PDA

View Full Version : Sad News

Nova89
04-10-2007, 05:43 PM
I had my garter for almost a year now (9 months). It is one of the longest pets I have ever had. However, after I joined this site I found out it was a full grown male which didn't make me too happy. I wanted a snake that could grow and this isn't doing much. I thought about getting a female garter, and they could have eachother's company, but in the end I realized he's going to have to go sometime, and in the end he may end up dying while I have him. I am already very attached but I cannot wait until the last minute to give him up. Tomorrow I am going to buy a king snake and possibly release the garter into the wild. If anyone wants him though, I will send him immediately because I trust you. And it will also be free of charge, he is very healthy.

adamanteus
04-10-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm sorry to hear that...despite what they say, size isn't so important!

Nova89
04-10-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm sorry to hear that...despite what they say, size isn't so important!

Lol so true, but sometimes he is really aggressive. He strikes after me, and it takes years to get a hold of him when he is in his tank. I handle him frequently but I don't know what's the problem. When I first bought him I was going to return him because I thought he was wild caught. Never in my life have I ever had a garter snake so aggressive. The only time he is calm and relaxed and "looks" docile is when he is in his cage. Besides that, he is somewhat bad. I was very sick a few months ago, and I made sure I cleaned his cage and gave him food every week, even though I was so weak. I want something that is much easier to handle.

Cazador
04-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Of course you have to make up your own mind, but be sure it's what you really want. Personally, I think it's better to keep a small snake that you enjoy than to have a large snake that bores you. I hope you find someone who can "adopt" it if you decide not to keep it. Best of luck,

Rick

Nova89
04-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Now I have good news, I bought my Striped California Kingsnake today and SHE is doing very well. She is exploring her home and seems to be getting along with me very fine. She is very docile, but also a little shy. I also found a petshop that is willing to take my garter snake. Everything seems to be going good.

adamanteus
04-11-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm pleased that you have found a snake you get along with, but is a pet shop the best option for your Garter? Do you not have a friend who might take it on for you?

Nova89
04-11-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm pleased that you have found a snake you get along with, but is a pet shop the best option for your Garter? Do you not have a friend who might take it on for you?

All of them are either scared of snakes, or their parents just won't allow it.

adamanteus
04-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Ah, I know that feeling! At first, I was never allowed to keep reptiles when I was very young. I had to hide them! Luckily my parents came around to the idea in time, and eventually allowed me to have a small collection, which I could change, but not expand upon. I think I was about eight or nine when I had my first "legitimate" vivarium, with pride of place in my room. I'm very grateful to them for their tolerance, it gave me the opportunity to start learning about reptiles from quite an early age.

Nova89
04-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Ah, I know that feeling! At first, I was never allowed to keep reptiles when I was very young. I had to hide them! Luckily my parents came around to the idea in time, and eventually allowed me to have a small collection, which I could change, but not expand upon. I think I was about eight or nine when I had my first "legitimate" vivarium, with pride of place in my room. I'm very grateful to them for their tolerance, it gave me the opportunity to start learning about reptiles from quite an early age.

Beofre I bought my garter snake, I kept asking my mom for one and she said she didn't wany any snake in the house. Well guess what I did? One day I bought it and just brung it home and she didn't say a thing. So I was ablt to keep it.

adamanteus
04-11-2007, 02:11 PM
That's pretty much how it happened with me. I was forbidden from keeping them, but I just kept on bringing them home! No amount of shouting or being grounded would stop me. I guess my parents eventually realised that my interest wasn't going to just go away. I think it also helped that my Father was born in Canada, and had grown up playing with Garter snakes, so he was probably a little more sympathetic than my Mother.

Cazador
04-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Before I bought my garter snake, I kept asking my mom for one and she said she didn't want any snake in the house.

You obviously did a good job taking care of it or else you wouldn't have been able to buy the new kingsnake. It sounds like you were able to teach your parents something? Congratulations :cool:.

Rick

Josh
04-11-2007, 04:55 PM
can you post a picture because i am lookingfor a new snake

Nova89
04-14-2007, 06:49 PM
can you post a picture because i am lookingfor a new snake

Sure no problem. This is my kingsnake.