PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Breeders

duh duh duh
04-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Hi there

I'm quite interested in some of the cool hybrids that people are breeding (in particular some of the ones of Scott Felzer's site). In addition, I think the Oregon Red Spot and the California Red Sided are really neat snakes.

However...

I can't seem to find any Canadian breeders who deal in Garters, with the exception of Checkered Garters which I'm not terribly fond of.

Are there any Alberta or Canadian Breeders out there?

If so, what have you got coming this year?

If not, then I have a line on a tortoise that I think is really cool and will go that route instead. (I would prefer a Garter though).

GarterGuy
04-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Sounds like you should be talking to Ryan at Valley Pets http://www.angelfire.com/ns2/valleypets (http://www.angelfire.com/ns2/valleypets)
He's working with Maritime garters (T.s.pallidulus) and has some really beautiful animals. He's located in Nova Scotia.
Roy

duh duh duh
04-12-2007, 08:03 PM
I am familiar with his site. Unfortunately our province prevents us from purchasing certain native species which he is selling. They aren't really options on there for me I am afraid.

Plus I'm 100% against catching wild garters and re-selling them as feeders for other snakes. I find it repugnant to be honest. I'm surprised more people around here don't.

GarterGuy
04-13-2007, 12:26 AM
Yeh, I don't really care for it either....but T.s.pallidulus is a subspecies I've really wanted to work with for quite a while and I've had a really hard time frinding them. I also know people who work with snake eating species (king cobras, corals, ect.) that depend on some supply of "feeder" snakes. Ryan does breed quite a number of them as well, so not sure just how many are actually supplied just through being wild collected.

microsnake
06-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Where did you find the Checkered garters? I live in Canada (BC) and I'm looking for a source of captive-bred garters that I can legally keep. I'm not particularly picky about species/subspecies but I really like garter snakes. Do you know what the laws are (though it varies from province to province anyway)? I read through the relevant sections but it didn't mention where captive breds fell, and I'm not sure if whether the subspecies is native or not makes a difference. Thanks, and I hope you find the garters you are looking for.

keelerskiddiecare
07-20-2010, 05:58 PM
I too would like to find Canadian CB Garters, and I have tried the link above ... it does not work. So any information on any CB garters in Canada would be much appreciated, well other than the $1600 flames. A little to rich for a gift for my 11 yr old.