PDA

View Full Version : Grass Snakes.

adamanteus
04-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Hi All, I finally did it! I went out today to a spot I know to hunt for Grass Snakes (Natrix natrix helvetica). It was a long and difficult day, but after a six hour search I got one! I was hoping for a pair, but there'll be other opportunities I'm sure.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//535/medium/Grass_snake_habitat.jpg

Grass Snake habitat. Cheshire, England.

adamanteus
04-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Here's what I got. The lump in it's side (against the water dish) is a frog he swallowed before I caught him!

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//535/medium/Grass_snake1.jpg

Natrix natrix helvetica.

adamanteus
04-12-2007, 01:34 PM
And just in case you all thought I'd caught a headless one!

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//535/medium/Head_shot_2.jpg

Head shot.

adamanteus
04-12-2007, 01:37 PM
And just one more.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//535/medium/Head_shot_1.jpg

I know the photos aren't so good, I didn't want to stress him too much just yet, especially as he has a meal in his stomach. Better pics to follow soon.

Snaky
04-12-2007, 02:00 PM
It's very nice. It surprises me that you are able to catch and keep them. It's not done here for any local reptiles, with some nice punishments... I've heard from quite some German keepers that they are very interesting to keep.

adamanteus
04-12-2007, 02:03 PM
We are allowed to catch some species here, but not all. I have kept Grass Snakes before, they are fun, pretty much like a Garter Snake really.

ssssnakeluvr
04-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Nice snake!!!!! I want to get a couple breeding pairs....very nice snakes!!!

jewel-dragons
04-12-2007, 02:08 PM
sorrie but this is not an grass snake but a ring snake.....

adamanteus
04-12-2007, 02:09 PM
I was hoping to catch a pair, but this one was all I saw. I'll get another on my next visit!

adamanteus
04-12-2007, 02:11 PM
sorrie but this is not an grass snake but a ring snake.....

In the UK it's a Grass Snake. Either way it's N. n. helvetica.

Stefan-A
04-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Nice. :)

Still haven't figured out what permits you need to keep domestic species (haven't really tried either), but I'm still dreaming of those grass snakes. :D

You haven't had any smooth snakes, have you James? :confused:

adamanteus
04-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Never even seen one Stefan...which is just as well because they are fully protected here. I don't know if I could resist!!

drache
04-12-2007, 02:52 PM
And just one more.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//535/medium/Head_shot_1.jpg

I know the photos aren't so good, I didn't want to stress him too much just yet, especially as he has a meal in his stomach. Better pics to follow soon.

You should blush for that comment, James

Some of us wish we could take pics remotely as good as this in our good moments

and the snake is absolutely lovely

do you speak parsel tongue as well, to charm them into keeping still for you?

adamanteus
04-12-2007, 02:58 PM
do you speak parsel tongue as well, to charm them into keeping still for you?

I just used super-glue on his chin!:D Thanks for your kind comments.:o

dannyj
04-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Quality James - 6 hours is a long time though -your mad - but you got what you wanted

Keep us informed on progress and well done

adamanteus
04-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks Danny. Next time you could come with me...then you can get your feet wet too! I'll keep him quarantined for a while, then once he's in a proper viv I'll post some more (better) photos.

Cazador
04-12-2007, 05:20 PM
What a beauty, James!!! I was really impressed the first time you guys started posting pictures of grass snakes, but this one's something else... great pattern and definition. What's the story? Was it in the water or on the bank, and did you have to chase it? Inquiring minds want to know.

Rick

Parselmouth, heh, heh, heh. Jump in my bag, little snake :D.

adamanteus
04-12-2007, 05:28 PM
He is a beauty isn't he? He was resting on a floating mat of vegetation, having just swallowed a frog. I spotted him and just kinda launched myself headlong into the slop! Then he musked me...as if I wasn't messed up enough already! I'm just really pleased he didn't regurgitate his meal.

