PDA

View Full Version : Fear of mouth rot in 0.1 parietalis (possibly pregnant)

hitsurfer
03-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Hi every one!
First of all, sorry for my poor english - I'm danish:-)

I'm writing this thread, because I hope some of you can give me some advice on mouth rot in Thamnophis.

I fear that my female T. s. parietalis has a great possibility of getting mouth rot. The problem is that I have tried to remove some shavings from her mouth after a feeding some days ago. (from now on I feed her in a separate box without substrate). I tried to be very careful when I opened her mouth, but unfortunately it resulted in a little bit bleeding in her mouth.

Have any of you experienced a great risk of getting mouth rot as a result of wounds in the mouth of the snake? or will it just heal up nicely if the snake is healthy in general?

I clear and disinfect the water bowl everyday.

But if she's developing mouth rot, do any of you then have some advice on curing it at an early stage?

The fear is overwhelming because I observed mating on the 15. march. So it will be a catastrophe is she's getting sick:-(

Thanks alot!!!

Stefan-A
03-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Welcome aboard. Your English is fine, don't worry. :)

If you just suspect there's a risk, you can try to keep the snake in as close to sterile conditions as possible, switch from shavings to paper towels or something similar. You should also be looking out for any signs of discoloration inside the mouth. If you see anything, it's best to get it to a vet as soon as possible.

As long as the snake eats normally, there should be little cause for concern.

Mommy2many
03-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your friend!

guidofatherof5
03-19-2010, 01:39 PM
I think as long as you keep things as clean as you can you shouldn't have too many worries about mouth rot. Snakes are prone to mouth injuries if housed and fed together. As long as your enclosure is kept clean I won't worry too much.
Nice to have you on the forum.

hitsurfer
03-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks for your advices!
Nice to be on a forum dedicated to Thamnophis.

She's eating EXTREMELY well, so I will use this activity to look for discoloration in her mouth, so I don't have to force her mouth open again.

I hope everything will be fine, it's my first breeding, so of course I'm a bit worried about her:-(

aSnakeLovinBabe
03-19-2010, 10:09 PM
I wouldn't be too worried.... I have had accidental fights resulting in mouths bleeding before and I've yet to EVER have a garter develop a mouth infection. I did not do much special for them other than observe their faces and tongue flicking closely for a few days. In fact I haven't ever had a snake that developed mouth rot in my care! I had one come to me with it, but I was able to cure it quickly, thank goodness! Just keep a close watch on it, and keep her clean, a healthy snake is tough and should be able to heal it up in no time!

hitsurfer
03-20-2010, 05:12 AM
Thank you very much for your advice!

I will keep her in sterile conditions and feed her frequently and keep an eye on her.

If bad things happen, and she developes the disease, have any of you then advice on curing it at an early stage?

Any way, I will keep you up to date and hopefully you won't hear from me until she gives birth to 30 snakebabies:-)

Thanks alot everybody

Nice forum to be on!

drache
03-20-2010, 08:59 AM
thankfully I know nothing about mouth rot first hand
welcome to our forum

guidofatherof5
03-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Thank you very much for your advice!

I will keep her in sterile conditions and feed her frequently and keep an eye on her.

If bad things happen, and she developes the disease, have any of you then advice on curing it at an early stage?

The care sheet on the home page is always a great resource. Here's a link:

http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Mouth_Rot

Odie
03-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Hi, from Oregon, hitsurfer :)