PDA

View Full Version : Garter Wont eat

dannyj
03-29-2007, 02:09 PM
I have 4 Chequered Garters - 3 all eating fine and all getting bigger.

1 wont eat and is smaller than the rest also a shade of brown darker -

Iv tried it on pinkies and also fish.

Iv seperated it from the rest and gave it its own space see if that makes a difference but upto now no change

Any tips??

KITKAT
03-29-2007, 02:11 PM
Try live earthworms.

How long has it been warmed up (if you brumated it)?

Also try seperating it from the others for a day and see if it eats better. Some snakes know they are the smallest/weakest, and are afraid to eat if the others are agressive eaters.

If that does not do the trick, consult a vet about parasite treatment. Parasites can make a snake feel icky, and off its feed.

I'm sure others will chime in here with more suggestions!;)

dannyj
03-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Its only a young snake iv not had it long so not brumated.

I have the feeling it is afraid like you say - it tends to hide alot.

earthworms - wow can i just dig them up in the garden or buy cultured ones from online shop?

KITKAT
03-29-2007, 02:24 PM
You will need to feed nightcrawlers, not red wigglers. You can get them from the garden, but you must be VERY careful that pesticides are never applied on that parcel of land, and never drift over on the wind from the neighbor's yard.

I usually get mine from the bait store, where I know they have a good history of selling me wholesome, healthy, bait animals (minnows and nightcrawlers).

If you are feeding a snake too small to eat a whole nightcrawler, then use a pair of old scissors. Wash the scissors and cut the nightcrawler into small sections... they will still eat it.

Cazador
03-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Nightcrawlers are a great idea to get your snake started eating. Eventually (not right away), you'll want to add vitamins and calcium powder to the worms. The first priority is to get the snake eating on its own.

It's also great that you've separated it, but you might also try putting a blanket over at least part of it's enclosure when it's eating, so it can't see you. It'll also feel more secure that way. You might also offer the food, then leave the room right away. I bet, as mentioned, that it's an intimidation/security issue.

Rick

dannyj
03-29-2007, 02:46 PM
I will ring a fishing shop near me tomorrow - I dont know any reptile shops that sell worms near me.

I will try all said

CrazyHedgehog
03-29-2007, 02:51 PM
earthworms - wow can i just dig them up in the garden or buy cultured ones from online shop?

yes dig them up, make sure that they are not the dark red ones (these are poisonous) but the lighter pink ones..
As a guide, usually the ones you have to dig for are ok, the ones under compost, plastic bags etc are toxic..(if you compare some you will see what we mean..)

I also use trout to scent, and add a few small bits cut up..
Yes, buy trout from Asda on the fresh fish stand, cut it into tiny bits ands freeze it to use again...

dannyj
03-29-2007, 02:53 PM
I also use trout to scent, and add a few small bits cut up..
Yes, buy trout from Asda on the fresh fish stand, cut it into tiny bits ands freeze it to use again...

What bones the lot? or fillet?

CrazyHedgehog
03-29-2007, 03:04 PM
I cut the whole fish into small slices to freeze, and often cut smaller with scissors for feeding, I try and leave some bone in, but on small pieces, the bone can be quite sharp...so in answer, yes if I can without risking hurting the snake with sharp bones...but don't worry too much, the important thing at the moment is to get him to eat..

I often cut a pinkie up with some trout bits, mix well and leave in the tank, the smell of the fish usually gets them going...once they start eating, they usually eat everything thats there...

dannyj
03-29-2007, 03:10 PM
I really hope so - not sexed any of them yet but pretty sure by observation hes the only male - lucky boy:)

adamanteus
03-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Hi Danny, I agree with KITKAT and Cazador. Feed him on his own, with the minimum of disturbance from yourself and I bet he'll be fine.

Have you given him plenty of hiding opportunities? What's the temperature in his tank? Is he only a baby? If so, don't leave it too long before you seek further help. Good luck.

dannyj
03-29-2007, 03:28 PM
at a guess i would say its at least a couple of month old - the others are growing alot faster - iv only had them a week n half - i have seperated it from the others - it has plenty of hiding places but tends to hide under the substrate along side another snake

Hi Danny, I agree with KITKAT and Cazador. Feed him on his own, with the minimum of disturbance from yourself and I bet he'll be fine.

Have you given him plenty of hiding opportunities? What's the temperature in his tank? Is he only a baby? If so, don't leave it too long before you seek further help. Good luck.

adamanteus
03-29-2007, 03:31 PM
I don't mean to sound patronising Danny, but I have been keeping reptiles for 40 years, so I've seen some stuff. I'm only an hour's drive away from you, I could come and look if you like.

dannyj
03-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Hyde is 15 minutes away - i will try it on some worms tomorrow, il get some pictures up and see how it goes and if there is no change soon any help would really be appreciated adam thanks

adamanteus
03-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Hyde is 15 minutes away - Hey, you haven't seen my car!!:D Just let me know if you get worried and we'll put our heads together.

Snaky
03-29-2007, 04:22 PM
Another trick might be to try some live fish. Put them in just enough water so they need to splash in the water. This might get their attention and is good to get them started. And, like the others said, give him food seperately.

Cazador
03-29-2007, 04:41 PM
Hey Danny,

It makes a lot of sense that you only got them about 1.5 weeks ago. Not always, but it's not uncommon when snakes fail to eat for 1-2 weeks after their arrival. There's an amount of stress associated with the transfer and getting settled into a new habitat. He should get a bit hungry before long, though.

Rick

abcat1993
03-29-2007, 05:03 PM
When mine wouldn't eat for almost a month I got a worm (I think, if not then a pinky) and fed it in it's enclosure instead of taking it out and putting it somewhere.
PS: If somebody already said this I'm sorry because I didn't read all the posts so yeah.

Cazador
03-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Hey Matt,

How's your snake eating now?

Rick

adamanteus
03-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Yeah Matt, we haven't heard about your snake for a while. Is he eating now?

dannyj
03-31-2007, 03:20 PM
UPDATE:

I seperated it from the others and provided a wet piece of paper towel, water bowl and 2 pinkies - i woke up next morning to find it had shed its skin and ate 1 of the pinkies:)

adamanteus
03-31-2007, 03:28 PM
Good one Danny. Really pleased for you. You can feed him up to a similar size to the others now!

Cazador
03-31-2007, 05:18 PM
Congrats Danny. Like James suggested, I'd offer him plenty of food right away, and make sure the temp is warm (75-85 F) to enhance his digestion/absorption/metabolism and he has enough calcium to support rapid bone growth.

Thamnophis
04-01-2007, 01:10 AM
That is good news!