Josh
04-12-2007, 06:01 PM
when are u goin back?

Sid
04-12-2007, 06:15 PM
James,
Nice capture... and the photos are very good.

Sid

adamanteus
04-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Thankyou Sid. From an experienced "field man" such as yourself, that is praise indeed.

Cazador
04-12-2007, 06:50 PM
How funny. I can picture you jumping into that marsh, but at least it paid off :D. Was that the only one you saw, or did you jump in for any that got away?

Stefan-A
04-12-2007, 10:39 PM
He is a beauty isn't he? He was resting on a floating mat of vegetation, having just swallowed a frog. I spotted him and just kinda launched myself headlong into the slop! Then he musked me...as if I wasn't messed up enough already! I'm just really pleased he didn't regurgitate his meal.
Crikey! ;)

stonyloam
04-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Interesting; what we always called “grass snakes” are really smooth green snakes (Opheodrys vernalis). When I was a kid we used to find them all the time when we picked up hay bales out of the fields.

adamanteus
04-13-2007, 06:12 AM
Interesting; what we always called “grass snakes” are really smooth green snakes (Opheodrys vernalis). When I was a kid we used to find them all the time when we picked up hay bales out of the fields.

It can be confusing using common names, when they differ from country to country, or even from region to region. That's why I always try to use scientific names when I can.

Stefan-A
04-13-2007, 06:33 AM
It can be confusing using common names, when they differ from country to country, or even from region to region. That's why I always try to use scientific names when I can.
Indeed. And it gets even more problematic when you try to translate the names.

The Finnish name for grass snake would be translated as "shore snake" and the direct translation of the Swedish name would most likely simply be "snake" or "common snake", considering that the Swedish word "snok" is very closely related to the word "snake". "Snok" also happens to be the word used for colubrids in general.

So yes, I too prefer using or at least mentioning the scientific name.

edit: If you didn't quite get that "Crikey!" I posted earlier, I just pictured you as Steve Irwin. :D

adamanteus
04-13-2007, 06:47 AM
So, what's the scientific name for the Common Shore Snok Snake, Stefan?:confused: :D

adamanteus
04-13-2007, 06:49 AM
If you didn't quite get that "Crikey!" I posted earlier, I just pictured you as Steve Irwin. :D

Oh right! No I had missed that reference. I'm afraid my little adventure doesn't come close to anything of Steve's...bless him.:(

Stefan-A
04-13-2007, 06:51 AM
I don't remember. :p Something about a matrix. ;)

Oh right! No I had missed that reference. I'm afraid my little adventure doesn't come close to anything of Steve's...bless him.:(
But try picturing him telling that same story. :D

adamanteus
04-13-2007, 07:00 AM
But try picturing him telling that same story. :D

Take look at this little beauty! Ripper! .....Splash!!

RedSided
04-13-2007, 07:22 AM
I HATE YOU !:mad: not literally, but I have searched endlessly for grass snakes and they are something that I would realy love to keep.They are the closest thing we have to garters in UK and I would dearly love to find one.

If you could get a breeding pair keep me in mind , I would pay through the nose for some grass snakes.

adamanteus
04-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Much as would love to help you, in the UK it's illegal to sell any native species. You can collect for "your own use" but you are not permitted to trade them. I'm afraid you'll have to collect your own. I believe there are quite a few spots in Wales where Grass Snakes (Natrix natrix helvetica)can be found. We have a few Welsh members on the forum, you could post a thread in the "Wanted" section, I'm sure someone could point you in the right direction.

adamanteus
05-19-2007, 04:07 PM
So, after keeping this snake for a month I've decided to let him go. He's doing fine, very healthy and so on but even so I think it's time I released him.

In the past I have always collected a pair, bred them and then released the babies when they hatch. This time I was only able to find the one, and somehow it doesn't seem right to take him from the wild for no productive reason.

