PDA

View Full Version : Ok Ive done my Research

jimijaw
04-12-2007, 04:20 PM
I think I am ready to get a few Garter snakes. Ive been into snakes for quite some time just never had any Garters. Id like to get a few opinions of what I should start out with. I will need ones that eat earth worms or pinky mice since I have a rodent breeding station here at home. I live in the country so getting lizards, anoles, guppies would be a real strain on my pocket book due to the fuel prices nowadays. Worms are no problem since there is a bait shop just down the road. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Jimi

adamanteus
04-12-2007, 04:33 PM
I guess the first consideration would be "what species are available"? Most Garters will accept worms (not too many) pinkies and fish. You don't need to feed live, whole fish Jimi, you can use frozen/thawed fish pieces such as trout. You won't need to use lizards. In short, pretty much any Garter species.

Cazador
04-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Hi Jimi,

That's kind of a tough one. I'm pretty sure that all garters will eat worms, and many will convert to pinkies after a bit of scenting. I've heard that T. cyrtopsis can be pretty difficult to get to eat pinkies, but there are always exceptions. I'd start by looking at our "articles" section (just click on the tab at the top right of any page). Sid, Hans, and others have put a lot of effort into adding pictures of different species/subspecies. You can also check out Fons's website (Kousebandslangen.nl (http://www.kousebandslangen.nl/index1.htm)). It's in Dutch, but all you have to do is click on a species name followed by the "Foto's" box. He's done an excellent job of posting many pictures for each species/subspecies and even several different morphs. After you've found one you really like, you can double-check on its diet, availability, size, demeanor, etc. to see if it's really what you want. Hope this helps,

Rick

jimijaw
04-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Adamanteus and Cazador Thank you very much!!!! I will check out the link and Im glad that pieces of frozen thawed fish will work as I am an avid fisherman and early spring around here means trout:) Again thanks. Jimi

FitnessFreak
04-12-2007, 04:43 PM
holy smokes you have got alot of snakes! how do you take care of them all?:eek:

adamanteus
04-12-2007, 04:54 PM
You're welcome Jimi. Good luck with your choice. Whatever you finally get there are people on here who are willing and able to answer your questions.

jimijaw
04-12-2007, 04:57 PM
holy smokes you have got alot of snakes! how do you take care of them all?:eek:
Actually its pretty easy Im disabled so Im home most all the time and I raise my own mice and rats. I love snakes and they keep me busy enough that Im a happy guy except that I cant get enough snakes. I have 2 empty bedrooms that I plan on filling up with snakes:eek: . I just love it!!!!:D Jimi

adamanteus
04-12-2007, 05:00 PM
I wish I had that amount of space...I was looking at the possibility of converting the back seat of my car!

jimijaw
04-12-2007, 05:02 PM
I wish I had that amount of space...I was looking at the possibility of converting the back seat of my car!
Now that could work LOL!:D

Cazador
04-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Jimi,

If you put a 10" trout in a plastic Ziploc bag for 45 minutes or so, you might get enough fish slime to scent your entire mouse colony ;). I doubt you'll have any trouble converting them with trout onhand. Just wash the pinkies first. Then scent them, and mix them in with fish chunks, so the snake is surprised by its first mouthful of a pinkie.

Rick

jimijaw
04-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Jimi,

If you put a 10" trout in a plastic Ziploc bag for 45 minutes or so, you might get enough fish slime to scent your entire mouse colony ;). I doubt you'll have any trouble converting them with trout onhand. Just wash the pinkies first. Then scent them, and mix them in with fish chunks, so the snake is surprised by its first mouthful of a pinkie.

Rick
That is a great idea! I will do that thanks so much!!!!! Jimi
OBTW I so far have found a pic of a Garter that really gets to me but Im not sure they are available here since the site is in dutch. I already forgot the scientific name but it also goes by narrow headed Garter. Jimi

adamanteus
04-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Narrow-headed...That would be T. rufipunctatus? I guess it all depends on availability Jimi. Post a thread on the forum requesting that species...you never know. I think it's a New Mexico/Mexico species, but no doubt somebody will correct me on that!

jimijaw
04-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Thank you James I will do that:) Jimi

Josh
04-12-2007, 06:02 PM
i hope the garter snakes work out for u

Sid
04-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Hi Jimi,
My personal experience is with T. Sirtalis sirtalis (Easter Garter) and all of mine have been very difficult to switch to a rodent diet and my other is T sirtalis concinnus (Oregon red-spotted) which were the total opposite- switched to pinkies with no effort at all.

Good luck with whatever you choose,
Sid

Cazador
04-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Jimi,

Remember that all garters are native to North and Central America. Shorthead garters aren't very common in the pet trade, but part of the fun (for me at least) is to scheme about ways to get which garters I want. Do I know anybody from their native range, or could I plan a herping trip there for any other reason? Another member of this forum (Daniel) has created a program called SnakeFinder. It shows the home ranges for each of the species/subspecies. Have a look (snakefinder (http://www.gartersnake.de/snakefinder/snakefinder.html)).

Rick

FitnessFreak
04-12-2007, 09:14 PM
i had to convince my mom just to let me keep ONE snake lol -.-

Snaky
04-13-2007, 07:37 AM
If you really only want to give mice and worms, I'd suggest not to take cyrtopsis. From my own experience, they are quite difficult to get them to eat pinkies/worms.

I can say concinnus and marcianus are easy eaters and quite easy converted to pinkies:)

ClosedCasket88
04-13-2007, 08:25 AM
get a checkered or an eastern , they seem to take pinkies and chunks of meat alittle easyer than other subspecies . i never had problems with these guys

GarterGuy
04-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Yeh, you're right James.....T. rufipunctatus is a New Mexico/Mexico species. As far as them being available.....probably not going to happen. I believe they are a protected species in their Norht American habitats and as we've found out before, everything in Mexico is protected. If found, this species is primarily a fish eater....living more like a watersnake then a garter snake (although I've heard of people getting various species of water snakes to take scented mice as well). If you're really just looking for a "pet" snake, you're best off getting a nice captive bred individual of one of the commonly bred species, like T.s.sirtalis, T.s.concinnus, T.s.parietalis, ect. These would be very used to being in captive conditions and taking captive diets.
Roy

jimijaw
04-15-2007, 11:51 PM
A great big thanks to all of you for your help and Info, Next month I will be buying some garters so when I get them I will post some pics:D Again thank you all, Youre such a wonderful group and Im glad Im here!. Jimi

Cazador
04-16-2007, 12:33 AM
Jimi,

Have you narrowed it down to a single species or subspecies yet?

Rick

jimijaw
04-19-2007, 01:05 AM
Not yet but Im pretty much open now. There are so many beautiful ones I cant decide LOL! I do think Id like to get some of breeder age and work from there. Thanks Jimi