, water dish, heating, lighting and of course security issues.
Best of luck and keep us informed on your progress.

confused
11-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Sigh. My garter is afraid of water.:D

CRIKEY!
11-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the good advice Steve. I'm all for saving some money in the long run too. If I got the 20, I guess I would have to get a lot of hides for a baby. How many hides do you recommend?

aSnakeLovinBabe
11-15-2009, 11:42 AM
It ultimately will depend on the sex of the snake. If it's a male he could live his entire life comfortably in a 10 gallon. If it's a female, probably the first 2 years it would be fine in a 10, but most female garters get a lot larger and I couldn't see them being too comfortable in a 10. Not that it wouldn't be do-able, but I know my garters well and they use ALL the space you give them! If you think you are going to eventually upgrade with a 20L regardless, I would simply start with that and be done with it. Unless, you get a 10, grow up your snake, and then get that one a 20, and then get a little male for the 10... :D see how this starts?! it's crazy!!!

As for hideys, you can never have too many places to hide! But a baby would probably feel a little lost in a 20 long. If you want to utilize a 20L for a baby provide 2 or even 3 small water bowls spaced throughout the tank to ensure he finds water. Then you can use paper tubes, pieces of cardboard, wood, rocks, pre-made hide boxes, or even black socks as things to hide in and under. They like to squish themselves into tight spaces, so big, open hides are not ideal. One thing my youngun's like is when I take those woven enclosed bird nests and stuff them with moss. Hit up your local dollar store for some cheap fake plants, they love plants! Another fun one is to take a black sock and staple the opening of it round a cardboard tube, so you get a nice entrance and then a tight space at the back. You would just have to be careful at feeding time, that you don't scare the daylights out of him when you are looking for him because then he probably will refuse food. That's the one major downfall to a large tank for a baby, sometimes they are hard to find and you end up scaring them!

guidofatherof5
11-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the good advice Steve. I'm all for saving some money in the long run too. If I got the 20, I guess I would have to get a lot of hides for a baby. How many hides do you recommend?

I give mine a hide in the warm end and some other cover where it's cooler. This way they can decide where they want to be. Mine go into the hide, get warmed up then do some cruising or hit the pool to cool down. I suggest a under the tank heater. No heat rocks. Unless things have changed they are unreliable and can cause burns. I would also stay away from hanging lights. Just when you think they can't reach it they will and it could result in burns or an escape. A tank with a sliding screen lid that snaps and locks in is best. I've picked up a few breeder tanks at yard sales and off Craigslist.com for next to nothing. A good scrubbing with some bleach cleaner and your good-to-go.

CRIKEY!
11-15-2009, 12:03 PM
I was thinking of getting a female. If I get her a 20L, what size UTH would be appropriate? I like these ones from Big Apple Herpetological:
IntelliTemp Reptile Heat Mats for Less (http://www.bigappleherp.com/Intellitemp-Reptile-Heat-Mats)

Or should I save some money and get the Zoo Med ones from Petco?

aSnakeLovinBabe
11-15-2009, 12:10 PM
you could opt for a basking lamp instead :D

Garters LOVE, love, love to bask! If I have problem feeders, the situation is often remedied by placing them into a cage that has an overhead lamp, even if it doesn't give off heat. It's really nice to turn on those lights in the morning and watch them religiously come out and curl up under that light.... it never fails! They have such a strong urge to lay underneath a light it's amazing!

CRIKEY!
11-15-2009, 12:22 PM
How are the Zoo Med Reptisun Terrium Hoods for light?
Zoo Med Reptisun Terrarium Hood Reptile Light Fixtures (http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-light-fixtures/517291/zoo-med-reptisun-terrarium-hood.html)

I'd rather not have a heat lamp if possible. I used to have them for my turtles and green iguana and I was always afraid of fires.

guidofatherof5
11-15-2009, 12:38 PM
How are the Zoo Med Reptisun Terrium Hoods for light?

Zoo Med Reptisun Terrarium Hood Reptile Light Fixtures (http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-light-fixtures/517291/zoo-med-reptisun-terrarium-hood.html)

Looks like it goes on top of the screen. Good and safe.
Save yourself some money and buy used as much as you can. Your snake won't care and the money save can be used for pinkies and other good foods for it. I've tried the store bought hides and my snake don't used then as much as a good old cardboard box. When your walking around Walmart or any other store and they're stocking shelves, ask for the boxes that would make good hides. Free is great.
With that being said, nothing looks nicer than a full blown setup that grabs your attention when you see it. It's up to you which way to go.

Charis
11-15-2009, 05:27 PM
I haven't tried the heat mat you were looking at on Big Apple, but I have 3 of their Dragon's Lair ones. I like them way better than the Zoo Med one I've got. The shipping from Big Apple is expensive, but where I got 3 mats at one time, it actually made them a little less expensive than the Zoo Med ones at Petco. So if you had some other things you wanted to get from them that might make the shipping more cost effective. The thing I like about the Dragon's Lair over the Zoo Med is that they don't get as hot, you still need a rheostat or thermastat, but unregulated my Zoo Med will get to 120 degrees, the Dagon's Lair will get to 100 degrees, which is still too hot, but it takes it way longer to get that high, so you would have more time to notice if something is wrong with your rheostat.

CRIKEY!
11-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Unless, you get a 10, grow up your snake, and then get that one a 20, and then get a little male for the 10... :D see how this starts?! it's crazy!!!
I like it...I can see how the disease begins. LOL!

I've tried the store bought hides and my snake don't used then as much as a good old cardboard box. When your walking around Walmart or any other store and they're stocking shelves, ask for the boxes that would make good hides. Free is great.
You reminded me when I was a kid, I had a pet Eastern ribbon and I used a cigar box for a hide. I loved it because I could open the top and peek.

I haven't tried the heat mat you were looking at on Big Apple, but I have 3 of their Dragon's Lair ones. I like them way better than the Zoo Med one I've got.
Yeah...I like the Dragon's Lair too.