Besides which, this evening I was watching him cruising his viv, only twice his body length, and I remembered the vast, wild area I had taken him from. I guess I had something of a "Road to Damascas" moment! So tomorrow he's free, in the exact spot I caught him.

There are plenty of captive bred snakes out there that I want. I've come to a decision.....I will still hunt for snakes, I'll catch them and photograph them, but from now on nothing comes home with me.

I'm not going to judge anyone who collects from the wild. If no one did it, non of us would have any snakes to keep at all!

So I have an empty viv! What's available guys?:D

Stefan-A
05-19-2007, 04:53 PM
So I have an empty viv! What's available guys?:D
Didn't you already order 1.2 radix from someone? ;)

adamanteus
05-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Haha! So I did!

Sputnik
05-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Good on you, James.:) I always feel a little sad about wild caught snakes.

My sons and I saw a grass snake swimming across our local river recently. It was absolutely amazing! I had never seen a snake in the wild before.The occasional slow worm, but no snake. I took a couple of bad photos which I'll dig out tomorrow.

chloe
05-20-2007, 01:53 PM
I have a pair of captive bred natrix natrix, i bought in Hamm. I can buy some more when i am next over there if anyone is interested.

adamanteus
05-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Which sub-species do you have , Chloe?

Sputnik
05-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Sorry, slightly off topic, but are you planning to go over in September, Chloe? I might be going with a friend. Ironically I'm in Germany the following weekend, too, for my sister's wedding.

Thamnophis
05-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Good thing you released the grass snake, James. Respect!!!

Cazador
05-21-2007, 03:36 PM
James,

It's a tough thing to do, but it also shows a lot of character. Good on yeh, mate ;).

Rick

chloe
05-21-2007, 04:32 PM
Yes i am going over in september. The grass snakes i bought were just labled natrix natrix and look like the common grass snake.

CrazyHedgehog
05-22-2007, 08:37 AM
hey we should have a thamnophis.com meeting point in Hamm!:D

adamanteus
05-22-2007, 11:57 AM
hey we should have a thamnophis.com meeting point in Hamm!:D

That's a great idea, Inge. I'm going to try to get there this next time.

adamanteus
05-22-2007, 12:02 PM
James,

It's a tough thing to do, but it also shows a lot of character. Good on yeh, mate ;).

Rick

Thanks, Rick. It was difficult, but I felt it was the right thing to do. Had I found a female too, I might have felt differently.

Markus18
05-22-2007, 12:45 PM
when is the next meeting in hamm?maybe i go there to look for 2 thamnophis radix.
markus

Sputnik
05-23-2007, 05:29 AM
15th of September, I think.

arborealboids
05-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Cool, hmm I thought Grass Snakes were protected in the UK? Anyways, sweet catch.
~Mark

PS- in the US they are also known as Grass Snakes (N. n. helvetica).

adamanteus
05-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Mark, they are protected in most of Europe, but in the UK they only have partial protection; meaning we can't sell or trade them.

Morph
06-28-2007, 03:12 PM
added to this thread on suggestion :)

british reptiles:

