PDA

View Full Version : Slither Sacks Useful Idea or not?

Selkielass
06-28-2010, 01:14 PM
I've been submerging myself in snake caresheets and videos the last week or so,and I think I have the seed of an idea for a home business- Slither Sacks- Deluxe transport/shipping bags for your snakes.

I have an idea for a double closure that *should* be escape proof yet easy to open, but I need to know what if any of these things you look for in a snake transport bag.

Fabric weight- Light like a pillowcase? Heavy (Stronger but bulkier?) Autoclaveable? Boilable? Washable/bleachable? Decorative? (Fancy Asian brocade gift bag style?) Flannel lined? Waterproof gore-tex?
Insulated? Padded for protection? Hemp to resist bacteria?
Pocket to hold I.D. Labels? Screen Printed designs or warnings?

What would be your ideal in a reusable transport sack, and how would it vary by size and species?

I'd like to know what you would consider worth buying before I start designing prototypes.

guidofatherof5
06-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Very interesting idea.
I now use a very simple bag from www.superiorenterprise.com (http://www.superiorenterprise.com). I discovered them when a snake was shipped to me in one(Thanks Thomas)
Maybe seeing these other ones will help with some ideas.
Best of luck.

Stefan-A
06-28-2010, 02:10 PM
I could use something (for transportation, not shipping) with a rigid or semi-rigid construction, ventilated, insulated, collapsible if possible. Double lids, the inner transparent, the outer insulated. I'd look to cool bags and camera bags for ideas.

guidofatherof5
06-29-2010, 06:44 AM
I just checked the link I provided and found it was no longer active. Here is the redirected link: It appears the bags will be available in the future.
superiorshippingsupplies.com (http://superiorshippingsupplies.com/)

Nafun
06-29-2010, 07:02 AM
I just made simple bags out of cotton cloth, and then I "double bag" into a softsided insulated lunchbox. Persistent escapees get triple bagged. Snake bag into small kritter keeper into insulated lunchbox.

drache
06-29-2010, 07:18 AM
that's a nice idea for a business

the bags I use most often are the basic pillowcase design, and I often wish for bags to be longer to make the knotting of the end easier
I also have some draw-string bags that I think originally came with super worms in them. they are long enough that I can wrap the drawstring around a twisted doubled over part of the bag

I do like bags for larger animals to be made of a fairly sturdy fabric, whereas I like the ones for smaller critters to be a bit lighter to make it easier to feel the animal through the bag

I also like to put the bags into something rigid for protection
perhaps you can create some bags with rigid inserts, sort of along a tent pole principle; or even universal snake bag inserts of some sort

Scott once sent me one in a gift bag, and I really liked that (I think I forgot to thank him for that part because I was all gaga over the snakes)
have you seen those eco gift bags that can be registered on a site, so that one can follow it's progress through successive givers (if they keep up)?

personally I also like the idea of using renewable, locally available materials, even if you're looking to ship world-wide

Snakeknot
06-29-2010, 08:22 AM
You mean like this? Gee, what do to with all those jeans you can no longer fit into? Make snake bags outta them! Don't worry, I'm not going to mass market these. It involves sewing and that's just not one of my better skills. The tops are closed with sticky velcro strips that I ironed on. Works great on my smaller snakes like the sand boas.

Devon

Selkielass
07-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Wow, Thanks for the thoughtful responses- I've been digesting the info and trying to brainstorm some ideas.

Steve- thanks so much for the links- I did find the site and studied their offerings- the ones designed for venemous snakes are a very interesting design!

Stefan-A I've been thinking hard about your idea. It sounds like you'd like a 'Swiss Army' does everything container. Problem is, that like any machine or system, the more things you try to have it to, the more ways it can go wrong!

The simplest design I can think of would be a sixpack sized soft cooler with an inner transparent lid that zips snugly in place. Problem with this is window screenings and mesh aren't terribly transparent, and clear vinyl would wear, scratch and tear rather quickly. Zipper installation would be tricky too- something between a sleeping bag with a zip on insect veil and a pup-tent with a double window and door that zip shut in layers.
Very tricky , hard to make escape proof, and probably pretty expensive. How much would a system like this be worth to you? I'm not sure I could make it cost effectively myself *or* be able to sell enough of them to make having a batch run up overseas work out.

Rhea- The tent pole idea is workable. Plastic corset boning can be inserted into casings to make a sort of Mini Pup tent. They would have to be removed for cleaning, but that wouldn't be hard. If I go Eco-friendly, it will probably be by recycling materials like Snakeknots Pants leg.

I'm thinking about fully flat felled (Like Blue Jean seams) bags with tucked bottoms and a double closing top using both velcro securing straps and drawstrings secured by spring locking toggles. (You often see these toggles on ski-jackets.)

I'm going to start with some simple cotton prototypes and see If I can come up with anything I'm happy to put my name on.

Stefan-A
07-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Stefan-A I've been thinking hard about your idea. It sounds like you'd like a 'Swiss Army' does everything container. Problem is, that like any machine or system, the more things you try to have it to, the more ways it can go wrong!
Actually, I've found several products (cool bags, fish bags, bait bags etc.) that fill my requirements to about 75%. It's really just a question of whether I can bring them up to 100% with some simple "aftermarket modifications".

ConcinusMan
07-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Hey, you know those durable clear bags that pillows and comforters come in? I find those so useful around the house and for camping trips. Something like that with a rigid collapsible frame (like those mesh laundry baskets) and ventilation screens would pretty cool. I have some that I've used over and over again. They really don't scratch up all that easily. The only downside is that exposure to UV weakens them and they eventually crack or tear.

http://a.imageshack.us/img84/1702/gedc1631medium.jpg