Adders
These are found all over Britain and are our only snakes with a poisonous bite, but this is rarely fatal to humans. Adult adders are usually up to 66 cms long. Background colouration is a light shade of grey or brown with a black zigzag marking along the length of the back. As with all reptiles, colouration varies and becomes duller as sloughing (skin shedding) approaches. Adders have the most varied diet of British snakes, feeding mainly on field voles, but also mice, lizards, nestling birds, eggs and amphibians.
Grass snake
Grass snakes, which are usually around 120 cms long, live in a variety of rough habitats with long grass, and lay their eggs into piles of warm, rotting vegetation. They become rarer the further north you travel and are hardly ever found in Scotland. The background colour is dark green and the body is marked with black vertical bars and spots which run along the sides, and there is usually a collar marking.
Grass snakes are surprisingly good swimmers and they feed mainly on amphibians such as toads, frogs, newts and small fish.
Smooth snake
The smooth snake (length up to 70 cms) lives on heathlands in Dorset, Hampshire and Surrey where it can lay its eggs in sandy soils. These snakes have round pupils to their eyes, greyish background colour with usually two rows of darker brown or black markings along the back. Smooth snakes feed on other reptiles, mostly slow worms and lizards, but small mammals such as pygmy shrews and young birds are also taken.
Sand lizard
The sand lizard prefers to lay eggs into shallow hollows dug in sandy soil. Like the smooth snake, it is found mainly in southern Britain, but also on the dunes of the Merseyside coast. These lizards, which can grow to 20 cms, have a grey-beige background with dark brown blotches. Sand lizards have the ability to take food in large quantities when it is freely available and will eat most types of insects, worms, slugs, and can eat their own young too, if necessary.
Common lizard
Common lizards (also known as viviparous lizard) can live almost anywhere, but they prefer reasonably warm places with good basking sites and are frequently found on the stony ballast around railway lines. Adults can reach 14 cms and colouration can include shades of brown, grey and dark green. They are insect eaters and also eat small snails.
Slow worm
Slow worms are really lizards, but have evolved into a legless form to suit their burrowing lifestyle. Slow worms prefer well vegetated places which give good cover from predators. They have an almost cylindrical body which is hard and smooth to the touch, with a polished-looking grey or brown colouration. The young are shades of coppery gold with vivid dark brown sides. They feed mainly upon slugs, but also eat worms, spiders and snails.

I have personally seen all of these with the exception of sand lizards. I will be taking a trip to salisbury later this year in the hope of spotting at least 1.

Lulu Bennett
06-28-2007, 03:15 PM
omg we have something that beautiful over here? omg

Morph
06-28-2007, 03:17 PM

yes indeed we do.

the best place i find to see the majority of species is to go to army ranges.

the sand and vegetation regularly found at army ranges makes a great place for them to live.

adamanteus
06-28-2007, 03:18 PM

Sure do! Just a 30 minute drive from where you are right now!

Lulu Bennett
06-28-2007, 03:21 PM
really where about?

adamanteus
06-28-2007, 03:28 PM
really where about?

The nearest sure place I know of for Grass Snakes is Delamere forest. I've caught them there for years. We also have Adders, Common Lizards and Slow Worms near by. Plus Sand Lizards not far from Southport.

adamanteus
04-27-2008, 04:00 PM
This thread got dug up again tonight, after nearly a year!
So I got to thinking.... I have a bit of spare time on my hands just now, maybe I'll go and have another look.... not to bring anything home, just to catch and photograph..... In fact, if the weather holds good I might go in the morning.:)

Sputnik
04-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Sounds like a great idea, James. Dillon and I spotted one in the river last week. We were so excited! I will try to upload the video over the next couple of days.

Sid
04-27-2008, 04:24 PM
This thread got dug up again tonight, after nearly a year!
So I got to thinking.... I have a bit of spare time on my hands just now, maybe I'll go and have another look.... not to bring anything home, just to catch and photograph..... In fact, if the weather holds good I might go in the morning.:)
Good luck, James. They are beautiful.

Sputnik
04-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Any luck, James?

adamanteus
04-28-2008, 01:08 PM
We had rain.... cold, heavy, persistent 'Manchester' rain. Nice.:mad:
Maybe later in the week I'll get the chance.

Charlet_2007
04-28-2008, 04:20 PM
In the UK it's a Grass Snake. Either way it's N. n. helvetica.

in the united states a ring snake is this tiny little guy lol

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q61/zoie18_2001/ringneck2.jpg

jeanette
04-28-2008, 04:29 PM
nice snake :)
never tried catching a wild snake.

Lori P
04-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Oooooooh. I liiiiiiike. A LOT.

EdgyExoticReptiles
04-28-2008, 07:00 PM
i like the ring neck, but there hard to care for right?